Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721218 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2190 on: December 28, 2009, 10:17:51 am »

*opens mouth, closes mouth,thinks on Legends mode and worst-cases*
an "artwork/engravings vector" somewhere, and act somewhat as though it were an object?
Let's see, an art has a subject which may be an image(double crescent), a (generic) creature/object(cheeses anyone?), a histfig+event, or a living dwarf+preference/aversion...

Not entirely sure where the hidden fun engravings fall, though it feels like the last two, with fake hist-events.
with another special case or two for the symbols of your civ,though those are the former two, and might just be a special case of choice/display rather than storage.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 28, 2009, 01:28:02 pm »

Wow, I...just wow.

I mean, I was following the development of Stonesense closely, but I underestimated how easy it is to setup and how satisfying it is to see my fort in this format.

Wow.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

kingpocky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 29, 2009, 02:24:25 am »

Excuse me if this is an ignorant question/suggestion-

Is there any way that some of the data could be found more easily if the goal was only to produce a snapshot instead of a constantly updating picture? I usually only use Stonesense for looking at finished products, so I'd be glad to sacrifice watching the movement of creatures for a tad bit more detail somewhere else.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:01 am »

Is there any way that some of the data could be found more easily if the goal was only to produce a snapshot instead of a constantly updating picture?

Yeah, theres a fair amount of detail sacrificed in the name of speed. In a static shot you could afford a lot more computation and just plain data. Simplest example- objects are 'too hard' because reading the data would lock up worse than when you look at stone in the stocks menu. (Compare 'reading one object type within the game' vs 'reading all of the objects through hacked memory access')

However, there is also a flip side to this- any detail would also need an equivalent amount of configuration. We are just now getting to the point where we have ramps that aren't plain grey blocks, so theres an awful lot still to be done on the capabilities we have.

Removing realtime in order to add new capabilities wouldn't necessarily cause content to be added any faster. And for many things, we may be able to get decent results with more research (objects again as an example: theres gotta be a better way to get at them, because DF surely doesn't dredge through the entire list for every frame update)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 29, 2009, 03:13:20 am »

Just asking, but could the sysyem used to create the depth fog also be used to tint rock types in their respective colours? I imagine that would require a second pass for the depth fog, but if this can be utilised on rock types not specifically designated within the tilesets, this could be an effective way to fill in the rock types without having to specify each individual tile for each individual rock type.
I have little to no programming experience so forgive me if I am mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:12:59 am by Dark_Tundra »

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: December 29, 2009, 04:42:35 am »

Personally I'd love Stonesense to remain realtime, I run it side by side with DF.  (Now I just need a third monitor to run Visual Fortress on!)

Would it be possible as a start for there to be an optional single default sprite for objects?  That way it only has to check if any object exists at all in that tile, then display the default sprite - something like a small crate or boulder.  Or is that just as hard?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2196 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:30 am »

Problem there is it would look ugly, as you'd have either crates or boulders EVERYWHERE and I don't think they can tell a hidden object from a non hidden object in DF. Would look very messy.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2197 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:03 am »

Just fort the record, that would be dead simple. Two lines of code. But like forsaken said, it wouldn't give you much...
I'm looking at objects right now. there is a pattern to the chaos, we just have to find it...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: December 29, 2009, 08:27:57 am »

If it'll help you think, you can paste memory dumps or whatever here. Our collective consciousness might provide an answer.
On a related note - I got utterly confused poking around the Cheat Engine without directions. Can't even get a lead on anything of interest.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:06 am »

Alternate well:

I dont know how to put it in though, I'm far too tired to be working out "if"s, "else"s, and "which part of the universe will collapse if I pull this lever?"s.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2200 on: December 29, 2009, 08:53:13 am »

Alternate well:

I dont know how to put it in though, I'm far too tired to be working out "if"s, "else"s, and "which part of the universe will collapse if I pull this lever?"s.

That looks awesome :) You should put it in the Content Repository, so other people can try it out easily.

Anyway, here's how you configure it:
<building name="Well" gameID="well" file="YOURFILENAME.png">
   <sprite index = POSSITIONINFILE />
</building>
just make an xml with that in it :)
I've been meaning to make a tutorial on how to make buildings...

@Sean Mirrsen: Yeah I'm not too stable with that memory peaking myself. I'm glad I just have to interface dfHack ;)

Edit: it might also help read this: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stonesense:Sprites
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:51:24 am by jonask84 »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 29, 2009, 09:55:52 am »

@Jonask84: Got it now, thanks.

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

Just fort the record, that would be dead simple. Two lines of code. But like forsaken said, it wouldn't give you much...
I'm looking at objects right now. there is a pattern to the chaos, we just have to find it...
If you could detect if there is an object and it is in a stockpile tile, then display a crate - I like displaying the stockpiles, so this would come in useful for showing how full a stockpile is.  As an option of course.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: December 29, 2009, 06:34:25 pm »

Would it be possible as a start for there to be an optional single default sprite for objects?
It's certainly doable- I had it working like that in one of the experimental branches, way back. Never made it to the release versions though, because it didnt seem to add much.

(There is a separate 'there is an object in this tile' flag that is easy to detect, as opposed to the actual object data itself, so its pretty simple. If we find some way to look up an object by location, rather than searching through the object vector, then most of the problems with objects would similarly vanish)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:37:20 pm by kaypy »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:01 pm »

If it's too slow for vis to hunt the objvector to display, I expect that it is also too slow for DF to...

I mean, DF has the two flags for creature occupancy- we don't display that by searching the creature vector, do we? (How's SS deal with multiple creatures in a tile anyway?)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 379