Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140972 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1005 on: March 01, 2012, 03:30:50 am »

Y NO REACTION TO MAH IDEA

I propose a Deathworld-like setting. An outpost on a hostile planet, with several doppelgangers inside. There's only day phase. By default, everyone gathers in a meeting hall. There are cameras inside, so anyone who exits and enters the hall can be seen by everyone. At any point during the day, anybody can do an action (which takes up the rest of the day) after exiting the hall (though they can be accompanied by someone). For starters, there are three base parameters - food and (separate) defence of the two exits to the base. All three function almost exactly the same. Every turn 1 food is substracted for every player alive and a certain amount of health is deducted from both defences. If either drops below 0, town loses. An action consists of either improving or lowering some parameter, with effect depending on the number of participants. People doing an action together may PM each other and, if there's scum among them which consists of at least one third of all participants, they may infect someone with a spore, functioning like an arson (since a normal kill would be too obvious). People remaining in the hall count as being on a mission together.

What do you think, guys?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:54 am »

Deathworld? Would totally play.
Wait, doppelgangers? You mean aliens or baddies?
But the parameter mechanics would be interesting.

The story is perhaps waiting for a ship to come pick you up?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:54 am »

Wait, doppelgangers? You mean aliens or baddies?
Baddies, obviously.
The story is perhaps waiting for a ship to come pick you up?
Sure, why not.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:21 am »

Y'know, SS13 is very Mafia-like.  I could imagine a game being made based on it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:12 pm »

I have a very funny idea for a bastard mod.
Whoever's up for co-modding just pm me...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 13, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

I have an ide, but its a bit complicated and my english aint that good :/ Dont really now if its even possible but its a "crime mystery" and i think if its executed well it can be pretty good. Writing on it right now and will probably post it when i am done :)
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

Hey guys I decided to run another cybrid mafia because I'm a moron! Yay!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2012, 09:53:33 pm »

*standing ovation*
You've really outdone yourself this time.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 14, 2012, 08:05:37 am »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »

The Holy Grail Mafia!

I had a conversation with Leafsnail a while ago (sometime last year) and last night I was struck with the inability to sleep as a cat tried to devour me.  So...

I'm purposely leaving out names or anything significant so that this wouldn't spoil anybody who plans on doing some Fate/thing eventually.  This eliminates some cool later stuff but whatever I'm just throwing this out as I think about it.

The supervisor for this HGW (Holy Grail War) lies dead before the game has even started!  Which one of was vile enough to break such a huge rule??  The seven masters eye each other in the church on the hill suspiciously, their servants hiding their presence.

Okay so this set-up requires 14 players.  That's a lot.  I'm not sure how to lessen that really.

Before the game starts every player is assigned a role.  Seven become Masters who are pretty much magicians and seven are Servants, magical heroic spirits who support their Master.  Servants can hide themselves from detection, only other Servants can tell if one is nearby, but not what class they are.  Except for Assassin who other Servants can't even detect.

Every HGW assigns seven different Servant classes.  Servant Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, and Assassin.  Their class just points in the direction of what their abilities are.  And Servants themselves are heroic spirits, legendary heroes, people of fame from our timeline.

Anyway with that out of the way let's try to make this a mafia game!

So the supervisor was killed, but who did it?  It had to have been one of the Masters to disturb the game right?

Each Master will have their partner Servant that they can PM between each other (let's go with telepathic thoughts) however let's have it that Servants can also post and talk like their Master counterparts.  Nobody will know who is a Master or Servant.  We'll have the Master's Command Seal hidden instead on their hand (like the inside of their leg or on their back, think Fate/prototype) so you can't identify with a glance who Masters are.

We also can't just have the Masters role-claim who they are.  To prevent that every Master will have the wincon to win the HGW, it's just that the culprit who killed the supervisor needs to be eliminated as soon as possible.  Also winning the HGW involves incapacitating every other Master, whether that means killing them directly or killing their only hope, their Servant.

Wait, here's an idea.  The culprit will have cheated, after killing the supervisor they cheat the game and manage to make their Servant twice or three times as strong, something that the others would have no chance to stand up against.  That would make a good reason to eliminate the culprit.  Of course after the culprit is eliminated the game would still go on until the HGW was won by someone.  At that point it's like a Wizard Mafia I guess?

It would be neat to see the culprit purposely hold back in case their was witnesses I guess.

Anyway, sample game demonstration.

Master 1 has Servant Saber
Master 2 has Servant Assassin
Master 3 has Servant Rider  <----Culprit
Master 4 has Servant Archer
Master 5 has Servant Berserker
Master 6 has Servant Caster
Master 7 has Servant Lancer

Master 3 and Rider both know who the supervisor killer is.  Rider killed the supervisor himself from Master 3's command after all.

Because of this, Rider's stats have become godlike and only the teamwork of the other Masters could defeat him and his Master.  Of course, nobody knows who the culprit is so their goal is going to be to wait it out until they can dominate the rest.

I need to figure out how the Servants stats would work.  I'm thinking a simple HP and attack damage thing with some servants getting special abilities.  It would require a lot of tweaking to make sure it was somewhat fair though.

And I was thinking that Masters can gather clues on Servant's identifies...hmmm

Random first thought stats:

Saber 10 HP 4 ATK
Archer 6 HP 4 ATK special ability??
Lancer 8 HP 4 ATK BAD LUCK
Rider 6 HP 4 ATK special ability??
Caster 4 HP 2 ATK definitely special abilities
Berserker 12 HP 5 ATK (has intelligence & sanity penalties though)
Assassin 3 HP 4 ATK (need to figure out an effective Master ability)

Of course if Rider was the culprit then his stats would be something like 18 HP and 12 ATK.  He'd even be able to kill Berserker in one hit with these stats.

So the culprit will want to eliminate as many people as possible so that their victory was secured.  Of course during the Day I'm guessing the Masters (and Servants) will all vote for who they think is the culprit.

The two culprits will definitely need to avoid getting voted because if the culprit Master dies then the Servant will not be able to stick around and if the culprit Servant dies the Master will have no means to even win the HGW.

Well that's that!!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 16, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »

The way I've been thinking of it is like SMOL only in teams of two and everyone is trying to kill each other at night (with an emphasis on finding the guys who are really hard to kill at night).

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 17, 2012, 06:57:06 am »

I've offered an idea with attack and health a couple of months back (in the Dresden Files setting), but it got stomped out of existence. :(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »

I've offered an idea with attack and health a couple of months back (in the Dresden Files setting), but it got stomped out of existence. :(
Guess it's gone forever then :(

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »

I needs moah people for the cybrid mafia!

Have we ever even had a VIP game here? I don't remember. Its gonna be fun to run one, especially with the VIP also being publicly known and a kingmaker! :P

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:57 pm »

I'm also interested in running a Cybrid mafia later on, though the lack of activity here is concerning and the other Mafia community I (sorta) belong to frowns on cult mechanics. :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:40:50 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 108