Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3043 3044 [3045] 3046 3047 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447410 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45660 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »

I really need to do my taxes, but I want to play video games.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45661 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:50 pm »

Sure, I think he's a bit preachy, but I don't mind preachyness if what's being preached has the seeming of wisdom.
Don't act too girly or you'll be damned forever!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45662 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:12 pm »

I've read The problem of pain by him and was disappointed by the quality of his arguments.

He non-ironically says that the reason why earth isn't perfect is because omnipotent only covers things that are possible and he did the best he could, after saying charity is needed to be a good Christian. So if human beings can improve others condition and God can't that mean we're more powerful then God right?
Haven't read that particular work, but a core doctrine of Lewis's theology is that God either cannot interfere with free will, or refuses to do so. Because the bulk of pain in the world is caused by the abuse of free will, it's solution is beyond those limits.At least, that's the core of the argument he made in some of his other works.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45663 on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

I disagree with CS Lewis on many subjects and, while impressed by several of his arguments, it's only because I lack the eloquence and clarity to form similarly strong arguments, not because I can't see the flaws in them. Still, when I do agree with a particular thing he says, the way in which he says it often generates a strong sense of resonance for me; usually a, "Man, why didn't I think to say it that way before?" sort of sense. And it's easier to dismantle arguments than form them, which is why I occupy this interesting spot of "Yeah, this dude is pretty clever" and "But he's still unconvincing".

At least, as memory serves. It's been a while since I read the Screwtape Letters, which are admittedly the only thing by him on any vaguely philosophical topic that I can recall reading.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45664 on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »

We had to read "A grief observed" for a shitty subject, during university. I was notably un-impressed. Seriously, I don't see why christians advocate this guy as the reference for apologetic discourses.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:30:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45665 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »

Anyhow, I'm a bastard for trying to turn away the employment discrimination case for the ... mentally differently able... autistic... person who was fired illegally, probably. Or so went the sentiment for a while. I'm the grittiest of pragmatists you see and I tried to tell co worker to politely show them and their meritorious case to the door before she got that heart of hers on that sleeve attached to the lil scamp. I was too late. She took the case.... The admirable little fool.... Senses of pity are often kisses of death in the legal profession; didn't they remove your soul in law school along with any hope you had of living a decent life? Absent that day?

I tried to tell her the costs alone, before we ever saw a single dime, would eat the case alive. She's slowly figuring it out as the bills cometh in. There's the deposition costs for the court reporters. $1000/day for four days for the supervisors/managers, expert testimony for the doctor at about $3,000, then of course there's all the other shit. So now we're in the shit of litigation throwing around a lawsuit and there are costs coming out of the walls.... Try explaining to the client that they're on the hook for $8K - $10K before even paying our fee for people who don't work for us before we even bill a single cent. Yet without this, the case stands 0% chance of making it at all.

Dammit woman, you let your conscience get write checks your wallet can't cash, didn't ya? Balls.... Really? If you don't understand you're a mercenary, then you'll be a refugee soon enough.... Am I going to have to pull a rabbit out of my ass hat to pull your overly sentimental self outta this one? Hell, can I? I'm running out of hares here, and quite frankly I dunno how the hell to deal with this shit. All that "morality" hits the fan hard when the check comes due. I have no idea where she's gonna manage to find the money to prosecute this case. It ain't like legal aid is gonna touch this.

Point being: Is what happened to the kid wrong? Yups. Will going broke tilting at windmills fix it? Nopes. I didn't make this fucked up system; I just live in it. You slowly go numb to it after a while: I recommend the booze.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45666 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:34 pm »

I recommend the booze.
and cutting your legs at the kneecaps, reattaching your feet there, and never going onto the surface?

For the sake of my sanity pretending to have sanity, we're gonna say that's a Cotton Hill reference from King of the Hill.

Not my fault the legal system is screwed up. I've tried to fix it to the extent I can. Those court reporters and that doctor aren't gonna do this for free and nobody else is gonna pay them. My job description does not include going into debt to right society's wrongs and that wouldn't solve anything anyhow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:46:35 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #45667 on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »

I thought I would get at least a slight break from homework when the quarter ended but nooo-ooo-oooo I'm about to be up late working on stuff.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45668 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:48 pm »

solving something someone else fucked up is always harder than you think.

Story of my life, which other people refuse to hear. :) Not taking an ounce of blame for a system I didn't create or screw up. The whole world can go to hell if it doesn't wanna pay for Justice and wonders why there is none :D. Not my fault and I'm not going down in flames and in vain over it. I drink largely for other, equally screwed up reasons.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:57:00 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45669 on: April 10, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »

I would drink with you, Truean. We can tell horror stories of terrible customers and wear pirate hats.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45670 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:56 pm »

Haven't read that particular work, but a core doctrine of Lewis's theology is that God either cannot interfere with free will, or refuses to do so. Because the bulk of pain in the world is caused by the abuse of free will, it's solution is beyond those limits.At least, that's the core of the argument he made in some of his other works.

I remember that now... This is also an absurd point. If God can't interfere with free will he can't do anything, because being omniscient he would be willfully effecting every moment after his change, making either most of the bible false or his idea absurd. Just as a tiny little footnote the only reason I read C S Lewis's stuff was because my teacher told me I should read some of the stuff on the other side of the philosophical table. I took this as "Read some book explaining ideas you disprove of so you can destroy them in debate quicker."
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #45671 on: April 11, 2012, 01:11:22 am »

Blarg. I did my taxes after playing some video games.

Oh that reminds me, the IRS still owes me $1800 from last year.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45672 on: April 11, 2012, 01:39:41 am »

Laptop screen broke and so now I'm going to have to pull $200 out of my arse that I don't have to repair it so I can do my uni work...

It also means I shan't be able to go on these forums for a good week or so... Seeya till then. Perhaps longer...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45673 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:57 am »

Blarg. I did my taxes after playing some video games.

Oh that reminds me, the IRS still owes me $1800 from last year.

I'm proud of you.

Laptop screen broke and so now I'm going to have to pull $200 out of my arse that I don't have to repair it so I can do my uni work...

It also means I shan't be able to go on these forums for a good week or so... Seeya till then. Perhaps longer...

Do you have a desktop monitor? You can just use that in the meantime.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #45674 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:27 am »

After working on my raytracer for 9 hours straight, I'm still a week and a half behind where I should be. :(
Pages: 1 ... 3043 3044 [3045] 3046 3047 ... 8167