Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6974 6975 [6976] 6977 6978 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452344 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104625 on: May 01, 2016, 07:28:34 pm »

but the rest of humanity can at least figure out wth is going on in their brain.

By which you mean neurology majors? The brain is confusing, yo.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #104626 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:12 pm »

Figuring out how the brain works is confusing. It's less confusing understanding what brain wants you to do, as a general rule.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104627 on: May 01, 2016, 07:52:10 pm »

I'm so tired of crackheads and pushy middle-class middle-aged bimbos with more kids than they know what to do with and their slack-jawed wannabe redneck husbands.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SchmittLenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104628 on: May 01, 2016, 08:05:34 pm »

To be honest, I can understand them not wanting to recruit people who have a history of mental health issues, considering the issues veterans already typically have with things like depression and ptsd.
So can I, but the 'why' of that was...interesting.

I can understand too; I just hate the fact that a crack addict still undergoing rehab would have an easier time getting in than someone who had a depression 5 years ago (And I'm serious about that drug shit; My old High School buddy managed to get in even though he had been a diagnosed opium addict (I've got weird friends...) who had finished rehab less than a year before doing his application). I mean, I don't know shit about drugs, but isn't opium kinda bad for your brain? As in, worst than a single bloody depression?
The Age of Nature was a time when Elves and trees (Pleonasm?) lived in peace; Fortunately, this age never happened.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104629 on: May 01, 2016, 08:09:12 pm »

Ah, yes, but the military gets good practical use of opiate painkillers and performance-enhancing drugs, why would they take exception to it outside combat personnel? :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #104630 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:37 pm »

I worded that badly. I meant they know what they're thinking (mostly, sometimes I wonder about that one...). Most people seem to be able to give a fairly concrete reason for doing something; All I can ever to come up with is "it seemed like a good idea at the time."
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104631 on: May 01, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »

I mean, I don't know shit about drugs, but isn't opium kinda bad for your brain?
No, not at all - unless it's been cut with some funky shit, that is.

Rule #0 of talking about drugs: If you vaguely remember something and it sounds like it came from a scare pamphlet against drug use, assume that the opposite is true. Especially when well-known or novel drugs - Heroin, crack, meth, 'bath salts' - are concerned.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104632 on: May 01, 2016, 08:14:45 pm »

Rule #1 of talking about drugs: Never assume rule #0...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104633 on: May 01, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »

I worded that badly. I meant they know what they're thinking (mostly, sometimes I wonder about that one...). Most people seem to be able to give a fairly concrete reason for doing something; All I can ever to come up with is "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Eh, that's more just a matter of how severe your various biochemical situations are. It seems like you're in high school, which leads me to believe that you're just being a reasonably normal HS-age human in that regard.

Keep in mind, a lot of people will just bullshit up explanations rather than admit they don't have one. A lower-than-average skill in the realm of bullshittery is not necessarily negative.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104634 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:07 pm »

Assuming it's been made properly, #0 is pretty reasonable. If you're not sure how pure your drugs are then you should be careful, but that's usually less likely.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104635 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »

It's true though. There's barely any sources of even only semi-neutral information on recreational substances.

And no, erring on the 'safe' side when in doubt is not a good strategy. 'Oh, one hit from my brother's bong didn't turn me into a masturbation-addicted maniac who kills people for drug money. I bet meth is pretty harmless too, then - if they were lying about meth, they're probably lying about everything else too.'
And the worst thing about that: The first hit of meth probably won't get our kid here addicted either (if you don't believe me, ask Toady). The third or fourth or whichever will though, but the scare stories never warn about those...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #104636 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:45 pm »

I'm great at bullshitting people. I just hate not being able to explain my actions to myself. It's getting really annoying to not understand why I say and do things. Like saying I never want to see someone again. I immediately regreted that one.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104637 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:59 pm »

That sounds like fairly usual drama, frankly. Saying dumb stuff and doing dumb things are some of the fun little perks that come with being human, especially if you're under stress or dealing with trauma.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #104638 on: May 01, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »

That doesn't mean I don't blame myself and beat the ever living hell out of myself mentally.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104639 on: May 01, 2016, 11:59:56 pm »

Well yes, but 1: stop, and 2: it doesn't make you some kind of abomination or weirdo.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6974 6975 [6976] 6977 6978 ... 8167