Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73820 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2010, 06:07:22 pm »

It's all that Irish gold.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2010, 06:18:55 pm »

No, it's the claymores.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

No, it's the claymores.

*click* OH SHI- *boom*

amidoinitright?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:14 pm »

Dude, I did it for a quest, because the reward was 8 stacks of the best unit I could make. I figure, hey, Lose 5 stacks of mailed knights, gain 8. Nope. They give me cogs. Cogs. Cogs. Cogs. Son of a -RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
I  find it amusing when playing as Milan and your government keeps having standards made for you.

Also played Napoleon more and decided to finally experiment with squares to see how reducing the number of men actually facing the enemy would magically increase effectiveness against cavalry. Turns out it does just that, horses are apparently afraid of squares and hesitate before charging into them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 14, 2010, 08:04:43 pm »

Dude, I did it for a quest, because the reward was 8 stacks of the best unit I could make. I figure, hey, Lose 5 stacks of mailed knights, gain 8. Nope. They give me cogs. Cogs. Cogs. Cogs. Son of a -RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
I  find it amusing when playing as Milan and your government keeps having standards made for you.

Also played Napoleon more and decided to finally experiment with squares to see how reducing the number of men actually facing the enemy would magically increase effectiveness against cavalry. Turns out it does just that, horses are apparently afraid of squares and hesitate before charging into them.

Pretty much. Horses won't charge into what they percieve to be a solid wall.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »

They should train them to be like race horses and get them to try and jump over them.

I wish they put that into the game now, that would be a hilarious tactic.

Edit: my way of thinking may not have been clear, but there is no way a horse could jump over them, so the horse would just jump into the middle, knocking over troops with the rider slashing away at them.

Overpowered? Likely. Hilarious? YES
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:14:03 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2010, 08:34:00 pm »

And horses perceive squares to be a solid wall and not lines not to be because?

I'm sure historically there were real reasons the square was a valid anti horse tactic but it seems like they just cheated and programmed it to stop horses from charging into it.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 14, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »

And horses perceive squares to be a solid wall and not lines not to be because?

I'm sure historically there were real reasons the square was a valid anti horse tactic but it seems like they just cheated and programmed it to stop horses from charging into it.

Because of the shields.

It takes intensive training to make a warhorse keep it's cool in the middle of a battle (and it doesn't always work), it's nigh-impossible to get them to charge into a pointy wall of people.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 14, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »

That's why the Scottish invented the Schiltrom. there was NO angle you could use that would give you a lower chance of impalement.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2010, 08:51:16 pm »

That's why the Scottish invented the Schiltrom. there was NO angle you could use that would give you a lower chance of impalement.

Downside being that you can't move as fast while still keeping in an effective schiltrom and you're an easy target for archers.

In game the only time I used the schiltrom was when I was attacked by massed armys of mailed knights. A line of schiltrom spearmen would cut down horses much more effectively than a normal line for some reason, I think its something to do with how close units stand to one another.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 14, 2010, 08:56:06 pm »

I think you're confused between a Phalanx and a Schiltrom.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »

Aye. A spearwall differs from a Schiltromm in that the Schiltromm cannot move without becoming unformed, as it is circular.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:25 am »

You guys are also forgetting he's talking about Napolean and Empire total war's broken mechanics and not Medieval's melee battles.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2010, 01:47:14 am »

Does Napoleon force steam upon you like Empire did or what? That's really going to be the selling point for me right now.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:41 am »

I'm not confused actually. Think 4 spearmen units, in a line, with me then ordering them into 4 small circles.

A schiltrom line, as it were.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50