Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to multitask DF with real time programs like media players in windows  (Read 790 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile

I like to watch movies or other media while playing Dwarf Fortress on the same computer. This creates a problem since DF is so processor intensive and causes the video to skip. I have figured out how to fix this.

Open the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc). Go to the processes tab and locate dwarfort.exe. Right click it and select Set Priority > BelowNormal.

This should prevent DF from hogging processor cycles and let the video play smoothly at the cost of a few fps. Enjoy :D

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or you can just get with the program and get a multi-core processor. Meant in the last snarky and offensive way possible.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This will also make DF run slooooowly. I'd rather have skippy movie than low FPS on DF.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is why I love having a dual-core processor. DF sits there taking up one entire core, everything else runs on the other.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile

This is why I love having a dual-core processor. DF sits there taking up one entire core, everything else runs on the other.

By default?

Or you can just get with the program and get a multi-core processor. Meant in the last snarky and offensive way possible.

Oh you kids and your money. Sorry, guess I spent all mine on bullets, lol.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your operating system should automatically notice that DF wants lots of resources, and determine that the best way to achieve this is to put it on its own core. You can manually set the core affinity, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF doesn't get any benefit from being on a multi-core system. By itself, at least. As I understand it, to take advantage of both cores, the program has to be designed to do so...

The benefit is to you, the player, because as has been pointed out you can set DF to a single core, then jack up its priority as high as you like. You can free up some extra juice for DF by going through your list of processes, picking out the big ones (like a media player, web browser, whatever) and setting them to only use the unused core. Rock and roll.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm optimized, just not recent lol. I'll be sure to set it to monopolize one core when I upgrade though, thanks.