Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4132 4133 [4134] 4135 4136 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459566 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61995 on: May 18, 2013, 12:29:43 am »

So I'd been hearing this squeeking "feh" sound out the window for a while, I figured it was some kind of bird or something that had gotten lost and decided to just let it be. Then Olive, our cat, meows at the door and wants in. I let her in and realise too late that she's carrying something in her mouth, though it was too dark for me to clearly make out what, I figure it's another mouse or something and go get a paper towel to pick it up with, when I turn on the lights I see that actually she's got a little baby rabbit, I go over and try to pick it up only to have it start wriggling as I reach for it and make a "feh" sound, just like the one I'd been hearing...

At this point I lost my composure, stepped away, and quietly tried to contain a panic attack.

Fortunately my brother came along and took care of it for me, I really don't think I could have dealt with that.

(I'm not nearly so scared of the 15-page paper I have to start writing tomorrow.  That's kid's stuff, comparatively.  I will never complain about the formatting required for English papers ever again.)
I'm really not sure how anyone can write a 15-page paper about anything... I have never managed to find that much to say about anything.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61996 on: May 18, 2013, 12:31:35 am »

I think some of my longer posts on this forum edge seven pages when formatted in Word. You've just got to get to a state of flow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61997 on: May 18, 2013, 12:33:14 am »

AND have fifteen pages worth of crap to say about the subject in question, which for me can be difficult.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61998 on: May 18, 2013, 12:39:07 am »

The thing I'm writing on is 2500 pages long.  I'm sure I can squeeze out 15.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61999 on: May 18, 2013, 12:44:40 am »

I'm never going to be able to get through this higher education stuff, am I?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62000 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:37 am »

Vector is, if I recall correctly, doing the final work of a high-end literary-focused course. Don't worry too much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62001 on: May 18, 2013, 12:47:36 am »

No, don't worry about it at all, seriously.  It's a senior comparative literature seminar and I could have written on a shorter book (~250 pages), but I wanted to take the opportunity to write about this particular Chinese novel.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62002 on: May 18, 2013, 12:50:03 am »

Its kind of like watching the matrix and assuming you could never do martial arts.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62003 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:10 am »

Its kind of like watching the matrix and assuming you could never do martial arts.
You mean Vector's not really writing the paper, she's just using lots of special effects and stunt doubles?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62004 on: May 18, 2013, 12:53:07 am »

. . . MY SECRET IS OUT

I'M NOT JACKIE CHAN AT ALL

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62005 on: May 18, 2013, 12:58:42 am »

So I'd been hearing this squeeking "feh" sound out the window for a while, I figured it was some kind of bird or something that had gotten lost and decided to just let it be. Then Olive, our cat, meows at the door and wants in. I let her in and realise too late that she's carrying something in her mouth, though it was too dark for me to clearly make out what, I figure it's another mouse or something and go get a paper towel to pick it up with, when I turn on the lights I see that actually she's got a little baby rabbit, I go over and try to pick it up only to have it start wriggling as I reach for it and make a "feh" sound, just like the one I'd been hearing...

At this point I lost my composure, stepped away, and quietly tried to contain a panic attack.

Fortunately my brother came along and took care of it for me, I really don't think I could have dealt with that.

All I can think of is The Maxx.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62006 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:09 am »

. . . MY SECRET IS OUT

I'M NOT JACKIE CHAN AT ALL
Is this where we do the speech about living a lie, not because of the prestige, but so that you can be the hero they need to look up to, so they can carry on? God I love that speech.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62007 on: May 18, 2013, 01:03:45 am »

We found a bunch of kittens living under and behind our woodpile. Deciding that it would be better to try and find homes for them than to let them join the ranks of stray feral cats around here, we built a shelter, laid out some food and water, and spent a good hour digging them out of the woodpile and transferring them to the shelter. Now we're beginning the process of trying to get them used to humans and setting up fliers looking for adopters. We're also planning to keep one, a prospect I'm...less than enthusiastic about.

Sadly, it appears that one of the kittens is already going feral; it'll hiss at, claw, and bite anyone that tries to touch it. We're hoping it's just stress from getting caught, but if it doesn't improve soon we'll probably have to send it to a shelter to be put down.

Unless they're significantly older kittens, I really doubt that one is "going feral". It's probably just the biggest of the group, and it's stressed, afraid, confused, and possibly injured. A calm environment, gradual socialization with humans, and time will make a significant impact over the next few months of development. It's possible that it might still end up being a grumpy cat, but I know people who love grumpy cats, so don't give up yet.

Were you planning on finding them homes directly, or bringing them to a shelter? Since they're wild-born, odds are they have picked up a parasite or two, so the regular regiment of shots are in order. I'd advise getting them to a no-kill shelter ASAP, where they'll be given medical care and human socialization. It's their best chance for adoption.

You can get into some pretty sizable projects, especially graduate level stuff. My Brother-in-law's dissertation has taken him years, and I believe it is over 1000 pages. But the build up to those is gradual, and you generally have a long time to work on them. Also, it's something he's particularly passionate about, which helps.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:06:37 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62008 on: May 18, 2013, 01:04:54 am »

Is this where we do the speech about living a lie, not because of the prestige, but so that you can be the hero they need to look up to, so they can carry on? God I love that speech.

Given that I'm currently living the lie that I haven't been having a panic attack for two hours or so now, sure, let's add that one to the pancake-stack :I

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62009 on: May 18, 2013, 01:08:12 am »

Look, if you are having pancakes, you might as well stack them.
I'm not sure what the metaphor implies, I just like pancakes.
Pages: 1 ... 4132 4133 [4134] 4135 4136 ... 8167