Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3944 3945 [3946] 3947 3948 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9478984 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59175 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:35 am »

1981 here, which explains why Thatcher is my most hated individual.
*1981 highfive*

Man, I just wish I hadn't thrown out/donated a lot of my old toys.  Original Transformers, M.A.S.K., Dino Riders, Go-Bots, etc. 

Oh, and, my mom is likely going to die any day now. 

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59176 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:37 am »

I can relate.  I'm not a total packrat, but I cannot stand to leave something that brings me utility.  Even if it's utility that I'm unlikely to ever use.  In Cataclysm, it's hard for me not to have every tool in the game on my person all the time.  I fully share the need to identify everything.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59177 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:00 am »

So you RP as a OCD minotaur?
Yeah, sure. >.>

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #59178 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:51 am »

"Sorry, we at Windows Vista have decided that you need to disable DEP to run Steam."
*goes through the hoops to disable DEP*
"You cannot disable the DEP for this program."

::)

Any (brief) tech support welcome! If worst comes to worst, I can always re-install.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:55:41 am by Korbac »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59179 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:09 am »

DEP? More like DERP.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59180 on: March 14, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »

I can relate.  I'm not a total packrat, but I cannot stand to leave something that brings me utility.  Even if it's utility that I'm unlikely to ever use.   In Cataclysm, it's hard for me not to have every tool in the game on my person all the time.  I fully share the need to identify everything.
This is the worst part. My grandparents were fond of defending their hoarding with "You never know when it might come in handy..."
And now I think that way. Even when the handiness of said items is only hypothetical and much open to debate.

You know the Chips Ahoy bags with the little plastic trays inside for the cookies? Now, both of those can be reused in a number of clever ways. The trays can hold all sorts of items that you want to sort. The bags can....well, they're bags! They hold stuff! And they have built-in crimp ties!

So my grandmother would take them after all the cookies were gone, wash the tray, clean out and neatly fold the bag and store them away. After she died, we found over 500 of each, neatly and orderly stacked away in the basement.  :o

It wasn't about using them, it was about having the potential to use them. I've come to realize that hoarding kinda goes hand in hand with an obsession with preserving potential. I'm afraid to make big decisions because they almost always mean discarding potential outcomes. I see a dozen potential uses for something, but I never actually use it because doing so means discarding eleven of those potentials.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59181 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »

Not sure what I am going to do about my pathfinder game. While I am extremely disheartened I know I am easily discouraged.

The issue however is fundemental in that my players don't trust me. There is no expectation that I am attempting to run a fun game for everyone and that I am intentionally being as malicious as possible in order to kill the PCs.

Which to confound it, the only death the game has had was a suicide... on the second session.

I don't know what to do at all. This doesn't seem like something I can recover from because no matter how well I run the game, no matter how uneventful or overeventful things are... The players are always going to think I am out to get them in the worst way.

Which for a game where I need to challenge them is like a poison.

I think the issue ultimately was that I should have been more transparent and told my players EXACTLY how things worked. Though that is all retrospect. Now it is about whether or not I should continue the game.

In terms of what I want to do. I want to continue the game.

Yet I know that as a DM it is my responsibility to ensure the best possible games I can provide to my players.

As well I know a few of them are talking about how terrible a DM I am and talking to the other players about it. Which is a 50% "we don't like how you are DMing" ratio.

----

Nevermind I ended it.

The players weren't having fun and did not believe I was there for their enjoyment.

I am saddened.

:/

It always sucks to put time and care into crafting a story or artistic piece or other experience, only to get burned by the people you share it with. Don't let it keep you from trying again; just review what happened, and why it went the way it did. It sounds kinda like this was partly your group's fault too, so don't take it too hard on yourself.

My last GM always joked that he was trying to off us, and we joked and ragged on him about it too. I think most of the players understood his job was to challenge the players, while keeping things interesting and moving forward. If the players don't understand that, or don't enjoy that, then you can suggest someone else GM for a bit, or go and find another group.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59182 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:15 pm »

I keep on telling client he has 3 separate cases. (3) Three.

I got ONE of them reduced to personal bond (you sign out on a signature). One down, two to go. He does not get this. He's gonna be super pissed when they take him back to jail tonight.

I spent an hour going over this with him last night in the jail. He don't wanna listen to anything he doesn't agree with....

Why do you think I set another appointment to meet with you for next week IN THE JAIL if you were getting out tomorrow? [sigh] I keep on telling him, you don't really get to participate how things go, but there are only certain choices you get to make, like whether to go to trial or accept a plea, etc. The prosecution isn't just gonna drop things, because you want that. Of course you want that. Everybody does. Doesn't work that way.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #59183 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:55 pm »

Truean, please tell me that for every client that makes you post in this thread there is one that actually shuts up, pays you, and gets their get-out-of-jail-free card :/
It sounds like you have one hell of a clientele.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59184 on: March 14, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

I think being a bailer is basically being a character in an Elmore Leonard novel, so maybe it pays off by being very detailed in character and having nice dialoge? Of course you'd also be in a very stripped-down narrative and get shot a lot, so there's that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59185 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:02 pm »

Truean, please tell me that for every client that makes you post in this thread there is one that actually shuts up, pays you, and gets their get-out-of-jail-free card :/
It sounds like you have one hell of a clientele.
If they were that smart, they wouldn't be in a situation to need Truean to begin with. Just sayin'.

You really need to do something like intellectual property law. Where the people involved are, by definition, intellectual. (unfortunately IP law also tends to leave you working as a soulless corporate drone safeguarding the fortunes of oligarchs...but hey, good money.)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59186 on: March 14, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »

I honestly do not know very much about intellectual property law. I believe you have to pass a separate bar exam for that and ordinarily you've gotta have a background in chemistry (pills/medicine), mechanical engineering (physical objects), computer science (coding), or something like that. I do not.

I used to do far more business law, but then you know ... the economy and all that sorta died and puked on itself. Crime, on the other hand, is on the rise. You go where the fish are.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59187 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:01 pm »

I'ma fishy! :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59188 on: March 14, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »

I honestly do not know very much about intellectual property law. I believe you have to pass a separate bar exam for that and ordinarily you've gotta have a background in chemistry (pills/medicine), mechanical engineering (physical objects), computer science (coding), or something like that. I do not.

I used to do far more business law, but then you know ... the economy and all that sorta died and puked on itself. Crime, on the other hand, is on the rise. You go where the fish are.
Swimmin with the fishes eh?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59189 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »

I'ma fishy! :D
This made me laugh.

@Truean: I have a friend who went into IP law out in California. Damn good money in it, but she got sick of the "keeping rich people rich" angle of it (and the "you're not allowed to have a life" angle) and finally took about an 80% pay cut to go work for the state government as a deputy attorney general. Poorer but happier.

Pages: 1 ... 3944 3945 [3946] 3947 3948 ... 8167