Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3581 3582 [3583] 3584 3585 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9467164 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53730 on: October 09, 2012, 11:31:00 pm »

If everyone had claws...
Hopefully they only grow in after age 10 or so. Toddlers would be way worse with claws.

Guh, de-clawing people?  My mind just has to think things to conclusions...

Oh shit, toddlers with claws. D: And declawing would only happen to like, crazy people and criminals... Criminals. Shit. >.<
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53731 on: October 09, 2012, 11:42:00 pm »

There was a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game for the SNES which was only released in Japan. It had an interesting concept; it measured your character's force of will which could be raised by succeeding in conversation, etc... The lower the will, the less effective your 'Stand' was.

Had rockin' great music too.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53732 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:04 pm »

If everyone had claws...
Hopefully they only grow in after age 10 or so. Toddlers would be way worse with claws.

Guh, de-clawing people?  My mind just has to think things to conclusions...

Oh shit, toddlers with claws. D: And declawing would only happen to like, crazy people and criminals... Criminals. Shit. >.<
I'd just like shapeshifting in general.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53733 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »

I think having your cat kill maybe two squirrels and a pigeon in some suburb isn't an environmental or moral catastrophe (HAW).

Doesn't matter, though, because our cat was found with a broken hip (in the wild, where he evilly killed small rodents and clearly didn't even eat them due to being evil, as evidenced by how skinny he was) and we don't let him outside unsupervised.

No, one cat killing a couple animals isn't. But outdoor cats usually kill at least twice a week, often more. When you have 30 or 40 cats in a suburb (not uncommon), that begins to add up.

It's estimated housecats kill about 4 billion birds in the US alone every single year, and they've contributed to putting several species on the endangered list or crippled their recovery. And birds aren't even the primary target for cats, making up a relatively small portion of their kill count (only 1 in 10). This is the same logic that says "It's fine for my to toss my trash out the window because a little trash isn't a big deal".

And no, of course cats aren't evil - likes sharks aren't evil. They simply have things they do. My brother has a cat, and I love the thing, but it's managed to escape twice, and killed several animals before he was recovered. If he was an outdoor cat, and didn't get bored, I think their neighborhood would be depopulated in a weak.

Quote from: SalmonGod
While it's a funny thing to joke about, cats really aren't sadistic or anything.
While cats aren't evil, I wouldn't go that far. In my experience, they will specifically seek out these experiences - that's not just a reaction. The (very few) studies that have been done seem to indicate they gain pleasure from the experience, judging by the chemicals in the brain. Not definitive, but pleasure IS one of the ways evolution reinforces instinct. (Look at sex)

It's certainly conceivably cats could be hardwired towards sadism in certain situations.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:16:34 am by GlyphGryph »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53734 on: October 10, 2012, 12:49:51 am »

Cats do absolutely have environmental consequences, that can get pretty extreme.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53735 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:32 am »

They wouldn't be cats if they didn't. I respect them for being able to cause them so easily. It proves they can survive.
Sig! Onol

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53736 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:28 am »

In a world of shape-shifters, would we all get angsty because we didn't have a true form? lol

I think I read the beginning of a book like that.
People lived forever and could look like anything so they got bored of everything.

Of course, that wouldn't actually happen. People really like being alive.
There would be angst though. Can't avoid that.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53737 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:13 am »

In a world of shape-shifters, would we all get angsty because we didn't have a true form? lol

People lived forever and could look like anything so they got bored of everything.

And that's what we have evil Tim Curry for! He's too charming to be angsty.
Sig! Onol

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53738 on: October 10, 2012, 01:17:41 am »

I looked him up and recognized his face. I will remember his name now.
That man has a nice voice. His face is evil looking. lol

OT: I have this really stupid fantasy of living with my family in the same house forever.
I know it won't happen but I still have it.

I've also got my PC future life fantasy in which I own two houses,
one on a mountain for art, and one by the ocean for art gallery.
That's the future I tell people.

Living with my family totally trumps that though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53739 on: October 10, 2012, 01:22:37 am »

And that's what we have evil Tim Curry for! He's too charming to be angsty.

Possibly, but then he'd just turn into a giant blue pressure suit with a smiley-face balloon for a head and then proceed to take over the world.

Well, I'm up early enough to get ready for class.  And I can't eat.  It'll be about four hours before I'll have a good opportunity to eat anything, but...  I can't.  Nothing seems even remotely edible right now.  So now I'm just trying to get warm before I head out.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53740 on: October 10, 2012, 01:49:53 am »

Quote from: SalmonGod
While it's a funny thing to joke about, cats really aren't sadistic or anything.
While cats aren't evil, I wouldn't go that far. In my experience, they will specifically seek out these experiences - that's not just a reaction. The (very few) studies that have been done seem to indicate they gain pleasure from the experience, judging by the chemicals in the brain. Not definitive, but pleasure IS one of the ways evolution reinforces instinct. (Look at sex)

It's certainly conceivably cats could be hardwired towards sadism in certain situations.

You know how people can get overwhelmingly happy sometimes, where the emotion is so strong it inexplicably becomes a sobbing fit? It's been proposed that stimulation in one emotional section of the brain bleeds over into the other... the part that triggers physical response for sorrow is physically close to the one that handles joy.

I've heard that, in cats, the part that handles happiness is right next to the part that prepares them for violence and killing. They'd be carnivorous hunters in the wild, so it makes sense that they're wired to be drawn to and enjoy the act immensely. However, when they're feeling exceptionally happy and loved, this might inspire them to inexplicably swat at you and run away, or roll on their back, latch onto your arm, and start trying to rake your veins open with their back claws.

So yeah, when they experience overwhelming happiness, it might literally get them in the mood for murder.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53741 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:27 am »

This just makes them cuter. The perfect predator..my mouth is watering now for some reason.
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53742 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13:19 am »

However, when they're feeling exceptionally happy and loved, this might inspire them to inexplicably swat at you and run away, or roll on their back, latch onto your arm, and start trying to rake your veins open with their back claws.

My cat was exactly like this.  It was awesome.  I miss her a lot.  I enjoyed playing rough with my cat.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53743 on: October 10, 2012, 02:14:11 am »

This thread has convinced me that cats are evil.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53744 on: October 10, 2012, 02:16:02 am »

This thread has convinced me that cats are evil.
Bah. Cats are above your petty morality.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 3581 3582 [3583] 3584 3585 ... 8167