Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7481 7482 [7483] 7484 7485 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510517 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112230 on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:19 am »

You don't know that anxiety?  Of interacting with a business and doing nothing wrong?
The after-eating ritual is so awkward (not to mention expensive) that I've largely avoided it.  But when I do, if I'm alone, I carry the check to the counter.

The whole sing and dance is just awful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112231 on: January 11, 2018, 04:35:29 am »

You don't know that anxiety?  Of interacting with a business and doing nothing wrong?
No? That seems dumb.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112232 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:46 am »

No? That seems dumb.
It is dumb. Doesn’t make it any less of a problem. What exactly was the point of that?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112233 on: January 11, 2018, 07:59:29 am »

Yeah my social anxiety is dumb as all heck, it's not rationally based at all. Knowing that it's dumb doesn't make marching back into a shop I just left and interrupting a conversation to initiate important social interactions of my own any easier, though.

I managed to, though! Somehow. My anxiety seems like it improved a lot last year. ^-^
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112234 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »

The biggest thing I've learned in dealing with anxiety is that you don't have to overcome it completely. You just have to be able to overcome it for a second, and force yourself to act in that second.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112235 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:36 pm »

I was done angsting about my brother, but recently our mom tried to get me to hang out with him.
Which I kinda shot down... hard.

I apologized, and we've been chatting on the phone, but we haven't been walking since then.  Because I really don't feel like seeing her.  And I feel bad for feeling that way.

Got blackout drunk last night while coordinating chargen for my Amber campaign, got some chat logs to go through.  Dreamed I was in TES:Oblivion, explaining to the Countess of Bruma why my murder-hoboing was justified because this was all a game, and I'd gotten bored of playing hero.  Except these were life-like people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #112236 on: January 12, 2018, 11:40:28 am »

Military life. It hasn't been even a week yet and I'm close to my breaking point. I've cried myself to sleep more than once, my legs hurt from marching constantly, and I can't say I've had a "good" day yet. Right now is my first longer period of free time, yet it's not helping with my mood.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112237 on: January 12, 2018, 12:21:43 pm »

Fuck, my father in law has lung cancer.... we were suspecting in for a while now, but it's confirmed now. That surely sucks thoroughly. I just hope we can come up with the medicines needed and that it is starting like the medics says. He's also having a bacteria eating the lung, so maybe it's all a horrible confusion? Current plant is get rid of the bacteria then start fighting the cancer.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112238 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:41 pm »

Well, right then. I am short another relative. Rather estranged, I fear, but nonetheless. It seems terribly unfair, this particular case. An old man swept off his feet and into the ground just as new vistas opened before him. Lord, Thy will be done, but I cannot be made to like it. Not one little bit. It is comforting to know that he is now in the best care one could imagine, but nonetheless.

I have been to more funerals than I have dentist appointments these last years, and my word, I am rather attached to the few relatives that remain, and fearful that they too might be swept off their feet with no notice. There is nothing in particular, all together, to fear about death, but the simple, honest and natural pain of it is becoming tiresome, and, dare I say, much too ordinary. More people in my circles ought to marry. Perhaps I ought to marry. One never knows.

Military life. It hasn't been even a week yet and I'm close to my breaking point. I've cried myself to sleep more than once, my legs hurt from marching constantly, and I can't say I've had a "good" day yet. Right now is my first longer period of free time, yet it's not helping with my mood.

Fight through; breaking points are often further away than they seem, and I can assure you that all men are stronger and sturdier than they think they are. There is always more than one thought there would be. I am not sure if it helps, but you have my admiration for joining, and I wish you the best of luck.
Also along the line of not knowing if it helps but stating it nonetheless, be assured that an awful lot of people have felt that same feeling, and quietly cried themselves to sleep. It is a very sensible response to a very discomforting situation. One that you are taking on so that others will not have to. That is not what just about anyone would do.
I suppose that it is easy for me to say, since I never got the chance to wear the Crown's clothes, as it were, but that is why I want to make my admiration clear to everyone who goes through the embuggerance of soldiering for the benefit of those that will not or cannot.

I say, when the worst of it is over, when you have pulled through despite the hopeless feeling and the cold doubt, which I know that you can do and will do, I owe buy you a pint or twelve.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #112239 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:01 pm »

you have my admiration for joining
Finland has universal conscription for adult males  (optional for females). I didn't join out of bravery or patriotism or anything like that, but because I legally had to. It will be 6-12 months before I can become a reservist and return to civilian life.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #112240 on: January 12, 2018, 12:59:32 pm »

The rust borrowchecker is having a field day on my code.  :'(

error[E0277]: the trait bound `core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static: std::marker::Sync` is not satisfied
  --> src/main.rs:14:8
   |
14 |     world.add_resource(Vec::<std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut tile::GameMap>>>::new())
   |           ^^^^^^^^^^^^ `core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static` cannot be shared between threads safely
   |
   = help: the trait `std::marker::Sync` is not implemented for `core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `std::marker::Sync` for `std::ptr::Unique<core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `std::boxed::Box<core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static>`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `std::marker::Sync` for `std::ptr::Unique<std::boxed::Box<core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static>>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `alloc::raw_vec::RawVec<std::boxed::Box<core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static>>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `std::vec::Vec<std::boxed::Box<core::tile::MapLayer<'_> + 'static>>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `core::tile::GameMap<'_>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `std::marker::Sync` for `std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `std::marker::Send` for `std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>>`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `std::marker::Send` for `std::ptr::Unique<std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>>>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `alloc::raw_vec::RawVec<std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>>>`
   = note: required because it appears within the type `std::vec::Vec<std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>>>`
   = note: required because of the requirements on the impl of `shred::res::Resource` for `std::vec::Vec<std::sync::Arc<std::sync::RwLock<&mut core::tile::GameMap<'_>>>>`   

(I already figured out a fix, so no help needed)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112241 on: January 12, 2018, 01:13:26 pm »

you have my admiration for joining
Finland has universal conscription for adult males  (optional for females). I didn't join out of bravery or patriotism or anything like that, but because I legally had to. It will be 6-12 months before I can become a reservist and return to civilian life.

Ah, I see. But; as hollow as it might ring at the moment, as empty as it might seem, you are doing your duty. It is legally required, because of the simple reason that peaceful and pleasant life is dependent on it. It is brave, in the sense that it is discomfort for the sake of a greater good. Even if it might feel like a mere legal requirement, it is still something to be quite proud of. I wish you all the best, I truly do. Six to twelve months pass with a frightening pace, although it seems not so when seen from the very beginning of it.

Sweden had practically the same conscription laws. Well, does so again, apparently. The world did not quite turn as lovely and peaceful that people hoped. I think I might simply be unable to cope with the strange sense of shame of being rejected for service, and thus liable to heap my admiration those who do carry arms and go through the bloody embuggerment that is soldiering for the protection of everyone. But that is an aside. I am sure you will make it, despite the pain. It always feels worst at the start of it.

The offer of lagers stand, by the by. Or salmiak shots, if you prefer.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112242 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:04 am »

Could it be the flu? I know it's getting about in the US. :( Be careful, go to doctor if need be
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112243 on: January 14, 2018, 12:20:11 am »

Just had an hour long shouting match over the phone with my dad about my "Liberal mindset" and how I'm "lost in the world" He hasn't said it, and I haven't told him, but I think he's on to the idea that i'm not entirely straight. My sister isn't either. My parents are super religious conservatives and it seems like we had a fight every week during these holidays. Apparently my "being lost to the world" is also why i'm struggling in college. (meaning Iv'e had to take out loans and i'm not on some full scholarship like my very religious sister (not the gay one, other sister)) He also hasn't said it, but he clearly blames himself for us not being super religious. I know him, and I know it's not meant to be a guilt trip, but it certainly works as one.

On one hand, I kinda just want to cut contact with them completely. On the other hand, i'm probably the only person that's kept him from doing some really stupid things before when things are hard on him. He just finally retired, and I think hes having a hard time adjusting. Imo, thats where all this anger is coming form.

He didn't exactly tell me I'm going to hell, but at the end he was just saying we think too differently. "We think too differently and were going to end up in different places for that. Maybe I'm wrong, and ill be the one in hell, but we just think to differently to end up in the same place." Again, as much as that feels like a guilt trip, I don't believe it was intended as one.

idk. I kinda just wish he could work his shit out so we don't keep having discussions like this. I wish he was stable enough in everything else that I could cut ties and wouldn't think he would just be miserable and alone. I don't even know anymore.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112244 on: January 14, 2018, 04:57:30 am »

I'm glad I don't have religious fanatic parents.  Of all the family strife I've seen others deal with, it seems to be responsible for most of it.  Almost all if you count indirect influences, like a strict conservative upbringing turning someone in the family rebellious in a destructive way.

It speaks well to your character that you maintain concern for his emotional well-being in spite of the way he handles this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7481 7482 [7483] 7484 7485 ... 8168