Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5649 5650 [5651] 5652 5653 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416553 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #84750 on: November 20, 2014, 06:26:04 pm »

Yeah the USA is fucked in terms of ever possibly instituting sensible gun control, since guns are already everywhere and the government is too whipped by the NRA to do anything about those pre-existing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #84751 on: November 20, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

The thing about the USA is that we're the source of said illegal guns. Without actually actively reducing the number of the things (cue TEH GUVMINT IS OF THE 1984! people) the saturation is a problem (though it's not like they'll be imported from Mexico, like some claim.)

I just wish the NRA hadn't gone from "be a responsible gun owner!" to "abolish background checks!"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #84752 on: November 20, 2014, 06:32:51 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84754 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »

Sorry, small rewording to clarify exactly what I meant. When I say "everyone has guns", what I really mean is "everyone who hasn't committed a horrible crime, isn't listed as mentally unstable, and who passes the basic safety test has guns".

I just wish the NRA hadn't gone from "be a responsible gun owner!" to "abolish background checks!"
Yeah, I think that background checks are definitely a good thing to have, especially with things like NICS allowing for computerized nigh-instant checks of the important things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84755 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »

Roommate sprained his ankle. Fortunately we have some crutches around, but this leaves just one healthy person in the household.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84756 on: November 20, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »

If we give everyone guns, it's just going to end up becoming the old west all over again. There are a lot of people in this country that don't deserve guns and can't get them. If we give them guns, they're going to abuse them.

The problem is, the crazy people WILL get the guns if they want hard enough, if not by legal means then by illegal ones. Of course, restrictions will make it harder for J. Random Nutty-Student to go shoot up his classroom, but the same thing could be said for the opposite policy.

It seems to me that the US gun laws are in a kinda inverse 'golden mean', where you get problems of both extremes but benefits of neither. But I'unno.

The thing is, most gun-related injuries and deaths are accidents and suicides.  By removing guns from the general public, we make it harder for crazies to acquire guns for suicidal ramapges and making it harder for those without dreams of vengeance to do permanent harm to themselves.  Furthermore, if you look at the rate of violent crime and murders in countries with strict gun laws its 10 times less than countries like the U.S., even accounting for population.  If you are so scared of your government that you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, maybe you need to move to a different county.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #84757 on: November 20, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

And Tawarochir did cry.
ARSE
Welp, there goes my...
entire...
damn...

!!SHIT!!, that's cruel. Now I'll have to go find the books again.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #84758 on: November 20, 2014, 07:44:31 pm »

I had to drop Eastley Williams the Dire Desperado because of that. Thank Bahamut I copypasta'd the Dragonfire Adept thing into a word processor in time.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84759 on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »

WotC was technically in the right to shut the site down. They want people to buy their books to get the content... but do they have to make it so sodding awkward to just check something on the computer? They could have the archives online! I would pay to use those if they were formatted reasonably well.
Selling hardcover books for twenty billion dollars each is fine. I like having my dusty tomes of knowledge. But I also like having convenient access to the information contained therein. It's a really bad idea to keep denying access to that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84760 on: November 20, 2014, 07:56:22 pm »

WotC was technically in the right to shut the site down. They want people to buy their books to get the content... but do they have to make it so sodding awkward to just check something on the computer? They could have the archives online! I would pay to use those if they were formatted reasonably well.
Selling hardcover books for twenty billion dollars each is fine. I like having my dusty tomes of knowledge. But I also like having convenient access to the information contained therein. It's a really bad idea to keep denying access to that.
Technically the problem comes down to the fact that they are legally required to defend their copyrights if the boundaries are pushed too much in any given location. If they don't do so then it's legally the same as them saying "we relinquish our rights to X", and anyone can have a field day with it. Most likely it was just that the legal company hired by them finally got around to noticing what was happening, and at that point were required to send a C&D letter by law or forfeit the copyrights. I'd probably bet that the people who actually work at WotC don't even know that this happened, most things like this stay pretty much within the walls of whatever lawyer firm was hired to defend them.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84761 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:45 pm »

If they don't do so then it's legally the same as them saying "we relinquish our rights to X", and anyone can have a field day with it.
Imagine if that applied to personal property. Or just on a personal scale in general.
"You didn't stop them keying your car? Well then you must have decided to allow it."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84762 on: November 20, 2014, 08:09:05 pm »

Trust me, 'tis better to turn something in than nothing.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84763 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »

Well, that depends on the professor. Most of my professors are of the "turning in late work doesn't give you any points, since I don't accept late work, and just makes me annoyed because now I have more papers to deal with", so if you miss an assignment it's actually better to not turn anything in (thus avoiding pissing them off) then to turn it in late. Not that you shouldn't do it if you need the practice/study time of course, even if you don't turn it in.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84764 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »

I have an odd feeling that I shouldn't be so happy, but I somehow am
Remember this?
Turns out I got too confident, and I had actually missed a bunch of math homework because of y forgetfulness.
Yay.
Now my mom's angry at me.

Part of me says that I shouldn't let it get to me, just do hand the work in.
Another part tells me I have failed everything and turning in the work will help but I'll just fall in the same vices again.
The orange part should take precedence in your decision. The latter part is destructive.

Also learn from the confidence--its not wrong to feel happy, or at all to attribute such an idea to the end result that you see here. Mark up and organize what details need to be done (ie Important & Urgent).

I am turning them in, of course. Just that I feel I'll just fail again and again.
I'd be linking this for posterity. Specifically #9 :P
Check it! And...pretty much consider the reason behind the results you're seeing instead of dwelling on the results too much.
Pages: 1 ... 5649 5650 [5651] 5652 5653 ... 8167