Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73812 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2010, 10:40:53 am »

No IIRC, their is another unit that uses Greek Fire. But yes, putting even a single one in front of a gate is overkill, as they just melt everything that tries to get through, and due to the AI, that's usually everything at once.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:33 am »

You guys are talking about Medieval II right?  I really hope you are, because I don't think I've seen such a unit yet.

I'd like to mention that ballistae are fucking useless with or without flaming projectiles.  When I conquered Edinburgh (as the English), I only did it because the Scottish princes and most of their army was out in the countryside too far to reinforce.  So I had this giant Rebel army left over, and finally marshaled the forces to hit it from both sides.

Now, the terrain was kind of against me, and it was raining, but I swear to God, those ballista bolts killed like ten guys a piece with each shot, and the Scottish didn't even notice.  I still won, but only after it turned into a three-ring bloodbath of equally mauled units chasing each other to every corner of the map.

Anyway.  I'm considering getting Total War Empire.  1600-1700 may be my favorite period in history, and features and changes certainly look cool, but I haven't heard a whole lot of praise for the game.  Does anyone here have it, and would you recommend it to someone who enjoys Medieval II?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:45 am »

Anyway.  I'm considering getting Total War Empire.  1600-1700 may be my favorite period in history, and features and changes certainly look cool, but I haven't heard a whole lot of praise for the game.  Does anyone here have it, and would you recommend it to someone who enjoys Medieval II?

You should of got it around valentines day, was going for 10 bucks on steam.

Also, I'll tell you how good it is in 2.7 gig's... (2 daysish)

I'm honestly very tempted to start a AAR/letsplay once I get it downloaded.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2010, 11:59:50 am »

That's why I don't do steam.  I finally gave up on pirating games when the content sizes got so damn huge I decided it'd be more worthwhile to just buy a hardcopy, than wait around a week to finally get all those last files from lazy seeders, then burn a hardcopy myself.  I don't have the time or patience to download the probably 15gigs from Steam and get by DVD burner working.  Out figure out whatever rigmarole is involved in getting on Steam in the first place.

Yes, I know it's "the shit" and "the dog's bollocks" and "the bee's knees" and so forth.  But I'm lazy and I fear change, even if Steam is what all the cool people here do.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:12 pm »

Yeah I dislike steam too, it "convenient" but a major pain in the ass.

1: While its downloading it doesn't like to start up other games and will freeze 70% of the time.
2: Sometimes launching the game won't actually launch the game, and can just sit there showing "Launching so-and-so-game" And force a restart, sometimes it will freeze when trying to launch a game too.
3: If your downloading a game and manage to get a game started the download will pause for a second and get stuck on "download starting" It does this if you pause the download and try and start it again too.
4: Sometimes the download throttler likes to fuck up I think.
Edit: 5: Steam doesn't like to fully shut down when you exit it, 90% of the time i have to go into the task manager and force it down.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:57:42 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »

I have the connection for steam, It really is a connection thing because games keep getting bigger and bigger.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »

The fire pot throwers are most likely the turkish naffatun.

They are indeed a good thing to have in urban warfare.

The byzantine flamethrowers from kindoms however are almost as overpowered as zerglings genoese crossbowmen. Their jets of flame pass through multiple soldirs, an individual can fry about a dozen provided he fires into the side of a formation. As frontline unit, they instantly toast entire infantry charges. On walls, they rout entire armies or destroy siege towers. Firing into a gate breaching crowd from the side tends to give them a level of veterancy per volley. The only way to beat them is a direct light cavalry charge to "beat them to the draw" so to say.

Fire arrows do more damage but lack penetration, making them less deadly againt everything not a peasant. They sacrifice accuracy for morale damage. Use it at close range only where the lack of accuracy matters less and the morale penalties are more severe.

Fire catapults however, fire high explosives. Downsides are their lack of accuracy and the fact that you can't bounce them through a gatehouse like regular ones.

Balistae work best when their bolts can follow the terrain(uphill at close range, downhill a long range) and to break open gates with their low trajectory and high accuracy. Don't use fire, they kill less with their reduced accuracy so the morale damage stays roughly equal.

Empire is a disappointment gameplay wise and a technical disaster.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »

Empire is a disappointment gameplay wise and a technical disaster.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:38:00 pm by Huesoo »
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:03 pm »

I've always found that fire arrows only work on unarmoured targets too. English longbowmen vs knights is win.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »

Lies. English Yeomen vs anything is win. I made an army out of them once. The enemy fought their battle in the shade.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »

I believe I ignored Steam until I got Dawn of War II.  I had a hard copy, but it told me YOU NEED STEAM and forced me to download it in order for it to continue installing itself.

That was kind of annoying.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2010, 02:12:38 pm »

I  played Medieval II: Kingdoms one day. I chose the Teutonic Campaign. In a custom battle I chose 4 to 6 ritterbrüder 1 peasant group and a regiment of spearmen, and a cannon. I had 6000 florins and the enemy had 8000 florins I positioned the cannon atop a hill, which was maybe stupid, but this way I could shoot over my small infantry who held against cavalry charges. The enemy had 4 times the men I had. they had a 1/3 more gold on the field, and the battle difficulty slider was 1:9 against me. The enemy had no peasants.

They moved towards my cannon. My cavalry could flank some units of theirs and retreat getting minimal casualties, pulling their cavalry and kicking its ass. And then charging against the remaining infantry now frightened by the cannon fire. The ritterbrüder rocked.

I won the battle.

It was incredible!
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »

No large obnoxious pictures please Heuso unless they are in a spoiler.

As for balance... Yeah a lot of the game is simply unbalanced. Once you understand that though the game is about dealing with it. (Spain's special unit for example is useful for the entire game)

Though yeah... those flamethrowers seem almost entirely unbalanced.

Certain siege weapons have such specific uses as to become useless...

As a tip: The Trebuchet NEVER becomes outdated, its ability to attack over walls (especially your own) is even supperior to even the cannons made for it (plus it has corpse flinging)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:53 pm »

Yeah I dislike steam too, it "convenient" but a major pain in the ass.

1: While its downloading it doesn't like to start up other games and will freeze 70% of the time.
2: Sometimes launching the game won't actually launch the game, and can just sit there showing "Launching so-and-so-game" And force a restart, sometimes it will freeze when trying to launch a game too.
3: If your downloading a game and manage to get a game started the download will pause for a second and get stuck on "download starting" It does this if you pause the download and try and start it again too.
4: Sometimes the download throttler likes to fuck up I think.
Never had any of those problems, though I've seen similar but temporary things (hangs for a few seconds before launching a game; having to pause and start updating/downloading after launching a game to get it to keep going). Of course, I can't log on with my home internet connection, it takes ten minutes to log in and then promptly crashes. D:

Fortunately, it doesn't mind being left in offline mode. It's been running in that for more than two months now.

This is all making me want to install Medieval II again, but I don't have the space and I'm sure I'd end up burnt out on it after a few turns... :|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2010, 04:03:44 pm »

I like the cannons for the ability to watch my own cannon loaders not get out of the way in time :D
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50