Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Loved ADOM, now searching for something without Godlike mules  (Read 2578 times)

Angellus

Loved ADOM, now searching for something without Godlike mules
« on: November 01, 2009, 07:09:47 am »

Hi, I always loved ADOM as a child and would like to try another rouguelike again, the thing is, ADOM is great in possibilities (starving in the wilderness was a thing I really loved, along with the digging possibilities and needing climbing gear to get up mountains), but it has the darned beasties get stronger with each one you kill, causing me to die while leveling in the gremling cave each time :(

What I am looking for is a roguelike which has very wide possiblities, but no leveling along enemies factor.
I find it really hard to find a good one..

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Loved ADOM, now searching for something without Godlike mules
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:53:30 am »

Unreal World comes to mind, but you'd need to pay minimum $3 for it.
Gearhead 1&2 maybe.

I don't know if there ARE any roguelikes like that though, the general RNG theme means you can get raped anywhere, anytime, at any situation.

Could you explain it a bit more? Do you mean that increasing monster levels with increasing dungeon level is okay?

I've never really heard of monster level being based on your own levels in ADOM, except maybe in the small cave.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:02:51 am by Blaze »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:45:28 pm »

Elona comes to mind.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:56:58 pm »

Elona has encounters that increase along with your level AND fame though :/

Then again, as long as you keep to areas specific to your target challenge rating you should be find; though the difficulty descriptions are still pretty vague.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:54 pm »

Elona comes to mind.
Pardon my language, but Elona levels its enemys like a motherfucker.

Also gearhead increases with fame.

Also I dont remember ADOM leveling its enemys... Oh well...

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »

Hi, thanks for your reactions.

What I meant with the overpowered mules, once you kill one of a critter, the next one of that species will be more powerfull, sarcastically said this means that if you splat 250 grasshoppers, the 251th will somehow bite your head off in a single hit. That's what I hated about ADOM, the only thing I disliked though.

The rest was great, but I always walked into a weak (now megabeast) creature that kills me.

I dont mind strong creatures, nor creatures that get stronger, but creatures that level as you kill their comrades, even when they're on the other side of the world seems a bit... weird to me. I once won the arena in the game, only to get my ass kicked by a mule (which you encounter nearly immediately after start).

But I like as much as possible possibilities. I love complex games for some reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 01:43:26 pm »

You sure you don't mean that the game powers up all the enemies as you gain in strength so even a Donkey who would normally be a pushover suddenly can out wrestle the hulk later?

A lot of Roguelikes don't do that. They just keep upping the difficulty

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:59:08 pm »

ADoM, if I recall correctly, doesn't do that.

On the other hand, enemies DO spawn stronger as you level up.
Eh?
Eh!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

I've never heard of that mechanic before... The only monster that I know does that is the Cat Lord...

Maybe you're playing in the Small Cave? Monsters generated there have 5x your current experience.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:01:08 pm »

No, just generated as if you were twice your level.

Go read the guidebook, it explains all! (In spoilery depth, so maybe you don't want to?)
Eh?
Eh!

Angellus

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:16:11 pm »

^^ ok, in that case, a game where a rat stays a rat ;) not an uber-rat due to me killing some of his friends, if I encounter some hellish demon that's ok, but a rat that bites my head of in one hit is rather overpowerd XD

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »

You don't want unreal world then. Carniverous squirrels that'll knock you unconscious with a bite to the kneecaps and then kill you while you're down.

Actually, that's mostly been fixed in recent versions, but it was a real danger earlier.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 02:29:07 pm »

There is one specific cave in ADOM which is intended as a challenge level where every monster you slay is reborn as a more powerful monster. This is a challenge area, and that is NOT the normal spawn mechanic. If you are grinding there to level, you WILL fail and die.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 02:30:14 pm »

A rat spawned while you are level one is much weaker than one spawned when you are level 20. Plus a significant ammount of randomness either way, I think.
Eh?
Eh!

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »

Yes, ADOM does do that. The more citters of one type you kill the stronger they get. doesn't matter where. Get's "interesting" only with very common beasties where you get kill lists into the 100s, like jackals.
The idea behind the mechanic is to discourage the player from grinding levels, after he found a neat trick to dispose of critter X. But it indeed is a little off, and would require tweaking... (There is a "hacked" version of ADOM out there on the interwebs somewhere where this cirtter leveling thing has been turned off)
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/
Pages: [1] 2