Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3622 3623 [3624] 3625 3626 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466603 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54345 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22:02 pm »

Seriously, as a massive extrovert, I find simply asking what someone has been up to and discussing that is a good first topic. Maybe they have done something cool and want to talk about it. If not, well, your gonna have to do the running there I am afraid. This has the bonus of coming across as not too sleazy, polite, and also the big plus that it makes it sound like you actually care about them if asked in the right way.
This is what I'd suggest. And presumably you actually DO care about them, so you're not just "sounding like" it :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54346 on: October 17, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »

Seriously, as a massive extrovert, I find simply asking what someone has been up to and discussing that is a good first topic. Maybe they have done something cool and want to talk about it. If not, well, your gonna have to do the running there I am afraid. This has the bonus of coming across as not too sleazy, polite, and also the big plus that it makes it sound like you actually care about them if asked in the right way.
This is what I'd suggest. And presumably you actually DO care about them, so you're not just "sounding like" it :P

This. I find that 'How was work/school/your day?" Is about the most efficient conversation starter. If nothing happened fun, then you can be like, "That sucks. Next time you're having a lame day, let's hang out! /text me/whatever."
If something awesome happened to them, you can talk about that. Go with the flow.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54347 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:22 pm »

My favorite Social studies teacher retired, and now my little brother won't get the pleasure of having him. He was boring, yet funny at the same time. I think the main reason for this is because of the frequency of which he said now. For example, 1 month in to the school year, we had already lost count of how many nows there were. I think it was around 1000 or so.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #54348 on: October 17, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »

Damn, Amazing Athiest. Note: swearing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54349 on: October 17, 2012, 11:28:50 pm »

I used to be subscribed to AA. Then I realized that he is, a douchebag. So now I don't watch him.

What's the video about, and why is it sad?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54350 on: October 17, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »

I used to be subscribed to AA. Then I realized that he is, a douchebag. So now I don't watch him.

Suicide. And Amanda Todd. And why Amanda Todd is martyred and why none of any of the other suicides are. It's pretty depressing to watch.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54351 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:56 pm »

My best friend is most likely breaking up with his girlfriend soon. And I'm kind of happy he's being open about this since he usually doesn't discuss serious things like this with me, which makes me feel like a douche for being happy when he's so down.

Suicide. And Amanda Todd. And why Amanda Todd is martyred and why none of any of the other suicides are. It's pretty depressing to watch.

Suicides get martyred all the time. Seemingly random ones get picked out and sensationalized. So why is AmazingAtheist picking Amanda Todd out of all the other popularized suicides to criticize? What hypocrisy.

/notentirelyserious

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54352 on: October 17, 2012, 11:43:49 pm »

He's got a fairly good point; eg, why aren't all suicides paraded as tragedy. Except this is a flawed and unjust world, filled with flawed people. You can strive to make it better, but it will always be far from perfect.
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54353 on: October 17, 2012, 11:45:42 pm »

Pretty much every suicide deserves to be martyred. Certainly a good criticism if it's pointing out how many get ignored

Few attitudes are more monstrous than saying a suicide victim somehow deserved it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #54354 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

He is clearly a fraud, taking away from the First and most depressing depressing Atheist:

Joseph Dzhugashvili, Also Known As Koba the Butcher, Better Known As Joesph Stalin

"One man is always the dead, a million is just a statistic."

-Possibly misattributed. But it adds to my point.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54355 on: October 17, 2012, 11:54:22 pm »

A million people is nothing. There are three hundred million people in the USA. One million is less than a percentage point. Sometimes I find myself confused about the value of human life. On one hand, I feel bad for people as mentioned in the video, that ended themselves out of despair, or people that are abused and broken and damned. On the other hand, I find myself coldly contemplating the kind of people that can allow such things to happen.

Like that quote. Once a man asked another man (Nietsche?), "Why don't you ask God why he allows such evil to be in the world?"
"Because I am afraid he would ask me the same thing."

What's worse? People being evil to another? Or being evil to the evil doers? Kind of a capital punishment type dilemma.
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54356 on: October 17, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »

A million people is nothing. There are three hundred million people in the USA. One million is less than a percentage point. Sometimes I find myself confused about the value of human life. On one hand, I feel bad for people as mentioned in the video, that ended themselves out of despair, or people that are abused and broken and damned. On the other hand, I find myself coldly contemplating the kind of people that can allow such things to happen.

Like that quote. Once a man asked another man (Nietsche?), "Why don't you ask God why he allows such evil to be in the world?"
"Because I am afraid he would ask me the same thing."

What's worse? People being evil to another? Or being evil to the evil doers? Kind of a capital punishment type dilemma.
As always, I justify evil by saying that evil is inherent to free will, and that allowing evil is the consequence of The knowledge of your actions. To Be good (or evil) is to actively make the choice betweeen what is right, and what is easy. He could FORCE you, but that isn;t the same. You aren't being good if coerced into it. To be good, it must be YOU who decides to do it, and no one else. People do not always make that decision, and so there is evil.

Also, Monkeysphere dude. Explains everything. They just aren't human.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54357 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:44 am »

Ah, the Problem of Evil. I'll just say shouting "free will!" doesn't excuse evil existing, and leave it at that :P

And as for monkey spheres, those are good explanations of common human behavior, but hardly an excuse for common human behavior. Monkey spheres can be at least partially transcended. You can give a basic amount of empathy to every living person, even if you've never met them.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54358 on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:49 am »

Ah, the Problem of Evil. I'll just say shouting "free will!" doesn't excuse evil existing, and leave it at that :P

And as for monkey spheres, those are good explanations of common human behavior, but hardly an excuse for common human behavior. Monkey spheres can be at least partially transcended. You can give a basic amount of empathy to every living person, even if you've never met them.
You are beign a bit idealistic here. People can be very evil. Case-in-point: Armenians (yes, there is a more relevant Genocide. No I am not derailing the thread). The Armenians were mass killed by the Young-Turks, but they came to power blaming them. It was obvious to any involved what was going on, they admitted it to everyone, it still went on.

Second: Genghis khan. In Mongol Culture, The Horse was more important then man. People Lived entirely off of horses, eatign their meat, drinking their milk, wearing their leather, using them in their way of life. The Mongolian Honor ode refleacted this. When Genghis Khan Wiped Cities and towns of the map, he wanted (at least early on) Grazing room for his horses. He simply didn't care about the millions who were wiped off the face of the earth. He really didn't.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54359 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:17 am »

Which can adequately be explained with the monkey sphere thing. I'm not disagreeing with you there. I just quipped that monkey spheres do not excuse such behavior, so while it does explain, it does not justify.

I'm not sure we really disagree on anything regarding the monkey sphere thing.
Pages: 1 ... 3622 3623 [3624] 3625 3626 ... 8167