Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9495950 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26775 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:16 pm »

Problem is, a couple of those weapons wound up being used to kill a Border Patrol agent. Now you have Congress (and the Republicans have NEVER liked the ATF, since it regulates guns and the GOP can't fellate the NRA fast enough) asking why the hell the agency that is supposed to stop illegal arms trades allowed them, and wound up contributing to the death of a US agent?

Glugh. Congress is pissed, the Mexican government is pissed, the AG and President (who weren't in the loop) are pissed...

Here's the Official Soundtrack.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26776 on: April 06, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »

Or they could, y'know, do things they're actually capable of.  Like, exactly what they did.  But yeah, this is going to be ugly.

Meanwhile, in my pointless life.  My last three weeks were tied up in waiting for a response on a job that I quit yesterday, because it was stupid.  This puts me right back into where my life was three weeks ago - getting increasingly frustrated and hopeless with the soul-crushing and hideously inefficient process of looking for a real job.  By which I mean, poking around websites for a couple hours, giving up, and playing videogames until I go to my shitty nightjob.  Back to forcing myself to go to sleep before 8AM so I don't wake up in the middle of the afternoon.  Back to realizing I basically have no reason to put on real clothes until I go to work.  Back to having to answer to my family every day what the fuck I'm doing with my life, when nobody is more worried about it than I am, trapped inside my head all day every day.

Suffice to say I picked a Hell of a time to graduate.  Good going Aq, you managed to wring out a Bachelors of Nothing degree right as the economy went down the tubes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:27:37 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26777 on: April 06, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »

Or they could, y'know, do things they're actually capable of.  Like, exactly what they did.  But yeah, this is going to be ugly.

Meanwhile, in my pointless life.  My last three weeks were tied up in waiting for a response on a job that I quit yesterday, because it was stupid.  This puts me right back into where my life was three weeks ago - getting increasingly frustrated and hopeless with the soul-crushing and hideously inefficient process of looking for a real job.  By which I mean, poking around websites for a couple hours, giving up, and playing videogames until I go to my shitty nightjob.  Back to forcing myself to go to sleep before 8AM so I don't wake up in the middle of the afternoon.  Back to realizing I basically have no reason to put on real clothes until I go to work.  Back to having to answer to my family every day what the fuck I'm doing with my life, when nobody is more worried about it than I am, trapped inside my head all day every day.

Suffice to say I picked a Hell of a time to graduate.  Good going Aq, you managed to wring out a Bachelors of Nothing degree right as the economy went down the tubes.

Been there man. Know how you feel. 

I graduated with my first degree just in time for the post Y2K layoffs and no one was hiring anyone with less than a decade of experience at programming in languages less than 5 years old...

I ended up at Wal-mart for ~7 years, worked my way through another degree and managed to snag a real job in January '08. I was among the most recent hires at the company when the crash of September '08 came around and the value of the company I worked for could be measured in pennies instead of dollars.

From there I went to a company funded by venture capitalists for a year until the pay checks started bouncing.

Now I have been in what I thought was a stable job for a year and a half now and guess what? Government is fucking shutting down, and my development position is not actively supporting the ongoing war effort and isn't funded out of last years budget...

I spent the better part of ~7 years slaving away at a menial job like you are now. But at least when I was there, I could look forward to getting a second degree, or starting my career and making it. Now that I am in my career, all I have is stress and fear of what little I have disappearing suddenly beyond my control because the world is messed up and nothing is even remotely stable.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26778 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

That is the single worst plan I have ever heard. The ATF should have intercepted and sabatoaged the illegal arms in question, causing internal strife with the cartels.
And how exactly are they supposed to intercept the weapons, sabotage them, and then get them back to the "gun mules" to deliver without arousing suspicion?  ???

It wasn't a bad plan IMHO, and frankly it's the sort of sting operation that DEA and other agencies have run before. The difference being that allowing a few hundred kilos of coke or some tagged money isn't going to directly kill people. Allowing Barrett .50cal's through is going to kill some people but good. And in this case, probably Mexican Federal police. I do feel like maybe there was a bit of "Well, they'll be used to kill brown people, so it's not as bad". But the Bureau has a large Hispanic contingent, so I don't think racism is that big of a part. The biggest problem seems to be that it was intended to be a short-duration thing. And it wound up going 15 months because of red tape and a worry on the part of higher-ups that they might shut the trap too soon and potentially miss out on bigger fish.

ATF's budget was already looking at about a 20% reduction in the next budget. After this, and with the Tea Partiers waving their dicks in the House, hell...they'll probably call for it to be abolished entirely.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26779 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »

I feel sick, and now I feel depressed... God. Really really depressed.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26780 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:36 pm »

Had to work overtime and was too tired to read.
TV series were supposed to cheer me up, but the 4th season of Big Bang Theory frankly sucks. The new character seems forced and does not add anything to the show.
4 hours of freetime and I already wasted 3 of them...

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26781 on: April 06, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »

Absolutely no like minded people where I am. But's it's okay, I have my sock puppets.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26782 on: April 06, 2011, 05:05:17 pm »

Absolutely no like minded people where I am. But's it's okay, I have my sock puppets.
...Pathos. We meet... Wait, we never left. Or more like.. You never left.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26783 on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »

I hate inequalities.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26784 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

Yeah, they're like equations, but worse.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26785 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

...Pathos. We meet... Wait, we never left. Or more like.. You never left.

I'm not Pathos, at least last time I checked.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26786 on: April 06, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »

I just checked, and I can confirm that I am you, Pathos.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26787 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »

Well then hello, Pathos. Who the fuck is Pathos, anyways?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26788 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »

Who the fuck is Pathos, anyways?

Everyone.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26789 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

Me and my wife!
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 8168