Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719833 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #675 on: November 10, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

(except for the dry non functional version)
When hooked up to another power source, dry water wheels will turn.

Not important now, but eventually that'd be a cool extra feature for stonesense if it's something dfhack can read.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #676 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:23 pm »

Hey guys, Im back and feeling much better :)
There's been a truck-load of posts since I fell ill last week, and I don't think I have time to answer them all in detail, but I'll do my best to cover most of it.

- We've found a few bugs in v3, some of them crash the game. We're sorry about that, and looking into it.

- To all of you who have posted artwork, thank you! I'm adding stuff to the trunk right now, it's looking great :) We are working on setting up a sprite list wiki ,where people can assign themselves to sprites so we dont get so much overlapping work.

@KaelGotDwarves: That video is awesome, thanks for making it. It's been getting us so much press hehe fun times... Im gonna post a link on page 1.

@tehmarken, those dwarfs look really cool :) Right now Solifuge has a bit of a stylistic lock-down on the dwarf design, so we're sure we make em all look the same. I'll show it to him and make sure he hurries up and releases some more, so we can make sure we all keep to the same style.

@7˘ Nickel: You know we love your work! keep it up :)

@AlienChickenPie: thanks for uploading a save! that really helps, i'll get into it as soon as im done with this massive reply.

@Jotaf: I agree it would be nice to add direct control of DF into Stonesense. It's something we're looking at, but it's a bit complicated atm.

@Impaler[WrG]: Of course, that sounds like a good idea to team up like that. Khazad was actually my inspiration when I sat down and started on what was to become Stonesense. I think the two visualizers fill very different roles though, and Im sure you'd agree. Stonesense could never show large areas or megaprojects as well as Khazad. Stonesense is more about that up and close detail. But, yeah, I dont see any problems with sharing resources. We just need to drum up a nice license on our end, so things are nice and legal :)

@PantheraDwarfus: cool wallpapers. Strike the earth!

@Tofu: Kult :)

@Mike: You know this since I told you on IRC today, but for everyone else too: We're making a cavalier build of Stonesense.

@winner: love the pumps, especially the hand crank. Hello dwarven arthritis :p

@Rooster: That grass looks nice, maybe it's time to redo it...

@Japa: Thanks for sorting out the Aero issue.

I think that's about it :) Things have been crazy busy the last week, so it's going to be nice to be able to sit down and just code for a bit. And to all of you, thanks for all the positive and constructive feedback!
This is truly an amazing community!

- Jonas

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 10, 2009, 07:06:04 pm »

Hey guys! Stonesense brought me out of a lull in playing DF and I made this fortress specifically to test out Stonesense. I did encounter a crash bug--if your fort contains any artificially-created sand tiles, Stonesense will crash they are loaded in its cube of awareness. If you aren't aware what I'm talking about, if you build a construction out of water stones (ice) in the proper location, upon removing it you will have a red sand floor. Useful for farming on maps where farming would otherwise be 100% impossible :) The bug is a problem though because this manner of tile is created naturally when digging a staircase into an ice-based "soil" layer.

Anyway here's the fort!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 10, 2009, 07:14:30 pm »

Damn it, it looks almost exactly like my fort that crashes!!!

Also... Damn. Me well froze and when ice melter there was that sand. That's why my fortress crashes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 10, 2009, 07:20:00 pm »

Any chance you could upload one of these crashing saves? I tried using AlienChickenPie's save, but I'm missing some creatures...

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

7˘ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49:40 pm »

Horrors! [REDACTED] in the [REDACTED] Part 2 : & Harder

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #682 on: November 10, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »

Very good frog demon in my opinion.

I'd like to see someone's take on the actual ending demon. possibly balrog influences?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 10, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »

Bah! Gentlemen: spoiler your spoilers! Im sorry, but some of us hasn't found the real Fun stuff yet ;)

Edit: Thank you :) Maybe I should put Stonesense down for a short while and get some fun on.

Also, Noble Digger, thanks for uploading. I found the bug, and I've fixed it. It will be in the trunk by tomorrow if you wanna try viewing your fort again. The fort looks bloody amazing btw! Love how you built it around the original wagon heh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:07:33 pm by jonask84 »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 10, 2009, 09:04:45 pm »

Horrors! [REDACTED] in the [REDACTED] Part 2 : & Harder

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 10, 2009, 09:20:13 pm »

Good to hear you're feeling better.

@Mike: You know this since I told you on IRC today, but for everyone else too: We're making a cavalier build of Stonesense.
Uh...seriously, you should be making things easily configurable rather than "GET OTHER EXECUTABLE/PACKAGE"...:-/ I had a list of suggestions above about that...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:22:03 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:30 pm »

I know Cobalt, but those values enter in so many places in the code. Making them configurable runtime rather than compile time will mean a serious performance hit, that's my main concern. I might have missed that list though? I've been skimming through the 100 or so replies that came in while I was in the hospital :p  I'll go over it a bit more carefully in the morning :)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 10, 2009, 09:51:04 pm »

Is that sand bug the same as the one where a constructed floor built on farmed obsidian within 5 tiles of the map edge (or the bottom z-level) turns into sand?

Also,

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 10, 2009, 09:52:58 pm »

That is very likely. I'm on it right now with peterix, It seems we've uncovered some new data we just dont know what it yet. It was mixed in with the real vein info, causing all kinds of bugs. And in rare cases crashes

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 10, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »

Glad to hear you're feeling better jonas.

I'm going to be working on hats, and I like the idea of something similar to what Ian @ threepanelsoul draws:

I think having the old ASCII character integrated into the sprites of each creature would be a cool art style, so I'll be playing around with that some.

And I had another thought; what about engravings? In the game, you can get pictures of the engravings on the wall of a single thing (a dwarf face, a coin, a tree, etc). I think it would be good to make those for isometric.

And my last thought; is setting a color/grayscale a planned feature? It seems to me it might not be necessary, as a unique artwork for each terrain/rock/dirt type wouldn't take up too much data. As for constructed objects, it would just be a set of several colours, so perhaps only increasing the amount of artwork 10 fold at most. Considers how small the artwork files are now,a 10 fold increase doesn't seem like a big deal.

At the very least, I think rock/terrain/dirt should have unique artwork for each type to allow for different colouring AND appearance. This would give a much more visible difference in rock types than just colour swapping, and give a more polished look to this mod. I'm not sure what kind of work this could entail on the programming side, but it's just a matter of manhours on the artwork side, which it seems we have ample supply of.

LASTLY (I mean it this time);
@rooster: I really loved that grass you did that ran out of the "tile". Really made it look much better and more like a real terrain than a flat painted checkerboard. Doing the same thing with water would look great I bet.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 379