Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7287 7288 [7289] 7290 7291 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487468 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109320 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

It certainly sounds like one. My suggestion would be to simply stop fixating on it all so much. Life is not a fight of good vs. evil.
No one can cope with the evil massing at the gate. Anyone who you think can is acting. That is not a sign of weakness, for it is a cumulative effort.
There is no need to apologise for being an excellent example of a helping spirit. Albeit one, as all such are, overburdened with the amount that needs helping.
Hope is not gone. It merely appears so to you. The sad things in the world get the biggest attention. I am constantly amazed by the goodness of common people, even mixed with the bad.
As for your mother, I can't pretend to speak knowledgeably. I know that on a personal level if I were to choose a life of effort or work over no life, I would choose the former.
Don't shut the world out. Simply become more composed internally by bolstering your own self worth.

As for hugs, I'm not a hug person. Once turned down a cute German girl simply because she came at me for one. Still, as a special dispensation.... *hugs*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109321 on: November 28, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »

...maybe.

I still feel useless.

*hugs*
...Thank you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109322 on: November 28, 2016, 07:28:13 pm »

@TBH First on god and death: If God is dead he died about 75 years ago right around the point they started inventing new words to describe horror. And real flesh-and-blood people lived through that without being gods. An example: my grandfather had the grave misfortune to live directly through some of the absolute worst of it, and but he lived. Long life too: lived to be 87. The man lost family, friends, hopes, dreams, food, water, shelter, 50% of his bodyweight, all of his life possessions, his entire ideology which he believed in when he had nothing else, his country, his nation, quite literally everything, and sometimes multiple times; as long as he was alive, he could try to wait it out, or try something more, or do something different. Anything but surrender.

And as for the other stuff, I sorta know what you mean. I had a bad 24 hours after the election. Bad. How bad? Marked the first time I've ever hallucinated voices; let alone shouting (and God, let that be the last time too). But I mean nothings unprecedented, everything goes on, "This too shall pass," etc. But really, just try to keep yourself unfocused. That's what helped me. It's pretty easy most of the time, after all; just needs a little more push now to keep your mind off things. I stayed away from politics totally for a little while, and that sabbatical did me a ton of good. Just find ways of making the days pass by. Eventually, it'll be easier, as long as you don't go down the path of thinking the worst things.
\
As for hugs, I'm not a hug person. Once turned down a cute German girl simply because she came at me for one.
I hate hugs too man, but turning down cute girls is where I draw the line. All cute girls welcome.

Everyone else can go away (and I mean that in the politest, friendliest way possible). Go hug TBH or something, just leave me be.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109323 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:45 pm »

@TBF

Fakeedit: Also, misko27 is in possession of good advice.

No one is useless. Even simply understanding the severity of our issues and taking the slightest of actions against them, whether it be turning in your ballot on time or making sardonic jokes about how bad things are, is making a difference, however small. If everybody on earth did even a little towards a single goal, we could accomplish something greater than has ever been done. Even a little help from each of us could launch humanity to the stars, or end hunger, or break the cycle of poverty and ruin in a broken nation. It doesn't take a lot from any one person to change the world, if we could just work together, and being possessed of both knowledge and kindness is a wonderful step in the right direction.

My recommendation would be to ask help from someone you feel you can trust, and offer help in return. If your mother's duties are too great for her, ask her for help in helping her to deal with them. It really does sound like the simple act of doing would help you to some extent.

Take everything above with a grain of salt, being as how I'm an exhausted, opinionated amateur with limited knowledge of your situation.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109324 on: November 28, 2016, 07:50:22 pm »

My recommendation would be to ask help from someone you feel you can trust, and offer help in return. If your mother's duties are too great for her, ask her for help in helping her to deal with them. It really does sound like the simple act of doing would help you to some extent.
If only I could.  I literally can't, though.  I'm six hours away from literally anybody, and I'm a useless lazy...Useless person when it comes to doing any of the things that need doing even if I was physically there to do them...

@misko:I know, things have been so much worse, but it's...We've made so much progress and yet we're backsliding again.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109325 on: November 28, 2016, 08:53:39 pm »

Is there somebody you can talk to in person? A school advisor, friendly professor, a personable employer?

Barring that I am open to conversation via PM or Discord.

Seriously, this stuff and these feelings suck to deal with alone. Find somebody to talk to, in person or otherwise if that is unfeasible or too anxiety-inducing to deal with for the time being.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:55:37 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109326 on: November 28, 2016, 09:11:43 pm »

As far as I know, there's literally nobody I know well enough and/or feel really comfortable with talking to.

I could talk with you I suppose.

I...Think I'm feeling better for the moment, though, at least.

...apparently not really.

I should do something, anything, instead of not-sleeping, but I can't focus even if I can muster the willpower to haul myself back to my desk...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:28:01 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109327 on: November 29, 2016, 12:35:42 am »

Hey, I'm feeling a lack of motivation too. Whaddayasay we do some kind of thingie, whatsit, what's the word? Agree to put a decent amount of effort into tomorrow, even though it seems pointless? I figure that would help me at least, so I guess it would help you maybe? (Personal experience is all I have to go from.)

I've found that I feel less depressed after having completed something, so if you complete something you might be able to counteract the vicious cycle of pointlessness. A sense of accomplishment can drive you to accomplish more and whatnot.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109328 on: November 29, 2016, 02:05:42 am »

my partner is indescribably depressed and there's nothing i can do .-.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109329 on: November 29, 2016, 03:22:03 am »

Looks like I need to fill in for TBF and Tiruin as the voice of hope.

...You know people need more philosophy in their life when the cynical douchebag is the one who advocate solution-focused mindset.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109330 on: November 29, 2016, 03:29:03 am »

Just learnt that my grandfather died a few days ago. He wasn't really well the last few months but still. And as I'm half a world away, I won't be to the funerals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109331 on: November 29, 2016, 09:20:36 am »

Hey, I'm feeling a lack of motivation too. Whaddayasay we do some kind of thingie, whatsit, what's the word? Agree to put a decent amount of effort into tomorrow, even though it seems pointless? I figure that would help me at least, so I guess it would help you maybe? (Personal experience is all I have to go from.)

I've found that I feel less depressed after having completed something, so if you complete something you might be able to counteract the vicious cycle of pointlessness. A sense of accomplishment can drive you to accomplish more and whatnot.
Maybe.

Give them a hug.

Seriously.

Be there for them.

*hugs*

*sends hugs for them*

Just learnt that my grandfather died a few days ago. He wasn't really well the last few months but still. And as I'm half a world away, I won't be to the funerals.
I'm sorry for your loss.

*hugs*

...You know people need more philosophy in their life when the cynical douchebag is the one who advocate solution-focused mindset.
Point of order:You're not a cynical douchebag.

Still feeling bleh.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:23:34 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109332 on: November 29, 2016, 09:37:21 am »

Possibly not in presenting answers, but being there, listening to them, and possibly acting as a connection (either to them when they're lacking venting areas) or to other sources of aid, are stuff to do. Possibly, one cannot answer or give needed answers during these times, but one can be there for them and that's something that also matters. Listening to them, and being their anchor of [how whichever speaks to them better that helps comfort them]. Adjust to context though :O
But connections are a major help with anyone who is dealing with many, many things, especially emotionally.

You're not cynical or douchey (or however you spell that) as a whole. :P
Work with yourself because you're a lot more than [probably how you acted in one certain scenario that *seems like* that's how other people will invariably call or perceive you in the future].

@TBF: There's a lot of things to address, along with the need or importance of physical connections. One's own thoughts though, or the 'concepts' that you work with in time, are also important too. Beware when you'll notice you're dwelling too much on one theme or idea that it gets to you and starts affecting you emotionally. Branch out with what language you speak to yourself in mind, or what ideas that come by when you feel down or bad, as all these [language, concept, etc] represent the meaning you'll be working with if they're what you regularly and individually meet when you think about any certain happening. You probably can't control what you see--but you can control how you react, including your own thinking and what or how you think about things. Deconstructing things into concepts you can work with, maybe, as there is always the possibility of being able to handle what's going on around you no matter the scenario.

-snip-
Condolences there :<
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:39:15 am by Tiruin »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109333 on: November 29, 2016, 10:53:53 am »

@Tiruin:Yeah, physical connections are extremely lacking in my life...

That's the thing, the problems aren't around me, they're farther away than I can reach.  The effects of those problems will definitely reach me, but I don't know how I could possibly fight back.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109334 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:03 am »

@Tiruin:Yeah, physical connections are extremely lacking in my life...

That's the thing, the problems aren't around me, they're farther away than I can reach.  The effects of those problems will definitely reach me, but I don't know how I could possibly fight back.
Work with what's specific, and what's in the present. If you're facing a general problem, it may come off that it'll seem a lot less able to be handled because of how indistinct on what where the concern is, as in where it could be handled. So work on what you can do, with what you can control--and that generally begins with yourself; how you handle these, how you react to those concerns.
Pages: 1 ... 7287 7288 [7289] 7290 7291 ... 8167