Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1716 1717 [1718] 1719 1720 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435021 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25755 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:09 am »

[...]Plans and goals are for overachievers,[...]

I'm putting this in the sad thread because there isn't a "things that made you very disturbed today."

It was a dream I had.

So I was farting around in what looked to be my house, but it was bigger, and large enough to fit most of you guys in it. yes, you. It began playing Dwarf fortress (first DF dream, actually) and randomly talking with you guys. then i started looking around the house. while looking, I noticed something flashing an the air ventilation. it was a security camera. then, out of nowhere, Toady shows up asking why I'm messing with his security cameras.

Then I wake up.
 :o
The Dwarf Fortress forums has taken on a homely aspect for you, and you have the illusion that Toady and Threetoe can actually monitor everything, or are at least trying. Relative to moderators of other forums, they are quite invisible, and drawing undue attention to that particular task of theirs tends to make a mess. What made the dream so disturbing to you?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25756 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress forums has taken on a homely aspect for you, and you have the illusion that Toady and Threetoe can actually monitor everything, or are at least trying. Relative to moderators of other forums, they are quite invisible, and drawing undue attention to that particular task of theirs tends to make a mess. What made the dream so disturbing to you?

I think he's saying that he was dreaming that Bay 12 Forums' users were being cast in DF as the dwarves.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25757 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »

I can't remember how to do calculus.  Jegus.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25758 on: March 28, 2011, 01:41:05 pm »

I suppose so, since I don't see my accent and active vocabulary experiencing exponential betterment in the near future.
Just have to ditch my useless pride and fear of ridicule for once.
It's hopeless. My fear of speaking in public makes it impossible.
Maybe I'll pick this up again, once my spoken english is back to an acceptable level, even though I have no idea how it is supposed to get there.

This makes me sad, because it's another failure.
I could use some success once in a while...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25759 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »

I am speechless.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25760 on: March 28, 2011, 01:50:34 pm »

I suppose so, since I don't see my accent and active vocabulary experiencing exponential betterment in the near future.
Maybe I'll pick this up again, once my spoken english is back to an acceptable level, even though I have no idea how it is supposed to get there.

Have you considered English audiobooks?

I know that most of my high level vocabulary has come from reading, and hearing native speakers will help unravel the more obscure parts of English speech.

Also, you're talking about your Riveria LP, right? You could try screenshots and text, which might fit the game better anyway.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25761 on: March 28, 2011, 02:06:20 pm »

Have you considered English audiobooks?

I know that most of my high level vocabulary has come from reading, and hearing native speakers will help unravel the more obscure parts of English speech.

Also, you're talking about your Riveria LP, right? You could try screenshots and text, which might fit the game better anyway.
I've got perfect english and rich vocabulary stuck in my head. It's just the lack of practice, since you never get to use spoken english outside of school around here.
Most of it comes from TV-series and animes, which I tend to watch a lot.
Hell, I even was at an english competition for my school and won. And now after 6 months it's all down the drain, due to the lack of practice.

Yeah, it's Riviera, but I really hoped I could pratice that way. I just hadn't realized how bad I've become at it, after all this time.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #25762 on: March 28, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »

This...
This is actually unbelievably concerning to me...
Damnit Vector... Are you holding out alright?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #25763 on: March 28, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »

Not even basic derivative/integration of polynomials? That is the only part I remember how to stumble through.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25764 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:55 pm »

I've got perfect english and rich vocabulary stuck in my head. It's just the lack of practice, since you never get to use spoken english outside of school around here.
Most of it comes from TV-series and animes, which I tend to watch a lot.
Hell, I even was at an english competition for my school and won. And now after 6 months it's all down the drain, due to the lack of practice.

Yeah, it's Riviera, but I really hoped I could pratice that way. I just hadn't realized how bad I've become at it, after all this time.
Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to master a language without being able to converse in it. I'd still probably recommend audiobooks to even native speakers who wanted to improve though.

Maybe you can find someone to voicechat with?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25765 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »

Had an emotional explosion last night while trying to sleep.  Although it felt really really really good and relieving I started getting strange thoughts I didn't and still don't want to deny.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25766 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

Lack of Motivation.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25767 on: March 28, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

@Mindmaker: what is your main problem, specifically? Is it the pronounciation? The inability to conjure the vocabulary pieces fast enough for a fluent speech? A stress/mental block?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25768 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to master a language without being able to converse in it. I'd still probably recommend audiobooks to even native speakers who wanted to improve though.

Maybe you can find someone to voicechat with?

I found a group of people to voicechat with while paying online.
While this might be helping, I don't think I'll achieve what I'm hoping for that way.

@Mindmaker: what is your main problem, specifically? Is it the pronounciation? The inability to conjure the vocabulary pieces fast enough for a fluent speech? A stress/mental block?

The first two.
I know how things are supposed to sound, but I've simply gotten rusty and it won't work as well as before.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25769 on: March 28, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »

If it's not the mental block, then you can improve your English by exercising alone. You don't really need converastion partners, as they are unlikely to correct your mistakes. You just need to sit down with a good book about phonetics and another one concerning vocabulary exercises.
Pages: 1 ... 1716 1717 [1718] 1719 1720 ... 8167