Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73806 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2010, 08:49:35 pm »

That depends on how usefull the bugger was. Also, charging spearmen from the front? Madness. Even if they can take out that unit, they'll be understrength and useless for the rest of the fight.

He was a crazy gay dude who had done nothing his entire life. He was also in my heartland so I thought one squad of 250 spearmen would give him some experience, he could rest up after... That was a misjudgement.

Aqizzar, dude, that is exactly how my guys thought that entire game. Any time a noble died a man of the hour emerged.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »

During the Medieval period, it was standard practice to award gay royalty roles in which death by spearman was a high risk.

I'm learnding!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

If they knew the royalty was gay, It wouldn't surprise me if they did assign them to high risk stuff.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »

I use Sicily as a personal training ground for Men of the Hour. The beaches are nearly perfectly flat, and I wait for Sicily to send out 20 units. I then send in an army with 15 units, and try to win with as few casualties as possible. Instant MOTH factory. Also, it's easy to block Sicily off from the rest of the world by blocking Palermo's port with one fleet while blocking off the ford with another.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2010, 12:35:35 am »

That depends on how usefull the bugger was. Also, charging spearmen from the front? Madness. Even if they can take out that unit, they'll be understrength and useless for the rest of the fight.

He was a crazy gay dude who had done nothing his entire life. He was also in my heartland so I thought one squad of 250 spearmen would give him some experience, he could rest up after... That was a misjudgement.

Aqizzar, dude, that is exactly how my guys thought that entire game. Any time a noble died a man of the hour emerged.
With spearmen, you best bet is to engage them from the front, while you go in from behind.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:39 am »

*reinstalls*

Also, does anyone know what lighting ammo on fire does? Does it hit stronger, or just look all fancy?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31:36 am »

In fact, I think it hits weaker. Also it makes it inaccurate. It does provide a nice moral deduction to the opposing unit, however, and is good for lighting rams and the like on fire.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2010, 03:37:08 am »

In fact, I think it hits weaker. Also it makes it inaccurate. It does provide a nice moral deduction to the opposing unit, however, and is good for lighting rams and the like on fire.

Its good for scaring peasants and the like. Once a unit is in combat and beginning to waver a wave of fire arrows will send the running

With spearmen, you best bet is to engage them from the front, while you go in from behind.

And yes people, I realise I should have send that guy behind the spearmen first, but again, i didn't think i would have to for one squad :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2010, 03:40:07 am »

Given the subject matter, I have a hard time believing he's not making a gay joke.

I mean, come on, it's worded perfectly. But then again, I just can't see him doing that.

Maybe I should just move on from this subject. Maybe.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2010, 03:42:39 am »

Probably, i've been awake for a grand total of 11 minutes so i might not be seeing the humour so well.

Anyway, last night I turned on the game again and played as scotland. I forgot that border horse's died so easily...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2010, 03:48:18 am »

Dude, you're Scotland. Until you get Armored Knights, you never use cavalry. Just think of your Highlanders as rather slow horses with axes attacked to their hoofs.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2010, 03:49:53 am »

Heh, I didn't mind losing them. I turned the game off after. My long campaign days are for mount and blade now. Medieval to me is like an awesome skirmish game at the moment.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2010, 04:15:39 am »

Also, does anyone know what lighting ammo on fire does? Does it hit stronger, or just look all fancy?

I'd have to see some documentation.  I could believe the loss of accuracy thing, and the effectiveness against siege weapons is obvious.  But I swear they're deadlier with flaming arrows.  I know Balkan Archers (or whatever those ridiculously cheap mercenaries are) kill like twice as many guys when I use flaming arrows instead of otherwise.  Not to mention the morale effect and that it looks cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:55 am »

Perhaps I'm confusing weaker with 'kills less guys'.

Either way, they are all outclassed by that unit that throws firepots. Enough of those can rout an army ten times their size, despite theirs short range. Seriously, two units of archers, one unit of firepotians on a wall. It's yours for good should they try and take it with men. Hell, even street fighting. You will never lose.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

The Byzantine ones, right? Those are my favorite.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50