Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6444 6445 [6446] 6447 6448 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446963 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96675 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:10 am »

I'd say it's still great from an individual perspective, at least for most people. There were complications when I was born - I'd probably be long dead without modern medicine. We've just eliminated many of our worries so thoroughly that it's hard to imagine dealing with them.

Everyone can imagine themselves as the hunter who lives a fulfilling life providing for their tribe or whatever, but nobody wants to imagine themselves as the sad baby who dies of some easily preventable disease before their first birthday. The reality is there would be a lot more of the latter.
Yes, but so what?
Said child dies before it has the chance to understand just what it's missing out on. In many ways it's the lucky one, then or now.
Depending on what you believe in, it may even move on to a better place, or be reincarnated to have another go at things.
Yes, but WE understand that if we break society that badly, we'll be killing them, and murder would, y'know, damn you to a bad fate.
...What? O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96676 on: August 28, 2015, 02:21:56 am »

I'd say it's still great from an individual perspective, at least for most people. There were complications when I was born - I'd probably be long dead without modern medicine. We've just eliminated many of our worries so thoroughly that it's hard to imagine dealing with them.

Everyone can imagine themselves as the hunter who lives a fulfilling life providing for their tribe or whatever, but nobody wants to imagine themselves as the sad baby who dies of some easily preventable disease before their first birthday. The reality is there would be a lot more of the latter.
Yes, but so what?
Said child dies before it has the chance to understand just what it's missing out on. In many ways it's the lucky one, then or now.
Depending on what you believe in, it may even move on to a better place, or be reincarnated to have another go at things.
Yes, but WE understand that if we break society that badly, we'll be killing them, and murder would, y'know, damn you to a bad fate.
...What? O.o
I dunno, and I wrote it.
I blame sleep deprivation occasioned by me staying up too late.
But it's still a bad thing to be responsible for all those deaths.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96677 on: August 28, 2015, 06:12:27 am »

Why yes mother I enjoy getting yelled at for not eating because I'm not hungry, that really helps me work up an appetite. Yes I know I'm likely inclined towards diabetes because of my genetics so I should stop eating junk food but sometimes I just have no willpower to make healthy things and no I do fucking not like salad.
Also I have to work in six hours and I can't sleep and that means that my depression or anxiety or whatever the fuck is acting up again. Surely berating me for not eating will encourage me to eat when my response to people yelling at me is always to seclude myself in a safe spot and cool down for several hours.
I'm also hungry but its way too late for me to be eating.

Apologies for incoherency I'm not really thinking straight at the moment.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96678 on: August 28, 2015, 06:46:53 am »

That's probably because you're not eating. Ha!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #96679 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:45 am »

Ach, can relate. Mom logic: son is sad and thinking that study isn't right for him --> GET ANGRY AT HIM AND TELL HIM HE'S A LAZY FUCK WHO'S WASTING GOVERNMENT FUNDS BECAUSE HE ISN'T STICKING WITH THE FIRST (mostly blind) CHOICE OF STUDY. Surely that'll start working now despite only having served to rile up tempers for the past many years. :I
I know it's mostly because she worries for my well being, but i'm not even going to pretend that i understand why she would get angry. Even my brother seems to sometimes comment on how i seem "faded", and he's usually extremely oblivious to how i'm feeling (or at least masking it very well). I don't know how mom isn't seeing it, even though i try not to take my frustrations etc out on others. She's like "yo don't make rash decisions you give up too easily" even though i've been voicing my doubts for about half a year now. It's no longer rash. I started on this semester to see if these classes could re-ignite my interest, and well... No dice. Either i keep going and potentially stay miserable for 3 years, or i drop out and go back to square one. I'm not really pleased with either option, but at the moment, the latter seems to offer me a greater chance of not feeling like shit so often.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96680 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »

That's probably because you're not eating. Ha!
That actually probably was it. Couldn't get to sleep until a while later, so I'm likely running on about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. Eh, I should survive.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #96681 on: August 28, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »

[rant]
We do so many cool things here in the US, but then I look around and watch as lawmakers and people work together to totally destroy everything. I see schools have funding slashed and people starving and dying on the street because we don't care so much that we aren't willing to spend $5 each year on taxes. I see lawmakers using sketchy numbers to convince people and others who are blinded by sports and nationalistic fervor to the point that they don't see any of the damage their demands are doing to the world around them. I watch as lobbyists work to make laws making competition illegal, and their companies drown any new startups in frivolous lawsuits they have no intention of following through on simply to drive any hope of a startup into the ground through legal fees. And so many of these problems have stupid, simple solutions that we just don't seem to want to bother to fix because the people abusing the current situations don't want them to.

And it makes me mad and sad that most likely nothing I do can change this, because our stupid "winner-takes-all" type of voting system makes it so that something like 40% of the votes in my state will most likely count for absolutely nothing. The million or so of us might as well be living on the moon for all the influence we have. There is something wrong when I am looking through pages on what it takes to move to another country despite the fact that I really like some of the things we do here because of how stupidly broken so many things are and how unwilling we seem to be in wanting to fix them. Too many people are unwilling to ask the question of "does it work?" and would rather just shut their eyes and dam their ears and pretend everything is okay when it's not.
[/rant]
Sorry, I just had to get that out.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96682 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »

Yes, but so what?

Imagine yourself as a hunter.

You work day-in and day-out starving, with two malnourished children constantly wailing and a starving wife/husband that waits for you to return each day to ask you why you couldn't catch anything for the tribe and how long it'd be until you starve. Tomorrow you're on the move, and Lord knows you can't start farming otherwise technology will progress again. Then, a child stops wailing. Your two-year-old son is dead, slumped in your spouse's arms with his eyes half closed. It may be disease, hunger, thirst, one of many things, but it doesn't matter. You start off again, living to eat and reproduce. Life goes on in its meaningless form.

preddy edgie rite

People in power like status quo. Status quo means they stay in power. Like dick they're going to allow something like a new invention potentially kick them off of their pedestal.

EDIT: Bored. And the only things I want to do I can't do because of various reasons (for example, I can hardly force youtubers to upload videos)

Quote from: Lord Acton
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:17:05 pm by Laptisen »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #96683 on: August 28, 2015, 05:21:10 pm »

Yes, but so what?

You work day-in and day-out starving, with two malnourished children constantly wailing and a starving wife/husband that waits for you to return each day to ask you why you couldn't catch anything for the tribe and how long it'd be until you starve. Tomorrow you're on the move, and Lord knows you can't start farming otherwise technology will progress again. Then, a child stops wailing. Your two-year-old son is dead, slumped in your spouse's arms with his eyes half closed. It may be disease, hunger, thirst, one of many things, but it doesn't matter. You start off again, living to eat and reproduce. Life goes on in its meaningless form.

preddy edgie rite

People in power like status quo. Status quo means they stay in power. Like dick they're going to allow something like a new invention potentially kick them off of their pedestal.

EDIT: Bored. And the only things I want to do I can't do because of various reasons (for example, I can hardly force youtubers to upload videos)

I go out and kill a mammoth.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #96684 on: August 28, 2015, 06:22:11 pm »

preddy edgie rite

Take an Anthropology course.  There's plenty of academic study of life in indigenous communities, and this is not the picture it paints.  Your description could apply just as easily to the poverty imposed on the homeless in modern society, anyway.  Replace hunting with job searching, digging through trash cans, and filling out endless forms for government assistance that will take forever to process or get denied on technicalities.  Replace dangerous animals with police.  Your concept of indigenous life is probably the most prevalent case of mass cultural cognitive dissonance in history.

Also,

I offer the alternative interpretation that power is mostly obtained by those who desire it, and to desire power indicates a personality is already corrupt.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:25:01 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96685 on: August 28, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »

Yes, but so what?

That's dark, man.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96686 on: August 28, 2015, 06:25:06 pm »

Your description could apply just as easily to the poverty imposed on the homeless in modern society, anyway.
That... was kinda the point of that argument.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96687 on: August 28, 2015, 06:28:41 pm »

Your description could apply just as easily to the poverty imposed on the homeless in modern society, anyway.
As far as I could tell, it didn't have a point.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96688 on: August 28, 2015, 06:32:44 pm »

IMO being deprived of life is way worse than having a crappy life.

Is that your actual opinion or just a regurgitation of Ecclesiastes 6:3?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #96689 on: August 28, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »

As far as I could tell, it didn't have a point.

The point was to convince us that life without modern society is a constant daily struggle on the edge of death.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 6444 6445 [6446] 6447 6448 ... 8167