Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3623 3624 [3625] 3626 3627 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465874 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54360 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:44 am »

To be good, it must be YOU who decides to do it, and no one else. People do not always make that decision, and so there is evil.

Hm. It isn't a decision to me. To not do good is not an option. It is less than unacceptable, it is anathema. It doesn't matter who is watching or isn't watching, I do what I know is right because I'm a good person. Sounds pretty arrogant coming from a drug addict, but eh. YMMV. I've never quite understood the whole, "Drugs are wrong" thing. Drugs are bad, yeah, I get that. They kill you. But wrong? What is so wrong with it that it's worse than drinking or smoking cigarettes?

Second: Genghis khan. In Mongol Culture, The Horse was more important then man. People Lived entirely off of horses, eatign their meat, drinking their milk, wearing their leather, using them in their way of life. The Mongolian Honor ode refleacted this. When Genghis Khan Wiped Cities and towns of the map, he wanted (at least early on) Grazing room for his horses. He simply didn't care about the millions who were wiped off the face of the earth. He really didn't.

IIRC, Genghis Khan actually sent emissaries to the places in his path, and gave them an option: Join peacefully and pay (Surprisingly reasonable) tribute, or be utterly destroyed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #54361 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:44 am »

I find it ironic that, after being responsible for the death of countless people, good ol' Genghis drowned in his own blood. The universe is the best poet.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54362 on: October 18, 2012, 12:14:39 am »

One day there will be a law in Physics that will closely resemble the TV Tropes pages about Rule of Cool, Rule of Drama, and Rule of Funny.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #54363 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17:07 am »

Which can adequately be explained with the monkey sphere thing. I'm not disagreeing with you there. I just quipped that monkey spheres do not excuse such behavior, so while it does explain, it does not justify.

I'm not sure we really disagree on anything regarding the monkey sphere thing.
I'm not entirely sure either. I may have just felt like arguing. I should get to sleep. Get aggressive when sleep-deprived. But must also study! Damn it.

To be good, it must be YOU who decides to do it, and no one else. People do not always make that decision, and so there is evil.

Hm. It isn't a decision to me. To not do good is not an option. It is less than unacceptable, it is anathema. It doesn't matter who is watching or isn't watching, I do what I know is right because I'm a good person. Sounds pretty arrogant coming from a drug addict, but eh. YMMV. I've never quite understood the whole, "Drugs are wrong" thing. Drugs are bad, yeah, I get that. They kill you. But wrong? What is so wrong with it that it's worse than drinking or smoking cigarettes?
They. like cigarettes and alcohol mid you, to lesser extent, deprive you of rational thought, and are by definition self-indulgence. Not all that entirely different from eating shit fast food when alternatives are available, except you may also lose your ability to say no. Its all part of the same thing

Denying reality. One of my favorite quotes is this: the right is composed of people who would fight to the death to preserve the possibility of becoming rich, rather then face the reality of being poor. Semi-similar to here, denying reality through escapism. Escaping reality to avoid dealing with the hard facts is prevalent in a lot of things, from shyness, to drugs.

One day there will be a law in Physics that will closely resemble the TV Tropes pages about Rule of Cool, Rule of Drama, and Rule of Funny.
The law on Conservation of Ninjitsu. Most important.

EDIT: Now I really do need sleep, If anyone sees up after this, sound very annoyed. I must get to work and sleep.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:19:03 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54364 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54:06 am »

Only reason I do what I do is because I want to experience new stuff. I crave new experiences.

It's why I'm a fan of psychadelics and stay away from sedatives.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54365 on: October 18, 2012, 12:55:49 am »

Only reason I do what I do is because I want to experience new stuff. I crave new experiences.

See, I feel about the same way. Except I took sedatives. You just take waaaay too many and you'll stay up. At least with Xanax. And me. Don't do what I tell you to. It's a bad idea.

But other people would take one xanax bar and pass out. I'd take five and be all hyped up.
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #54366 on: October 18, 2012, 01:20:00 am »

Xanax is alprazolam, iirc, a short-half-life bd. It shouldnt have stimulating effects (except as a weird and unusual paradoxical reaction). It's more likely that, if you were abusing them regularly, you simply developed resistance to it's effects (and its worth noting that resistance comes faster for some effects than the others. In particular, sedation is the first to go).

The rule of thumb is that tolerance and dependence come after about 4 weeks of continuous usage, but it can be much faster when used recreatively.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54367 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:48 am »

^ my philosophy

My brother's friends do Xanax. It sounds pretty crappy.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #54368 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:43 am »

A million people is nothing. There are three hundred million people in the USA. One million is less than a percentage point.
You know, there's other countries but the USA out there.
A million people is 50% of my country's population :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54369 on: October 18, 2012, 04:36:49 am »

In my country, there are 400,000 unemployed.
That doesn't sound so bad until you think that we've got a population of a mere 20,000,000. 5% roughly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #54370 on: October 18, 2012, 05:29:10 am »

And its prolly worse than you think, as "unemployed" does not include retirees or children.
(Also: if you think 5 is bad: here its 25 and growing)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:32:07 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54371 on: October 18, 2012, 06:14:41 am »

Spain? I feel your pain.

Apparently although this is unverified, 70% of studying 18-24s in my state are unemployed.
HOW THE DICKENS DO I MANAGE TO STUDY THEN?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54372 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:34 am »

I learned about the concept of a person having 'a sense of agency' recently, and I realized that I definitely did not have a sense of agency growing up. I've been thinking about how to make an already disempowered person feel more empowered, it would probably help more than just me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54373 on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:34 am »

Most empowerment involves getting the disempowered person to create something with their own hands and/or mind. Or take charge/care of something.

At least, is what I heard.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54374 on: October 18, 2012, 09:41:07 am »

Yeah, it's about allowing them a way to have some measure of control over their environment. Incidentally, it's also a good technique for defusing battles with small children. You want them to wear a long-shirt shirt, because it's cold outside. They want to wear their favorite tank top. Rather then saying, "NO. You will wear THIS.", you say "Okay, you can choose one of these three shirts" or "Okay, you can wear the tank top with one of these shirts over/under it." That way they feel like they still have some say in the matter.

Small children are essentially tiny extremists -- you have to include them in the decision-making process or they'll resort to sabotage and violence tantrums to overthrow the system. Mine are pretty good, but occasionally channel their inner bomb-throwing anarchist with a vengeance.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3623 3624 [3625] 3626 3627 ... 8167