Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding throwing knives  (Read 1419 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding throwing knives
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:11 am »

Angry dwarves will throw things in fort mode.  It's hilarious when you have a bunch of dabbling throwers.

If you are going for fort mode usability, you'd need some sort of convoluted workaround.  If you are going for adventure mode usability, just make a bunch of knives.  You wouldn't even need to give it the throwing skill - in fact, if you did, stabbing with the knives would probably increase throwing skill.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:22 pm »

GRAH.
I'm done then, I'll just stop now.
However, why aren't daggers already used by dwarves in fortress mode? What in the raws, I mean, dictates that?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:52:48 pm »

There is no military profession for fort mode that uses daggers, and because you can't mod that in, no dice.  Next version should change that, although you'd still have to find some way to get daggers.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 04:44:25 pm »

There is no military profession for fort mode that uses daggers, and because you can't mod that in, no dice.  Next version should change that, although you'd still have to find some way to get daggers.
The entity file can be modded to allow other weapons to be used.

And you can still make the throwing knives for adventure mode, which is still something.  The knife-launcher I described earlier should work fine for that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

The entity file can be modded to allow other weapons to be used.

However, it still won't show up in the military equipment menu, unless you mod daggers to use the sword skill.  Bricks is also correct that daggers, unlike other weapons, lack a standard military profession -- they're only used by the THIEF profession.  I'm unsure whether the next version will open this for modding -- thieves aren't mentioned in the List of entity positions that are getting moved to the raws, and there's some weirdness with professions vs. entity positions that could conceivably prevent it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:32:15 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 [2]