Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721183 times)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2505 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:22 pm »

Would this be possible?

*              * *     DF     *
*   Stene   * *   comm   *
*   sense   * *    ands    *
*              * * Window   *

Stonesense would work as it is but have highlighted square to act as same as in DF main screen?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: February 15, 2010, 04:07:29 am »

Your describing whats called "Pull Strategy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-Pull_strategy

Their have already been some good threads on this concept

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46325.0

I particularly like this one because of its ease of use and ease of implementation. Stockpiles already have a partial 'pull' ability (only able to pull items that exist), if shops had designated source stockpiles and the stockpiles had source workshops from which they can initiate work orders we would essentially have what the Japanese call Kanban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban

This would indeed be 11 on the awesome scale as you can command the entire production chain with final product orders and it would all be done by simply establishing these 'pull from' connections which are already possible with stockpiles so very little needs to change conceptually.  Also it avoids the ambitiousness issue and decision tree explosions, the player designates ware to draw the resources and this could easily be a list that's cascaded down.  Lastly having an ore stockpile be able to pull from an actual ore vein is an excellent idea and an excellent way to bring that step into the system.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:20:30 am by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2507 on: February 15, 2010, 06:51:32 am »

Would this be possible?

*              * *     DF     *
*   Stene   * *   comm   *
*   sense   * *    ands    *
*              * * Window   *

Stonesense would work as it is but have highlighted square to act as same as in DF main screen?

Thats actually what I aim to investigate. The main concern is of course all the funny sort of corruptions that it could cause if more than one process attempts to read/write the same memory location at once. DFHack manages this to an extent by freezing the Dwarf Fortress process while the data is manipulated, this keeps the game itself out of the loop while we have our fun.

However, two 3rd party apps that simultaneously work with the memory could get quite unstable. The best way to handle this is probably to have all processes attach through the same DFHack DLL so that DFHack can queue all requests. Although, I dont think the current SHM bridge allow for more than one attached process.

But its a nice theory and, as I said, is one I plan to bash around a bit. 

smd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: February 15, 2010, 11:16:01 am »

I guess a simple gui wouldn't really need to write anything to DF allocated memory? I mean it would only need to translate a button click to a key combination and send it to DF. Virtual keyboard does the trick, so it is possible.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

The problem is, you can't "send something to DF", because you can't make it to read your actions. You have to work with memory as I understand.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: February 15, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

From what I know DF doesn't have any idea where you are in stonesence or any way to know unless it tracks from the moment stonesence opens.  And if it does that you can't have stonsense running in real time because in order for DF to have the cursor available(and thus able to keep up with where stonesense is putting it.) the game needs to be paused. 
Not to mention that it would remove stonesense mouse support because DF would not be able to sync to the location the cursor was moved to by the mouse because no keyboard input happened.

Besides, I thought Toady was generally against a third party GUI for DF at any rate. Visualisers are fine, GUIs might grow so large as to receive hate mail or folks refusing to play a new version unless he 'fixes' DF to work with the program after an update.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:11:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

The problem is, you can't "send something to DF", because you can't make it to read your actions. You have to work with memory as I understand.

Yes you can.  Lifevis pipes keyboard input to DF, as has been brought up many times in this thread.  I mean, it probably does achieve that by "working with memory," but I don't see how it's at all true that "you can't send something to DF."

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »

Yes you can.  Lifevis pipes keyboard input to DF, as has been brought up many times in this thread.  I mean, it probably does achieve that by "working with memory," but I don't see how it's at all true that "you can't send something to DF."

DF hack has had the ability to send keystrokes to the DF window since the start of december, that is how I was writing custom names and professions on linux in the DFHack port of Dwarf Therapist.  You could make a completely new interface right now using the same technique if you wanted to take the time to do so.  You could add the lifevis functionality of just mirroring the input to DF in stonesense with very little effort.

Greiger, you are incorrect with all of your statements, you can already have stonesense track the df window, and it is not difficult at all to do the reverse, moving the DF window (which does not have to have the cursor visible to move) when the stonesense window moves.  No keyboard input is necessary.

Again all of this functionality has been in DF-hack for quite a while now, someone just needs to use it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:40 pm »

Happy to be wrong then.  Carry on.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: February 15, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »

Hello, wonderful job, again.

I would like to ask if there is a way to rotate stonesense.

I have a 15 level drop that is nearly a straight cliff (sure it has some ramps but meh)

Only problem is that it is on the south of the screen and thus not at the optimum angle for stonesense viewing of the cliffface.

I would love terraced villas carved out of this area visible on stonesense as if it were a northcliff
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:52:16 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:41 pm »

Quote from: README.txt
Enter: Rotate view 90 degrees
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:54 pm »

awesome, thanks :D
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04:27 am »

I've noticed on my Toshiba laptop that the "enter for 90° rotation" doesn't work.  Would this be because I have a canadian keyboard instead of an american one?
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:46 am »

I made this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I saw Jadael's work - amazing stuff. My only beef is that the Olivine isn't dark enough for my taste. Also I tried installing it but it won't work for some reason - I added the .xml lines to the index file but still just shows the default textures.

I reinstalled and its working just fine now.

Also - I've recently developed a habit of constructing my forts out of Olivine which renders a nice dark green in VisualFortress and Khazad, any plans for more coloured walls in later versions of Stonesense?

We do support walls of any color or texture really, the only thing needed is that someone draws some Olivine walls :) After that it's just a matter of adding them to the config system.
What Visfort and khazad do is to take one default texture, then shade that to different colors. We have been playing with that for Stonesense too (Japa did some really promising work), and white it's a cheap solution it will never look as good as if we actually drew some Olivine walls.

@Kaelem Gaen: I talked with peterix the other day, and he said dfHack should be compatible with 40D17 now. But there might be some bugs. That's why I'm a little reluctant to release it until we know it works (at least close to) 100%.
But like you pointed out, it's in the SVN if anyone feels adventurous :)

How would I go about implementing my Olivine walls and floors into SS? Also I noticed that with a default install I get obsidian coloured walls but not floors, despite the fact that there is a sprite for floors - is this deliberate?

Also, cannot get Jadael's pack working at all, I did exactly as he described in this post:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/jadael_stones.zip

Put all my stones together into a mod. Unzip to /terrain/ and add JadaelWalls.xml and JadaelFloors.xml to the top of the terrain index file.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still have to do ramps! I'm working on it!

edit: Ok now for me the main problem is I can't get Jadael's pack working - I've edited the Olivine walls in his pack to be how I want them so if I can get it to work then problem is solved but it seems like I can't get any pack to work with SS - I change the entry in the index.txts but it doesn't do anything. :(

Anyone have any ideas? This: "Unzip to /terrain/ and add JadaelWalls.xml and JadaelFloors.xml to the top of the terrain index file."

Does not work.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:27:37 am by Spong »

EatMoreHippo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: February 17, 2010, 01:15:05 am »

Hey I'm getting an error message "Could not find df process" after pressing f9 at the start up screen. Is there a fix for this?
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 379