Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4815 4816 [4817] 4818 4819 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449619 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72240 on: March 31, 2014, 01:01:03 pm »

I know, right? A GTFO is inappropriate and should have been placed in the Rage Thread.
WELL IM SORRY I DIDNT PUT IN SARCASM TOKENS LIKE I SHOULD HAVE I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE OBVIOUS
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72241 on: March 31, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »

My head hurts. It has been hurting since yesterday morning and it continues to hurt. Can't exercise, because that makes it hurt worse. Can't do shit. Blood pressure elevated. Scared for my prospects. Pilots do not have blood pressure problems. Neither did I, but hello beautiful, I herd it's time for you to enlist, I'm your friendly fuck-up-yo-life disease. Must visit doctor. Apathetic. Must write to people. Also apathetic. May already be late for all I know.

I'll just go and pretend I'm a dead seal washed up on the beach.

Damn, Avis, you wanted to enlist as a pilot and your blood pressure stabbed you in the back like this?
I dunno yet, maybe it will still turn out okay. But nothing like this has happened before and it's freaking me out massively in addition to hurting like fuck. I already related this in the WTF thread - I was doing my usual pull-ups when there was this sudden sharp pain in the back of my head and then a headache for the rest of the day.
Now it's happened again. I dearly hope this is doctor-fixable.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #72242 on: March 31, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »

It wasn't obvious, but I type a lot of stuff that I think should be obvious, but isn't. So, I don't mind.

Also, that'll be my sad. I say/type stuff and them am misinterpreted and make myself sound like an idiot  :-\

Edit: Good luck with the doctor, Avis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72243 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:26 pm »

Also, that'll be my sad. I say/type stuff and them am misinterpreted and make myself sound like an idiot  :-\
I'm not overweight...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72244 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:39 pm »

They don't make you sound like an idiot, at least not to me.
ARGH now I'm sad because I made you think of that!

*Headdesk*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72245 on: March 31, 2014, 01:25:17 pm »

My head hurts. It has been hurting since yesterday morning and it continues to hurt. Can't exercise, because that makes it hurt worse. Can't do shit. Blood pressure elevated. Scared for my prospects. Pilots do not have blood pressure problems. Neither did I, but hello beautiful, I herd it's time for you to enlist, I'm your friendly fuck-up-yo-life disease. Must visit doctor. Apathetic. Must write to people. Also apathetic. May already be late for all I know.

* IronTomato pats Avis on the back

It's okay, it'll all work out.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #72246 on: March 31, 2014, 02:47:26 pm »

I thought the road trip would help me forget, but coming back my grief has returned. I wish I had someone to talk to about it, but I feel like I'd be annoying people if I just started burdening them with my problems. I know he was just a cat but I knew him for more than half my life.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72247 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »

I'm sad that I have apparently become so resigned to things that I don't even react if I get hit during an argument anymore.  I was surprised, inwardly, because that hadn't happened in a few years, but I just stood there.

I only just now realized she never apologized.  She always used to apologize. 

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72248 on: March 31, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »

Can't decide if I should be learning Dominions 4 or play Age of Wonders III.
Which brings me to the problem, that instead on working and thinking about real problems, I'm wasting my time thinking about video games.

God damn.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72249 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:54 pm »

Damn, Avis, you wanted to enlist as a pilot and your blood pressure stabbed you in the back like this?
I dunno yet, maybe it will still turn out okay. But nothing like this has happened before and it's freaking me out massively in addition to hurting like fuck. I already related this in the WTF thread - I was doing my usual pull-ups when there was this sudden sharp pain in the back of my head and then a headache for the rest of the day.
You may have simply displaced one of your spine segments. It happens occasionally when you pull up, or push up in a slightly wrong way, and it causes you to feel various unpleasant stuff as the nerves that exit your spine column are clinched between your spine's bony bits. Have you tried doing careful stretches?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #72250 on: March 31, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

Essays. Essays. Essays. Essays. Essays. For Tomorrow.  :(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72251 on: March 31, 2014, 05:34:38 pm »

You may have simply displaced one of your spine segments. It happens occasionally when you pull up, or push up in a slightly wrong way, and it causes you to feel various unpleasant stuff as the nerves that exit your spine column are clinched between your spine's bony bits. Have you tried doing careful stretches?

OK, now that I thought about that... it was sudden, so it's not chronic, and it developed after a single act of physical activity, so it's some kind of trauma, displacement or physiological reaction.

Your brain is fine, since you didn't mention vomiting or confusion or what-have-you symptomatic to that, so there's at least that, so we're left with nerves sans brain and skeleton plus blood vessels.

Huh. I literally just found THIS while reading up, but it is dubious for now, especially one of the criteria.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72252 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:44 pm »

Writing a depressed character.

I can't help but feel bad for him :(
I always feel bad when I have to play or write a depressed character :-[. And they are always depressed because they have severe PTSD because our gamemaster for this year doesn't like it when we steal the spotlight from his pet NPC and kills half the party in a needlessly gruesome manner on a regular basis so that we have to rely on whatever last survivor of an ancient and glorious race/cult/clan/organisation he currently wants to imagine himself as.
I can't write sad characters because its either my empathy that drives me to tears or a welling feeling of :( when I re-read to edit, or that I can relate to whatever sad the character is having--regardless of my experience of it or not.
Heh, I know the feeling. Oddly enough, though, the "I can't write" problem for me is the opposite - I do better when my characters are upset for one reason or another. I guess it helps to have a reason to try to pull them out of that mire of misery and despair, something for them to look forwards to and press onwards towards. I can't write happy characters too well because they feel flat to me.

Essays. Essays. Essays. Essays. Essays. For Tomorrow.  :(
Studddyyyyy. *stops distracting you*
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72253 on: March 31, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »

Writing a depressed character.

I can't help but feel bad for him :(
I always feel bad when I have to play or write a depressed character :-[. And they are always depressed because they have severe PTSD because our gamemaster for this year doesn't like it when we steal the spotlight from his pet NPC and kills half the party in a needlessly gruesome manner on a regular basis so that we have to rely on whatever last survivor of an ancient and glorious race/cult/clan/organisation he currently wants to imagine himself as.
I can't write sad characters because its either my empathy that drives me to tears or a welling feeling of :( when I re-read to edit, or that I can relate to whatever sad the character is having--regardless of my experience of it or not.
Heh, I know the feeling. Oddly enough, though, the "I can't write" problem for me is the opposite - I do better when my characters are upset for one reason or another. I guess it helps to have a reason to try to pull them out of that mire of misery and despair, something for them to look forwards to and press onwards towards. I can't write happy characters too well because they feel flat to me.

This is a common problem among many people, as far as I can tell, prevalent enought to birth the entire "true art is about suffering" misconception. My advice for when you are writing a happy character and cannot help but feel that he or she has no distinct personality is to try and do what I call "working from the extreme". This is a very common, very basic trick for creative distinctive ways in which your characters act and it consists of, essentially, exagerrating the character's traits and actions to a ridiculous degree while writing him or her so that you have a clear idea of their behaviour, and then toning it down to a believable level.

To illustrate:
John Lobb enters his kitchen. He is angry. What is his most extreme imaginable reaction to being angry in a kitchen? He is impulsive, so he grabs a sledgehammer and smashes the hell out of his stove. So now you have a good idea of what form his actions will take and can tone it down to merely opening and closing his cupboards very loudly and forcefully while searching for salt.

Or, Urist is in the food stockpile. What is the most extreme thing he can do? Hastily grab a fistful of food from every barrel, stuff himself until he cannot eat enymore and then walk roll up to a booze barrel and spill it all over himself as he tries to pour it in his mouth. Tone it down a bit and you now understand that Urist occasionally overindulges and has a poor spatial awareness.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:42:12 pm by Knit tie »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72254 on: March 31, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

I'd take the opportunity to write about things the character is thinking about that aren't immediately about the pressing matter. Like, if he's overcome some obstacles, he has a chance to think about what makes him happy, why he gets it or doesn't, that sort of thing. Or thinking about the future, or debriefing on the recent past. Or just enjoying himself. Although I think Tolkien did it well in The Hobbit, describing happy, peaceful times of rest as relatively boring and now let's get on with the adventure!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 4815 4816 [4817] 4818 4819 ... 8167