Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paranormal Activity  (Read 1244 times)

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
Paranormal Activity
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:13:42 am »

Has anyone else seen it yet? I saw it tonight with a couple friends and I'm almost wishing I hadn't. Not because it was terrible but it deeply, deeply bothered me. The basic premise is about a boyfriend and girlfriend who live in a nice house together and the boyfriend sets up a camera to help find out what's causing these emanations of fear in his girlfriend. The movie starts out normal enough and things don't happen as quickly as they do in "normal" horror movies. The escalation of the unsettlingness was really well done I think *shudder*.

But, characters weren't even that well made and at some points act unbelievably. And yet the movie has had a profound impact on me. I found that after the movie, creepy or disturbing stuff I've witnessed or watched or read has had it's creep factor multiplied by a power of ten.

It might've been because I was pretty tired when I saw it which caused this, but now I don't want to sleep. It probably wouldn't be too disturbing to someone who regularly watches decent horror films, but I am not one of those people.

Your thoughts/reactions to it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:18:32 am by Lear »
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Activity
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:49 pm »

It's called paranoia. :)

Enjoy moderately, overuse can damage sanity.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:41:24 pm »

Most of the people in the History in Film class I take thought it was horrible.  Past experience has shown their ratings to be pretty accurate, though I have not seen this particular movie myself.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

Most of the people in the History in Film class I take thought it was horrible.  Past experience has shown their ratings to be pretty accurate, though I have not seen this particular movie myself.

I don't think it was horrible, it certainly wasn't a great movie, the characters act pretty stupid towards the end of the movie and there are a few useless story elements. I do think it was at least a decent movie, especially considering it was made on a $15k budget. Sure produced something better than a lot of multi-million dollar productions and something far scarier than your average gory "horror" film.

Downfalls aside, this movie freaked me out as the "spooky stuff" happens mostly when the characters are asleep which adds a nice "While you're sleeping, if something bad happens you will be unable to do anything about it" kinda feeling as well as the whole feeling of not being able to directly see whatever it is that wants your soul.

It's called paranoia. :)

Enjoy moderately, overuse can damage sanity.
Lack of sleep greatly increases it's effect that's for sure. <_<
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:46:53 pm by Lear »
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!