Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7302 7303 [7304] 7305 7306 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476593 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109545 on: December 12, 2016, 05:53:20 pm »

Wow, that's a sucky thing to do. On the plus side, at least he does care about you, even if his methods are suspect.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109546 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:41 pm »

Wow, that's a sucky thing to do. On the plus side, at least he does care about you, even if his methods are suspect.

Be careful when you interpret family issues such as these; we don't know Felissian's father's mental state.

Felissian, if you want to talk with me, feel free.

1. See above.

2. Wikipedia is a popularity contest; the heart of the Deletionist philosophy which seems to be common on Wiki is that some people, places, things, and ideas aren't worth recording in history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109547 on: December 12, 2016, 06:05:18 pm »

Did you do cost of living?
1000-2000€ a month.

Significatively more expensive than here (about 4 times as much), but even then my profits would be massive.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:07:02 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109548 on: December 12, 2016, 06:08:16 pm »

Did you do cost of living?
1000-2000€ a month.

Significatively more expensive than here (about 4 times as much), but even then my profits would be massive.

Have you checked the prevailing professional and social culture of the location?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109549 on: December 12, 2016, 06:49:47 pm »

What do you mean?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109550 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:53 pm »

What do you mean?
Will your neighbors welcome you or treat you like The Other? Are your potential coworkers competent and nice?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109551 on: December 12, 2016, 07:57:15 pm »

Honestly fellisan that sucks, but I've learned a lot of people show 'tough love' and it's never worked for me, let alone the majority of people I encounter to be honest. It made me sad when my parents did this to for an extent, a couple years actually.

Still, him doing that and then apologizing in the manner he did, I could see that being the wrong way to go about it. It would be for me as well if I was on the receiving end. The only advice I have is to express this to him, and you may not feel comfortable holding that conversation but I'd do it myself just to know if this person (say my mom, for example) would get it or not, because I've learned that at a certain point you end up feeling that they are going to do it and at least try to mend the way communicating works, or simply not try. That has formed a lot of my relationships in my life, and has been a deciding factor for who I hang out with, and associate with. Just trying to provide empathy here without using the term willy nilly, as I've been in similar (not the same, however) situations.

Edit:to chairman poo
I would say go for it if it's a good opportunity, but then again that means in my opinion only if it were say, something you would actually be willing to move for and adapt to a whole new culture for
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:59:12 pm by x2yzh9 »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109552 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:49 pm »

What do you mean?
Will your neighbors welcome you or treat you like The Other? Are your potential coworkers competent and nice?
It's not like I can tell from Otherland :/

I'm more concerned about the means in the workplace and the opportunities to further my career.
I would say go for it if it's a good opportunity, but then again that means in my opinion only if it were say, something you would actually be willing to move for and adapt to a whole new culture for

Yeah. Therein lies the dillema: To what extent would this move be benefittial (beyond the obvious economical profit. Which is not 100% necessary for me), and whether I'm willing to try this...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109553 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:39 pm »

What do you mean?
Isn't the only question that really matters "do they have decent internet over there?"

But yeah, without knowing specifically in which country the job offer is, I don't think I can give any sensible advice except asking, if you like where and how you are now? Is money enough of an issue to leave what you have behind for some more pay? Big decisions like that deserve a few good nights' sleep over them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109554 on: December 13, 2016, 03:45:40 am »

The job would be in Ireland, so  its not like we are talking about dumping everything to go to Best Korea.

Currently I'm working at a small hospital in my turf, earning around 3k/m. This would be in a larger hospital (not fully clear to what extent as apparently they're two linked hospitals. Would pay around 12k/m. Might or might not get me access to a bone marrow transplantation program...

So yeah its a dillema..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109555 on: December 13, 2016, 03:57:15 am »

-snip-
If it helps you, I'll be repeating the thing I always do whenever we talk; I'm happy for you being my friend :) and are among those who I trust deeply and love talking to whenever I'm able on discord or IRC.

...And you're not doing anything to mess that up :P Although there is the difference between online and offline (considering many other aspects as culture, especially local, and locality and otherwise), there's importance to how you think this out and throughout, which includes all the comparisons that may hit anyone when they're feeling moody towards the current time; you may go out and meet friends too even if there's nobody to go out with at the moment :O It's the point of making a conclusion to settle all that internal conflict; do not give up, because giving up never justifies it in that context. (Although it'll feel like it satisfies it short-term because it cuts off the reasoning that just happened)

Although a bit of nudge to introversion--that's not how or what an introvert is (And seemingly this isn't the only time I'm seeing this, but it seems like many people are getting this idea of 'introvert' being connected to sociability or the innate need for socializing; aside from the basic human needs of belongingness and connectivity, introversion isn't that way at heart, and the conflict or possible feelings coming out there are not a sign of you feeling or being horrible, but moreso the acknowledgement towards satisfying social needs as people are not innately anti-social).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109556 on: December 13, 2016, 05:13:45 am »

My exam question was on a saga which I hadn't been able to find prior to the exam. Got my lowest grade ever.

I'm going to go comfort watch anime and hope the world swallows me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:21:09 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109557 on: December 13, 2016, 05:42:32 am »

I haven't studied a bit for my exam. I'll probably do fine, but it doesn't feel good to procrastinate.

(augh, Dwarfy, that's bringing back last semester's nightmares. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SCRIBBLE ON THIS TWISTY PAPER exam thing - Wait, did I even come to this class? Am I in this class? Wait, I've finished Calc III already...?!)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #109558 on: December 13, 2016, 06:18:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109559 on: December 13, 2016, 06:18:37 am »

The job would be in Ireland, so  its not like we are talking about dumping everything to go to Best Korea.

Currently I'm working at a small hospital in my turf, earning around 3k/m. This would be in a larger hospital (not fully clear to what extent as apparently they're two linked hospitals. Would pay around 12k/m. Might or might not get me access to a bone marrow transplantation program...

So yeah its a dillema..
Relocating as a medical professional is kinda part of the career package what I've seen and heard. Ireland isn't that bad a place. Friends of mine that moved there after their studies have been enjoying themselves there for two decades now. Don't go if you hate folk music though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z_TheGgFWI
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:22:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7302 7303 [7304] 7305 7306 ... 8167