Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiny improvement to the finder  (Read 1094 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tiny improvement to the finder
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:23:14 am »

Make the in-game site finder stop when it has found a perfect match; right now it
continues to search the whole map after it's found one, which can take a long time.

Should be relatively easy to implement, i think.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny improvement to the finder
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:31:08 am »

seconded

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:14 am »

Either that or if it's going to search the whole map you should be able to view some of the other matching sites.
Akur Akir Akam!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:47:28 am »

I support. manausers and kadaths suggestions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:49:28 am »

Well then the solution is simple

Have a "Press Spacebar to stop" for the Finder!

That way if you don't care about having a selection then you just pick the first perfect site it finds.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:56 am »

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the changes are going to be with the finder for the next release?  Apparently pretty much every map is going to have underground water and magma.  Is there still going to be a finder?  I guess you'd still need one to find sand and flux. . .

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »

This has been suggesting dozens of times before.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »

Also allow a key press to continue to search after the first match, in case the firs match is less than ideal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

This has been suggesting dozens of times before.

Which begs the question why hasn't Toady even commented on it? It's a major frustration, especially if you use large worlds. Why does it need to search all 50,000,000 possible places if it finds one in the very first square? Either return a list of possible sites or return as soon as you find a single site.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:03:17 am »

If I recall correctly, he did acknowledge the shortcomings in the site finder, in the first suggestion thread for it which came out approximately fifteen seconds after the first version with the site finder was released. However, it still does its job (and you better believe it's a hell of a lot better than life without the site finder was), so it's not a priority for him.

He's not going to take the time to comment in the umpteen million redundant "the site finder should be improved" threads that have spawned since then.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:06 am »

It's better than without, true, but it should be an easy enough fix that would greatly improve gameplay. It doesn't need to be a HUGE overhaul like letting players search for every possible property, all it really needs is either a test to break out of the search loop when it finds an acceptable site or it needs functionality to show all the acceptable sites at the end.

I understand it's more difficult than it sounds, I'm a CS student, I know it can be difficult to break completely out of multiple nested loops if you didn't write them with breaking out in mind, but it does need to be done. A better finder would make both make testing and basic gameplay easier, and it needs to be done before v1.0 anyways.

As for the comment, you're right, I spoke out of turn, I don't know most of what Toady has talked about except in the DF talk and a few ones I've seen.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »

If I recall correctly, he did acknowledge the shortcomings in the site finder, in the first suggestion thread for it which came out approximately fifteen seconds after the first version with the site finder was released. However, it still does its job (and you better believe it's a hell of a lot better than life without the site finder was), so it's not a priority for him.

He's not going to take the time to comment in the umpteen million redundant "the site finder should be improved" threads that have spawned since then.
One thing that might help, though, is to vote it up in eternal suggestion voting, since it's the sort of thing that's unlikely to be added unless Toady sees a lot of demand for it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One