Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4516 4517 [4518] 4519 4520 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429625 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67755 on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:14 pm »

The thing I always try to keep in mind with medical professionals is that by the time they finish their residency they are already so jaded that there is nothing you can do, say, or be afflicted with that could possibly faze them or alter their thoughts in any meaningful way.
Meh...I usually get at least a perk of interest when I explain my Marfanoid habitus to a doc. Mostly because it's a rare thing so they're interested in the same way that a bird watcher is interested to see a rare grackle or an amateur astronomer is interested to see a trinary star system.

Although they're often skeptical too because I'm not 7 feet tall and 90 pounds. Then I show them my chest and my hands (and mouth and feet) and they're like "Mmhhmm...yeah, maybe so."
Would help to get my genome sequenced so they could make a definitive determination but that shit is way expensive for now. I figure in 10-20 years, sequencing your genome will be like stepping in a photo booth. Or at least part of the annual check-up. "Hmm...yup, you've got some allele damage on chromosome 18. We'll just do up a batch of retrovirals from your last template and fix that."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #67756 on: November 21, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »

Apparently /r/weeabootales is a Thing. My god, so much cringe.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67757 on: November 21, 2013, 04:14:01 pm »

I really, really want a desk job, but I have no idea how to get one. I'm going to be stuck in retail forever, and I hate dealing with people. FML.

Also: My daughter was sent home from school sick, and I'm getting chewed out by everyone because I don't like to rely on other people. Yeah, I know we need the money, but this is my kid, not theirs.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67758 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »

Would help to get my genome sequenced so they could make a definitive determination but that shit is way expensive for now. I figure in 10-20 years, sequencing your genome will be like stepping in a photo booth. Or at least part of the annual check-up. "Hmm...yup, you've got some allele damage on chromosome 18. We'll just do up a batch of retrovirals from your last template and fix that."
I know you can get a few different genome partial/full sequence spreads here for $199, $895, and $6,995 (or your mitochondrial for $495), still really expensive though.

Interesting thing about the field of genome sequencing is that the majority of the cost isn't in the sequencing itself, it's in the analysis. We've currently got machines out there that can sequence an entire genome for a pittance cost of electricity in about 10 hours. The big thing is that this then generates a 4-5 gigabyte file, and most biologists don't like it when you just dump a 4 gigabyte file on their desk and say "here, analyze!". As such there's this big new field now for computer programmers to work with biologists to analyze this stuff (my university is actually one of the few out there offering classes on it, though that's not something I'm taking :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67759 on: November 21, 2013, 05:23:55 pm »

There's only 35 purebred Scottish wildcats left in the wild at best. All the rest, a few hundred or so, are hybrids. The species is pretty much guaranteed to go extinct within about a year unless we capture them all and put them somewhere safe where they can breed.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67760 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »

Cats don't go extinct.  They just are wandering off somewhere and aren't interacting with anyone because they aren't hungry yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67761 on: November 21, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »

There's only 35 purebred Scottish wildcats left in the wild at best. All the rest, a few hundred or so, are hybrids. The species is pretty much guaranteed to go extinct within about a year unless we capture them all and put them somewhere safe where they can breed.
IIRC there was a genetic test they did back in 2007 that ended up proving that the populations in Sicily, Anatolia and the Caucasus Mountains are actually the same species as the "scottish wildcat". Needless to say the scottish wildcat association (and a nice chunk of biologists who insisted on the "old" classifications) didn't much agree with this, and insist that they are separate species.

Not saying that it isn't sad that there are so few left, but there is still hope. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67762 on: November 21, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »

I'm not gross or anything but I really don't want a dude I've just met's hands/metal instruments all up in my bits =/
I keep thinking that if I were female, I most certainly wouldn't be comfortable seeing a male gynecologist.  My significant other always goes to a female one. 

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67763 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »

IIRC there was a genetic test they did back in 2007 that ended up proving that the populations in Sicily, Anatolia and the Caucasus Mountains are actually the same species as the "scottish wildcat". Needless to say the scottish wildcat association (and a nice chunk of biologists who insisted on the "old" classifications) didn't much agree with this, and insist that they are separate species.

Not saying that it isn't sad that there are so few left, but there is still hope. :)

It's amusing really that even our wildcats have an independence debate. But yes I know the wildcats are the same as European wildcats elsewhere, I was just referring to the wildcats in Scotland, the number of which has dwindled to 35 purebred animals. We reintroduced ospreys from Norway I think, we could do it again, but there's a sense of continuity that's nice to keep.

I keep thinking that if I were female, I most certainly wouldn't be comfortable seeing a male gynecologist.  My significant other always goes to a female one.

Well we do have prostate examinations.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:50:02 pm by Owlbread »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67764 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »

Eh. Mutts are better, anyway. Hybrid vigor goo!

Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as improvement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67765 on: November 21, 2013, 07:22:23 pm »

That's the Scottish government's attitude. They say we should try to protect what we have and not get caught up in stuff like purity, provided the cat's not black and white or something. At some point they'll all be moggies anyway but I think they should keep a purebred colony somewhere.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67766 on: November 21, 2013, 08:53:51 pm »

As a bit of entertainment, I'm going to imagine this conversation as if you're all talking about people.

Teehee, eugenics!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67767 on: November 22, 2013, 06:56:08 am »

I'm getting evicted today, with no money, no support, no friends able to take me in....and the shelters are full and have a waiting list.  :'(

Fuck Baltimore.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:15:31 am by TwilightWalker »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67768 on: November 22, 2013, 07:00:18 am »

I'm back to crushing on a guy that I thought I got over.
Yay hormones.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67769 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:44 am »

I have disappointed many people.
Pages: 1 ... 4516 4517 [4518] 4519 4520 ... 8167