Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7163 7164 [7165] 7166 7167 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471788 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #107460 on: September 08, 2016, 09:04:54 pm »

*awesome Tiruin is awesome*

Not to be a fanboy but *awesome help*

Glad to know that if I ever need help, awesome people will give awesome advice. Never thought that a Bay12 account could improve someone's life.

Seeing nice people gives me hope and drives away the sads :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:06:58 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107461 on: September 08, 2016, 09:27:09 pm »

@Tiruin:teach meeeee

Armokdammit I want to be a psych major now

You are an amazing person, Tiruin.

@Gamedragon:I cannot help but reiterate, what Tiruin said, seriously.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:30:31 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107462 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:55 pm »

@Tiruin:teach meeeee

Armokdammit I want to be a psych major now

You are an amazing person, Tiruin.
There's a lot of subjects in the curriculum that I really can't teach because of this medium of onlineness :< But there are general categories that you can read up on in your local library that has books in that field. :P
...Aren't you in college too? :3 Make the library your tertiary home! (You can even draw in there in your free time--obviously on the paper you bring, not on books you borrow.)
Also, you can cross-enroll on Psych subjects if you've got both the time and unit load (of course you'll have to be assessed by your instructors there if you can handle it...but maybe that's just a thing here?). A basic prerequisite is from General Psychology (usually 1st year, in our place this covers drugs and other such stuffs along with basic introspection), along with several second-year subjects, depending on your college and how they make their curriculum. :O
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:33:13 pm by Tiruin »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107463 on: September 08, 2016, 09:32:50 pm »

I can probably get into the intro-level courses.

But yeah, I'll definitely consider doing that, because just, seeing you do this stuff, I want to, too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107464 on: September 08, 2016, 09:36:15 pm »

Bearing in mind that for a counseling role there is a significant emotional investment as well as an intellectual one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107465 on: September 08, 2016, 09:37:49 pm »

...I'm already invested in the lives of people I've never met, hector.  Somehow, I think I can manage it.  I mean, I don't want to switch careers, but...I do want to know how to help people.
Sigtext

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #107466 on: September 08, 2016, 09:40:38 pm »

Depending on where you go, there is also patient confidentiality to consider. If they tell someone something you've said as a patient, they can be sued. I'm not sure if this applies to school counsellor type stuff, though.
Student counselors follow pretty much the same rules, usually under some form of no disclosure unless the "student authorizes it or when there is a clear and present danger to the student and/or to other persons.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107467 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:02 pm »

...I'm already invested in the lives of people I've never met, hector.  Somehow, I think I can manage it.  I mean, I don't want to switch careers, but...I do want to know how to help people.

Counseling isn't something you can do as an amateur, but then again counseling isn't the only way you can help someone. Listening and treating them like a human bean is generally good enough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107468 on: September 08, 2016, 09:50:28 pm »

Depending on where you go, there is also patient confidentiality to consider. If they tell someone something you've said as a patient, they can be sued. I'm not sure if this applies to school counsellor type stuff, though.
Student counselors follow pretty much the same rules, usually under some form of no disclosure unless the "student authorizes it or when there is a clear and present danger to the student and/or to other persons.
Student counselors also are pretty much professionals themselves :P So yeah. Unless depending on the place you've got--their place is filled with replacements who may lack the specialty but generally are equipped with handling them (ie Here, we lack professionals in that field, so sometimes Values teachers temporarily fill in). Students cannot fulfill the role of counselors though (ie they're limited to peer counseling, and even then, this is contextual :P)
Also the term 'client' is used instead of 'patient'. Patient is usually never used.

Counseling isn't something you can do as an amateur, but then again counseling isn't the only way you can help someone. Listening and treating them like a human bean is generally good enough.
This.
Psychology, while beneficial, is also a very strenuous course in the mental aspect--you'll have to ensure your own well-being of mind and clarity in order to help others because your own understandings will affect your efficiency :O Other people not in the course of Psychology can pretty much help other people out in general, as Hector says. You can get yourself into reading these books, along with literature that helps broaden your knowledge, skills, and abilities.

You can inquire that in your area, because resource materials are generally all around if you have access to a local college. :3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107469 on: September 09, 2016, 03:35:09 am »

Sometimes I get angry at people for giving me a hard time and not forgiving me for my past, but then I remember that I'm not a good person yet.

She likely would still dislike me since she has no way of knowing I've changed, but I didn't even change that much.

How do normal people act like reasonable adults and not throw tantrums...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:48:29 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107470 on: September 09, 2016, 04:45:15 am »

Acting like a reasonable adult isn't normal.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107471 on: September 09, 2016, 04:49:18 am »

That's strange, because everyone expects everyone to do so.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107472 on: September 09, 2016, 06:28:05 am »

*hugs Cinder*

We're all pretending.
Sigtext

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107473 on: September 09, 2016, 07:13:23 am »

It doesn't get easier to control. You just get better at it and become a stronger person.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107474 on: September 09, 2016, 07:21:54 am »

It doesn't get easier to control. You just get better at it and become a stronger person.

+1, and even if you don't think or feel yourself improving at it, does not mean you aren't.  Everyone's worst judge inevitably is themselves.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 7163 7164 [7165] 7166 7167 ... 8167