Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5648 5649 [5650] 5651 5652 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9417214 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #84735 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:05 pm »

Bleh. Shooting at FSU (florida state university, for the unknowing). Three injured, one critical, and the shooter dead. Wonder what the fallout's going to be, if any...
Oh jeez, not another one :(
Aren't these a kind of normal thing in America?
I mean, it is sad, but not surprising.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #84736 on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

I wonder where Obama manages to find all those sleeper agents.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84737 on: November 20, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »

The how manyeth (?) was that this year?
54th, according to several sources.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #84738 on: November 20, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

I wonder where Obama manages to find all those sleeper agents.

The internet.
eBay perhaps?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84739 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »

A girl in health class fainted, and no one seemed to care that the person they were talking to just a minute ago had done so. They just joked about it and otherwise ignored her. :(

And no, it wasn't because of one of the graphic videos health courses love so much, she was just talking to the teacher and she fell.

She's okay, though.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84740 on: November 20, 2014, 05:44:17 pm »

Bleh. Shooting at FSU (florida state university, for the unknowing). Three injured, one critical, and the shooter dead. Wonder what the fallout's going to be, if any...
Probably 'If everyone had guns nobody but the shooter would have been hit!' from the NRA.
Even though the reality is "If nobody had guns then nobody would get shot with guns."
Did you know that 100% of people killed from gunshot wounds were shot with a gun? I know that's probably a surprising percentage, but it's completely true.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84741 on: November 20, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »

Probably 'If everyone had guns nobody but the shooter would have been hit!' from the NRA.
Even though the reality is "If nobody had guns then nobody would get shot with guns."
Did you know that 100% of people killed from gunshot wounds were shot with a gun? I know that's probably a surprising percentage, but it's completely true.
True, but the worst cases almost always popup when only a few people have guns, because then it isn't really easy for anyone to respond to the danger those people are causing. IMO the "best case" situation ranking would be:
"nobody has guns" > "everybody has guns" > "some people have guns"

Since I don't think it's likely the US will be outlawing personal guns Japan-style anytime soon, it might just be better to side with the NRA and push for guns for everyone. Sure people will still get hurt, and it's not going to be as good as having no guns at all, but at least it means that should someone decide to go crazy with the guns they do have other people have the capability to help stop them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #84742 on: November 20, 2014, 06:04:41 pm »

True, but the worst cases almost always popup when only a few people have guns, because then it isn't really easy for anyone to respond to the danger those people are causing. IMO the "best case" situation ranking would be:
"nobody has guns" > "everybody has guns" > "some people have guns"

Since I don't think it's likely the US will be outlawing personal guns Japan-style anytime soon, it might just be better to side with the NRA and push for guns for everyone. Sure people will still get hurt, and it's not going to be as good as having no guns at all, but at least it means that should someone decide to go crazy with the guns they do have other people have the capability to help stop them.
Why after all that, are there no arguments on why the guns are even being used at all? It's given that for every shooting, the one doing it had...problems.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84743 on: November 20, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »

If we give everyone guns, it's just going to end up becoming the old west all over again. There are a lot of people in this country that don't deserve guns and can't get them. If we give them guns, they're going to abuse them.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #84744 on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »

OUtlawing guns in Thailand just resulted in brutal murders.

Oh, and the mafia still have guns.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #84745 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »

Spoiler: guns (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #84746 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »

If we give everyone guns, it's just going to end up becoming the old west all over again. There are a lot of people in this country that don't deserve guns and can't get them. If we give them guns, they're going to abuse them.

The problem is, the crazy people WILL get the guns if they want hard enough, if not by legal means then by illegal ones. Of course, restrictions will make it harder for J. Random Nutty-Student to go shoot up his classroom, but the same thing could be said for the opposite policy.

It seems to me that the US gun laws are in a kinda inverse 'golden mean', where you get problems of both extremes but benefits of neither. But I'unno.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84747 on: November 20, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

Why after all that, are there no arguments on why the guns are even being used at all? It's given that for every shooting, the one doing it had...problems.
It's because they listen to metal/play videogames/watch violent films.
Gosh Tiruin, don't you know anything?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84748 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »

It's all because of those damn kids and their chamber music! We need to outlaw cellos!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #84749 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »

OUtlawing guns in Thailand just resulted in brutal murders.

Oh, and the mafia still have guns.
This has always been how I figured gun bans would lead to. I recall hearing that outlawing guns reduced the number of assaults/crimes involving shootings, but the number of crimes involving stabbing or what-have-you increased significantly.

And outlawing guns just means it would be harder to get guns legally. Criminal organizations/gangs/illegal bodies that don't care about what's legal would still have guns or could get guns through illegal means. Then you just wind up with criminal groups that are better armed than civilians.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 5648 5649 [5650] 5651 5652 ... 8167