Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4903 4904 [4905] 4906 4907 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442348 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73560 on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »

Yeah, we're at the hospital now, and I'm on my phone.
It's so packed today that it took half an hour just to get her a bed, and she still hasn't seen the doctor yet.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73561 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56:51 pm »

I just killed a Player Character that I'm DMing... I'm having second thoughts now that I should've forced a success because 2/3 with 1 failure was harsh enough, but failing on the last one? Thats heartless... But what can you do when they're severely poisoned, unconscious and bleeding in almost every hole imaginable? :'(
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73562 on: April 21, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »

I just killed a Player Character that I'm DMing... I'm having second thoughts now that I should've forced a success because 2/3 with 1 failure was harsh enough, but failing on the last one? Thats heartless... But what can you do when they're severely poisoned, unconscious and bleeding in almost every hole imaginable? :'(
What system?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73563 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

I know that feels. I got some backlash from a player once because due to astoundingly bad rolls, his entire race was wiped out.

Which... y'know... sucks for them.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73564 on: April 21, 2014, 10:05:53 pm »

That's what DM fiat is for.

It's up to yoooou to make the game fun, and it's up to the players and you to inform each other of what they consider fun. Some people want it by-the-numbers, Alea Iacta Est ( :P ) style, and some would be okay with a fudged roll for a annoying situation if they get to keep playing the character.

So basically, if your players would rather the latter-style, where the game fits the story-line and not the other way around (can you imagine how different Star Wars would have been if Vader got a lucky hit in on Luke early on?) then you ought to have fudged it.

If however, they prefer the story had to fit the changes and circumstance of the game as it evolves (and if you think you're up to potentially re-writing any planned storylines because of the roll of a die), then you did the right thing. :D

Games are meant to be fun, and not everyone gets fun the same way.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #73565 on: April 21, 2014, 10:06:43 pm »

Ineed GM;'ing tips :/

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73566 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:03 pm »

Yeah, Call of Cthulhu is good for the sense of real peril.
But at the same time, if you burn through characters decently fast, it ruins the sense of peril anyway.

It was like playing Amnesia up until I died a few times. I just got kind of 'oh, that's it?'
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #73567 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »

I think I should just stop trying to be friends with people online so that I don't have to worry about other people's opinion.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73568 on: April 21, 2014, 10:19:52 pm »

Yeah, Call of Cthulhu is good for the sense of real peril.
But at the same time, if you burn through characters decently fast, it ruins the sense of peril anyway.

It was like playing Amnesia up until I died a few times. I just got kind of 'oh, that's it?'
I admit, some parts are Horror-esque, and some are very light hearted, but this... This was just mean...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73569 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »

In all the games I've ever GM'd, which were not many, I have to confess, I've implemented a "fate point" or "drama point" system, inspired by Warhammer roleplay, which so far has been very much liked by the players. The idea is that every character has a certain number of said points and can spend them for various effects in-game. Usually, we use the following rules: one point spent means something likely but not guaranteed happens (a guard at the gates turns out to be a lazy bum and half-asses the search of your cart), two points spent mean something unlikely happens (an otherwise mortal blow just clips your shoulder and drops you to the ground dazed instead) and three points spent mean something very improbable but still possible happens (the enemy crew turns out to be dead drunk due to the captain's birthday party the night before and takes appropriately large stat penalties). Points are awarded by the consesus of players and GM for good roleplaying and impressive in-character deeds.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #73570 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »

I think I should just stop trying to be friends with people online so that I don't have to worry about other people's opinion.
That doesn't even make sense >_>
Nobody is here to hurt you or denounce you Objective :v

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73571 on: April 21, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

Family drama, but I think I've more or less solved it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73572 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39:11 pm »

That doesn't even make sense >_>
Nobody is here to hurt you or denounce you Objective :v
I'm willing to denounce Obj!

Do I get a cake if I do, or how does this work? :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73573 on: April 21, 2014, 10:44:56 pm »

They just finished trying to give my wife an IV, but they couldn't get it in.
They tried so many times, and it hurt her so bad. They never even managed to get one in.
Seeing her in so much made me almost faint, and my eyes still can't focus properly.

I hope I can take her back home soon.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73574 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:36 pm »

My brother had interns attempt to do his IV.
God it was messy.

I admit, some parts are Horror-esque, and some are very light hearted, but this... This was just mean...
Oh. Then shame on you, I guess.

"drama point" system
Reminds me of the Dresden Files RPG.
Absolutely love the system there. Every one of your characters has a critical 'personality flaw', which the GM can use to set up a 'fate point fork' (basically take a new point and your flaw comes to life in all its glory, or spend a point for you to act out-of character and ignore it.)

Which is awesome. Two of the coolest characters I've seen played were a Vampire lord whose "trouble" was 'makes an entrance', and a half-goblin who had 'Never Shuts Up'.
Best moment was when they had just snuck into an enemy base and were trying to listen at a door when the goblin, who's been restraining himself so far blurts out 'Is anyone hungry, or is it just me?', whereupon the Lord goes 'Well I guess all pretense of hiding is over, thank god for that' and kicks down the door so he can walk in looking back-lit and gorgeous.
Into a fireball trap.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:49:11 pm by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 4903 4904 [4905] 4906 4907 ... 8167