Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430928 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14715 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:12 pm »

I'm so taking creative writing next semester.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »

My mouse has finally given out on me. D:

Related, if I cut open the cable near the usb plug, where it's apparently torn inside, solder the cable back together, and then wrap it in electrical tape, will it work again?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14717 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45:31 pm »

What do you have to lose by trying? It's already dead.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14718 on: October 17, 2010, 12:12:04 am »

What do you have to lose by trying? It's already dead.
Fire from improper insulation, some kind of inexplicable resonance that blows out my motherboard, who knows... Also now that I've opened up the cable, I find that there are five wires inside, four of which are insulated, and three of which are broken (two of the insulated ones by my bungling attempts to strip the insulation off, well, one of those, and the other by deliberate and misguided cutting because it looked broken...). I also find I have no electrical tape, only scotch and packing. I have no real clue what I'm doing beyond how to use a soldering iron, which I'm not even sure is the best course of action, but I really don't want to buy a new mouse. That's about the same as six packs of cheap cigarettes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14719 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27:09 am »

a soldering iron, which I'm not even sure is the best course of action,
Don't use a soldering iron, use a soldering station. With complicated ICs and such, a normal soldering iron will become far too hot and melt things which should not melt.

I'm so taking creative writing next semester.
I can't wait for my college's Spring quarter. My friends and I are all taking Amateur Filmography, so we can make movies for fun and credit.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14720 on: October 17, 2010, 12:37:26 am »

Hmm... Deciding to take the easy way out, I searched around and found my older, equally dead for the exact reason mouse, of the exact same model as this one (yeah, I bought the same model, because it lasted me three years before breaking from rough treatment (constantly getting folded and unfolded and stuffed in a backpack), both times). This time, I was more careful opening it up, and found, in the exact same place, a roughly one to two millimeter gap in the loose copper wire (which is about as much as the gap in the other one too...). I assume I could bridge this without the use of solder, and then wrap it all up in... Something, hopefully generic packing tape will be a good enough insulator. My options are a piece of (unmelted) solder, a piece of scrap silver wire, a piece of a needle, tin foil, possible copper wire if I can find any laying around, or possible some of the same wire from the other mouse. Any suggestions?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14721 on: October 17, 2010, 12:39:53 am »

I'd recommend finding some of the same gauge of wire and soldering that in. If you connect the pieces improperly you could get a short or worse, arcing, which could blow up random components. If you use tape, electrical tape is good because it will neither melt nor conduct electricity.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:36 am »

Hee, I want to take another creative writing course when I go back to school... but it's not worth the trip up to get the application form, so not next semester.

I'm actually not sure if it will be worth it, but I'm still thinking about it, to be sure.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14723 on: October 17, 2010, 12:51:38 am »

The break has been in the cable for a while, during which time the mouse would function if the cable were bent in just the right way (I've been putting off fixing/replacing the mouse for months now), so presumably twisting in more of the same wire to it wouldn't be noticeably different. I also don't really have the room in it to solder it together, as I assume the heat of that could burn through the other nearby wires, and the only solder-related tools I have on hand are a soldering iron and a pencil torch, both of which are too unwieldy. (And just buying a new mouse would be cheaper than buying any better tool, since it was just $18.)

The wire is also a bundle of small loose copper wires, rather than a solid piece, if that affects what I should do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:54:04 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14724 on: October 17, 2010, 12:54:19 am »

all the loose copper wires do is prevent quite as much induction, it should be fine if you twist in some wire really carefully. Don't leave any hanging out, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14725 on: October 17, 2010, 01:23:36 am »

Well, I bridged it as best I could, but it still doesn't register when plugged into a computer... I suppose there may be more problems hidden by insulation, or I just can't get it set right... :-\

Edit: I've discovered that simply mashing the two ends together, sans bridge attempt, works. Problem: that bends the rest of the wires off at a weird angle, and I can't exactly rig the damn thing up to stay like that... >:|

Rolling aluminum foil around the two ends also works, but also only if held at an odd angle...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:39:28 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14726 on: October 17, 2010, 02:17:01 am »

Well, I bridged it as best I could, but it still doesn't register when plugged into a computer... I suppose there may be more problems hidden by insulation, or I just can't get it set right... :-\

Edit: I've discovered that simply mashing the two ends together, sans bridge attempt, works. Problem: that bends the rest of the wires off at a weird angle, and I can't exactly rig the damn thing up to stay like that... >:|

Rolling aluminum foil around the two ends also works, but also only if held at an odd angle...

Why can't you just buy a ne- OH GOD WHAT AM I SAYING!?!? I'M TURING INTO ONE OF THEM!
QUICK, I NEED A 10,000 VOLT NEON SIGN TRANSFORMER AND TWO COPPER RODS
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14727 on: October 17, 2010, 02:35:14 am »

Because A) I don't want to spend $20 on a new mouse, and B) I want a working mouse now, instead of whenever I could get out to go to a store.

That said, I know what the problem is, just not how to fix it: though I may bridge the connection, the cable later twists, breaking it again, and I can't manage to secure it. Also, one side of the wire is becoming increasing thin and short, making it even harder to connect it in the first place... D:

So I need to both cut away more of the plug to get to that, and probably resort to trying to solder it together in the morning. :-\

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #14728 on: October 17, 2010, 02:42:13 am »

Not really sad, more like annoyed. I don't feel cold, but my body does, if that makes any sense. I like the cold, and I don't think it's cold, but my body insists on being cold (shivering and such) for some reason. It's not cold, dammit.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14729 on: October 17, 2010, 06:20:55 am »

Talked with a friend about writing stories.  When I said I was interested in writing character driven, literature fiction, he reminded me how little money is made with such things (like I haven't heard that before), and when I mentioned I have a big plot hole problem in a story I'm working on, he started on a tirade I couldn't understand for twenty minutes.  Then he finally got around to real life examples (Harry Potter and Twilight) and I understood he was just telling me to not make my story predictable.  Actually he was telling me that attempting to solve a plot hole makes a story predictable (or "linear" as he put it) and that my story could use some more unpredictability and CHAOS... which would make them exactly like his stories.  I'm going to nab a sample of his writing from my brother to see what on earth he was talking about.

Also, symbology.  Apparently symbolism is not the correct term.
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 8167