Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73661 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #720 on: August 26, 2014, 12:39:08 am »

Hey, thanks for informing about EB2. Can't wait to get home to test it.

Talking about mods, I can recommend Stainless Steel. Really, the one thing that annoys me about M:TW2 in general is the reinforcement system. Taking all your guys home and retraining them one by one is tedious. The trickling reinforcements system of Empire/Napoleon/Shogun2/Rome2 is so much better.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:22 am »

Really, the one thing that annoys me about M:TW2 in general is the reinforcement system. Taking all your guys home and retraining them one by one is tedious. The trickling reinforcements system of Empire/Napoleon/Shogun2/Rome2 is so much better.

What I like to do is make up 50% or more of my armies of some basic spear dudes (realism/house rule/challenge mode, make your pick) and keep a second, smaller stack made up entirely of those cheap spear dudes trailing my main army. After all battles I just merge units back to full strength. It has a bit more up front cost and upkeep, but saves on the hassle I find. It also makes me think more protectively of my few, valued elites.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:57 am »

Merging units is either dragging and dropping identical units cards on top of each other or using the key shortcut which is SHIFT + M or CTRL + M. Quite useful for long engagements, though it does lower the experience of the units (averages them out I believe between the experienced and new guys).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:13 am »

Looking at EB II, looks amazing, just have to wait for Medieval II to install now
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:01 am »

Quite useful for long engagements, though it does lower the experience of the units (averages them out I believe between the experienced and new guys).

Reinforcing a more experienced unit with a less experienced one can lose you chevrons, but I've often found that merging a more veteran unit onto a lesser one will often result in the (now nearly depleted) veteran unit gaining more experience.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:48 am »

Yes I always merge vets where I can because reinforcements and merging low XP troops lowers XP across the board

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:58 pm »

Well, I bought R2TW recently and got gifted all the DLC. Still 60 dollars right there without the DLC.

Played EB2...and there is so much history inside the mod. So much content and everything. I haven't even touched R2TW since EB2 came out yesterday. Though a lot of the time in  EB2 I spend reading history :P Which I love :D

Well...there goes 60 dollars down the drain.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

After a long Seleucid campaign with new AI patch for EB2 I ended up back in R2TW

It has same problem I had in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 even modded.

My 70 unit general can literally route an army of over 1000.

In Rome 1, my city got attacked. My 78 unit general routed over 3000 units. Which had spearmen and a bunch of other troops.

M2 had same problem.

Both medium battle/very hard campaign. Happened with mods too, like eb1 and stainless steel.

Granted, I can avoid doing that. But kinda broken.

With that said. Very good mod. But I ended up liking r2tw with dei+submods.

And maybe I'm just really good at using heavy cavalry generals...I tend to do really great with them. Probably only unit I'm good with. So could be that. But haven't had that happen in r2tw with the mods.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:31:31 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 29, 2014, 03:11:40 pm »

Heavy cavalry (and generals are really, really good heavy cavalry) are fairly OP in total war games made before Empire, I'd say. I'd say they at least tried to nerf them from that game onwards. None of the mods I've tried really fixed it. To be fair I only tried some of the big mods.

I always limit my use of cavalry quite a bit when playing the older TW's. Much more fun that way I think.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 31, 2014, 10:12:58 pm »

Heavy cavalry (and generals are really, really good heavy cavalry) are fairly OP in total war games made before Empire, I'd say. I'd say they at least tried to nerf them from that game onwards. None of the mods I've tried really fixed it. To be fair I only tried some of the big mods.

I always limit my use of cavalry quite a bit when playing the older TW's. Much more fun that way I think.

The orginal EB definitely fixed it. Cavalry worked the way it should; it could easily rout already heavily engaged troops, but couldn't stand up to a melee by itself.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 31, 2014, 10:27:04 pm »

The orginal EB definitely fixed it. Cavalry worked the way it should; it could easily rout already heavily engaged troops, but couldn't stand up to a melee by itself.

Early on, it didn't...I know I tried it a few times over a period of a year or two and it was actually getting better. But, by then I had grown kind of tired of R1TW due to so much playing and focusing on M2TW. But great they fixed that. If they did whatever they did in R1TW that would be great. Because heavy cavalry (at least the generals) are WAY too OP.

But...EB2 is an open beta mod...so...still lots of time for balance.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:30 am »

Eh, for R1TW what made cavalry OP for the player was the fact they turned on a dime, and basically instantly. A bit of micromanagement with them could let them decimate basically everything.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:04 am »

Eh, for R1TW what made cavalry OP for the player was the fact they turned on a dime, and basically instantly. A bit of micromanagement with them could let them decimate basically everything.
Also the fact that the initial charged cavalry strike was very powerful, and you could instantly disengage them from battle to charge in again.

In Praetorians, where your units cannot retreat from battle, cavalry is much weaker, though still a formidable force.
._.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:54 pm »

I believe BI had the most OP cavalry. Facing the armies of Sassanid Clibanarii was a veritable nightmare.

Open alpha of Dominion of the Sword is out. It's pre-alpha, and very much unfinished, but what's already implemented is quite impressive, especially the map.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 23, 2014, 12:10:13 am »

So after some updates, eb2 is way better. Campaign and battle AI are pretty much fixed (still being worked on) and my cavalry isn't one hit KO now. Even as Seleucids. Ai and op cavalry were huge problems that now aren't.

Playing as Armenia, and its a lot of fun. Way more fun for me than Rome 2 now...feels a bit civ 5 like anyway. Eb2 feels more epic. The map has far more detail for one.

I allied with Seleucids (I do that with any faction
 Seleucids are my favorite) and sent a family member on a long journey to take an Egyptian city. Was an epic battle, almost lost, but got his general (heir) and they routed after that. It helped spy had gates open.

Now it is a bloody war against Egypt...but Armenians breed like rabbits lol
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50