Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140923 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1125 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:21 pm »

It wouldn't play out very much like mafia.  Basically for a mafia-like dynamic you have to have an alignment that everyone needs to pretend to be.  Even some weird variants with nonstandard alignments still achieve this (while everyone can only win as mafia in KotM they always need to pretend they are town at the moment, and while there are two factions in Cybrid you always need to pretend to be the dominant one, or at least pretend to be anti-cybrid). If this alignment doesn't exist then you end up with a weird dynamic that isn't quite mafia (see: Systematically Make Others Lose where you just voted losers off one by one, Religious Flame War Mafia in which the majority of players started as survivors and actively wanted to be recruited into cults).

It could still work as a kind of negotiation game.  I'd say though that:
- PMs are probably needed.  It'd be very, very hard to organize any kind of backstabs or alliances if you had to announce everything publicly in-thread.  In fact I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to post in the thread at all really.
- Deception in the actions are needed.  I'd be tempted to just make the actions private until the day ends.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:22 pm »

Incidentally the game can't really start if nobody knows anybody else's alignments, unless everyone agrees to do a massclaim.  My suggestion would be to tell a player who their allies and enemies are, but not which of their allies and enemies are which.  That would allow for a level of deception.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 22, 2013, 02:45:59 am »

I had considered at the beginning of each game telling each player the identity of one other player (either according to an established pattern or at random).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:14 am »

Regarding deception with the actions: as all the roles I outlined above have the appearance of being the normal actions, publically declaring actions would be viable and intersting: when the last vote has been cast, game stops while mod counts the votes, taking into account which of the roles have been activated. Thus, whomever looks like they're going to be lynched, might turn out to be safe when the vote is tallied by the mod, leading to interesting speculation on who activated their role.

But even with the roles, you still don't think there'd be an incentive not to claim, Leafsnail?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 22, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »

It's not that there's no incentive to not claim, it's that the game doesn't work if no-one claims.  You can't form any alliances if you don't know who anyone is, and you can't scumhunt because everyone is basically the same alignment.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 22, 2013, 01:57:58 pm »

I kind of figured it would work with no one claiming. You have to use your protect vote on someone else, so you can form temporary alliances to mutually protect, but these can be undermined when new information comes to light. Maybe false-claiming should be incentivised more, to encourage discussion and hunting.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:10 pm »

But how can you hunt when everyone has fundamentally the same alignment?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:43 pm »

I can see what you're saying. Unlike in mafia though the main activity would be alliance building and then changing those alliances based on the flip. Hmmm... that said, as soon as someone dies, there's two people who will win instantly if their other enemy is killed. Everyone else has an incentive to make sure one of these two are lynched next and everyone has an incentive to claim that they were allies of the deceased. There the hunting would come in.

At the end of the day, you'd only really see what would happen if you run it. Of course, you could start off the game with someone already dead and have it be four player, but I'm not sure that would be as fun. Alternatively, it could be scaled up to seven player- each with two allies and three enemies.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

You just about need a sixth player who has a separate wincon than everyone else.   Problem there then is said person is screwed come massclaim.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 22, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

You just about need a sixth player who has a separate wincon than everyone else.   Problem there then is said person is screwed come massclaim.

Hmm...maybe. What if they win on a tie situation that normally results in everyone losing? That makes them a minor target for everyone else most of the time and gives them a very interesting position to work for that's at odds with everyone else but still needs to use the same mechanics.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 22, 2013, 04:06:28 pm »

Yeah, a sixth player that has no special powers and only wins when there's a draw might be interesting. They're no one's ally or enemy...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 23, 2013, 09:31:23 am »

Right, but how does that sixth player's presence make it possible to hunt your targets?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:26 am »

Hmm... it strikes me that the game dynamics don't really have to be like mafia with a focus on hunting targets- more it's a game of alliance and betrayal.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:38 am »

Mafia is, at its core, an uninformed majority versus an informed minority.  Without some semblance of that, it's not really Mafia.  Something like Prince's Guard is the outer edge of the gametype.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:01 am »

Heh. I've been playing (IRL) a lot of non-standard mafia recently (where the GM also plays, and there is only one vanilla townie...) for as little as 4 players, which has two variants. If anyone's interested I can give more details.
I'm not sure I can classify the second variant of it as "mafia" though, since there are "team" cards which determine with who you win, even if the Mafia cards are on different teams (since people only know what team they are on).
What's that called/close to, then?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 108