Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3943 3944 [3945] 3946 3947 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9481009 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59160 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:25 am »

Redking, the problem with that "I'm sooo old" statement with the toy is that is the coolest toy. Seriously, what does it do? It's great looking.
What MZ said -- it was a programmable robot for home use...decades before stuff like Roombas and LEGO Mindstorm.
Quote from: Wikipedia
HERO 1 was a self-contained mobile robot controlled by an onboard computer with a Motorola 6808 CPU and 4 kB of RAM. The robot featured light, sound, and motion detectors as well as a sonar ranging sensor. An optional arm mechanism was available.

....it also apparently had less computational power than most wristwatches and calculators today.  :-\

@MZ: So, you're like the real-life version of Girlinhat's "dwarven daycare" idea??  :-[
Did you have to fight puppies?

Since we're on the topic, I've been thinking a bit lately about my f*cked-up early childhood. I mean, everything after age 7 or so was good. We were poor, but I was treated really well by my grandparents. Better than I deserved, to be honest.

But from like age 4-6....  :-\
Nobody should go through that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59161 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:26 am »

@MZ Awesome, mate. Happiness, I believe, always shines brighter when you know sadness quite well. I've been having a bit of a time of it recently, and recently I've been feeling better and that simple fact makes me feel ever better.

@Redking I heard that the third generation of a family is always the hardest because they don't get any lessons from the parents, cos they get too arrogant on the skills they learned from their parents, who took the time out to explain stuff cos their parents didn't teach them, and so the cycle goes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59162 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:51 am »

It wasn't so much a lack of lessons as a "Parents split, mother got remarried to an illiterate bastard who practiced facepunching (and stabbing and arm-breaking and burning) on a 4-year old."

Still regret that I never got the chance to deal out payback when he was old and decrepit.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59163 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:53 am »

Whoa, okay, you don't stab, break the arms of, and burn a four year old. At least abuse as punishment didn't cause anything more then a bruise and could be interperted as a "lesson" by arseholes. You could kill someone by stabbing them!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59164 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:09 am »

It was less stabbing and more "pinning my hand to the table in a drunken rage with a steak knife."

Y'know, I should probably stop here. Shit's old news, 30+ years now. It sucked, but it's over with. And there are way too many kids out there who've had it far worse.  :-\

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59165 on: March 14, 2013, 10:33:24 am »

@MZ: So, you're like the real-life version of Girlinhat's "dwarven daycare" idea??  :-[
Puppies, no. Other children, yes. At least three a day. Sometimes the teenagers. Also, sometimes I had to fight off the black lab for food, but it wasn't malicious.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59166 on: March 14, 2013, 10:43:19 am »

Puppies, no. Other children, yes. At least three a day. Sometimes the teenagers. Also, sometimes I had to fight off the black lab for food, but it wasn't malicious.
MaximumZero complained of hunger lately. He slept in an awful bedroom lately. He was upset to be wearing tattered clothes lately. He enjoyed started a fist fight recently. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59167 on: March 14, 2013, 10:50:01 am »

MaximumZero complained of hunger lately. He slept in an awful bedroom lately. He was upset to be wearing tattered clothes lately. He enjoyed started a fist fight recently. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.
Naaaah. My mom is an Expert level Clothier/Weaver. We never had tattered clothes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59168 on: March 14, 2013, 11:10:56 am »

Naaaah. My mom is an Expert level Clothier/Weaver. We never had tattered clothes.
That explains why you never went into a fell mood.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59169 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:55 am »

It appears the conversation is still going.  1983 here.  It does feel weird to be among the elders of the forum.  It doesn't seem so long ago when I was the 13 year old kid online hanging out with mostly people in their early 20s.  This feels like a place where age hardly matters, though.  It's pretty awesome.  In fact, this place is an ideal I've been searching for most of my life, where the content of someone's words are judged on their own basis, regardless of who they are in any other capacity.  I'd struggled just to find individuals who operated that way, and here I've found a whole community of them.

And why does it seem like almost everyone I know that's my age or a little bit older had absolutely horrible, neglected childhoods?  I'm pretty lucky in that regard.  My parents were dirt poor when I was little.  Couldn't afford better than a 3 room shack that barely held together, and they still had to worry about utilities being turned off on them.  They were really dedicated though.  The type that would go hungry so I never had to.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59170 on: March 14, 2013, 11:15:21 am »

It appears the conversation is still going.  1983 here.  It does feel weird to be among the elders of the forum.  It doesn't seem so long ago when I was the 13 year old kid online hanging out with mostly people in their early 20s.  This feels like a place where age hardly matters, though.  It's pretty awesome.  In fact, this place is an ideal I've been searching for most of my life, where the content of someone's words are judged on their own basis, regardless of who they are in any other capacity.  I'd struggled just to find individuals who operated that way, and here I've found a whole community of them.
This. All of this. Even the 1983 part. '83-five!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59171 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:51 am »

This. All of this. Even the 1983 part. '83-five!

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59172 on: March 14, 2013, 11:26:03 am »

And why does it seem like almost everyone I know that's my age or a little bit older had absolutely horrible, neglected childhoods?  I'm pretty lucky in that regard.  My parents were dirt poor when I was little.  Couldn't afford better than a 3 room shack that barely held together, and they still had to worry about utilities being turned off on them.  They were really dedicated though.  The type that would go hungry so I never had to.
Like I said, mine was just horrible for a couple of years there.  After that, it was pretty good. My grandparents were Depression-era folks (born 1923 and 1927), so they knew how to get by on very little and still keep their dignity. They were also very crafty at saving and reusing things. And packrats....dear God. At least I come by my hoarding nature honestly. Although it does tend to cause me problems in roguelikes. :(

PICK UP ALL THE THINGS

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59173 on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:59 am »

Like I said, mine was just horrible for a couple of years there.  After that, it was pretty good. My grandparents were Depression-era folks (born 1923 and 1927), so they knew how to get by on very little and still keep their dignity. They were also very crafty at saving and reusing things. And packrats....dear God. At least I come by my hoarding nature honestly. Although it does tend to cause me problems in roguelikes. :(

PICK UP ALL THE THINGS
I have an "identifying" addiction in Crawl. Especially Randarts. Especially Randarts that I can't use.
* MaximumZero  is a minotaur fighter.
"Ooh, a shimmering naga barding! I must know what it is!"

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59174 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:40 am »

So you RP as a OCD minotaur?
Pages: 1 ... 3943 3944 [3945] 3946 3947 ... 8167