Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6635 6636 [6637] 6638 6639 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441791 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99540 on: December 06, 2015, 03:09:27 pm »

eyy just going to pop in to tell you all to take a moment and try to avoid letting this devolve into a flame war and thus bother the toad

not saying it is now, but like, this is a volatile topic and it could easily become one

in thread-related news, i havent been sleeping much or well these past few days and im kinda exhausted both physically and mentally which is fun

also fuck latin, memorization sucks

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99541 on: December 06, 2015, 03:11:30 pm »

eyy just going to pop in to tell you all to take a moment and try to avoid letting this devolve into a flame war and thus bother the toad

not saying it is now, but like, this is a volatile topic and it could easily become one

in thread-related news, i havent been sleeping much or well these past few days and im kinda exhausted both physically and mentally which is fun

also fuck latin, memorization sucks
Does this look flamey? I thought we were being pretty civilized. Though, it is a volatile topic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99542 on: December 06, 2015, 03:12:27 pm »

Article makes a bit more sense now that I know that Norway has a zero-tolerance policy towards "corporal punishment"... IE spanking and such.
Wow, that is really, really dumb.
Is Norway also the country renowned for its overly-cushy prisons? I mean, having comfortable prisons is obviously better than some horrible dungeon where prisoners are free to murder/assault each other, but if they teach people to misbehave from childhood it seems as though they want the majority of their population to be chilling in their prison system. :P

In my own sad: woke up, checked my bank balance and no, I have not yet been paid. So now I either have to struggle my way over to work (not an actual job, can't be bothered explaining right now) and fuck around there for eight hours (at least at first I got to leave an hour early, but as of last time that's apparently no longer the case) without coffee, or I have to call in sick and go tomorrow and Wednesday instead.

Now I am usually a skilled liar, but my supervisor has a thick accent and I'm not sure how good her English actually is.
It kinda ups the difficulty, lying to someone through a mild language barrier- also even if I used my best fake-sick voice I doubt she'd notice. Plus this whole job fills me with such apathy that I couldn't muster the energy to lie convincingly anyway. Not that it really matters, she probably wouldn't care, I mainly just feel extremely self conscious calling in sick to start with.

Also if I call in sick today, I basically have to go the next two days; no chance of taking them off even with a bigger reason not to- not that having no money to buy coffee isn't a good reason, mind, but it's not quite as bad as, I don't know, having two broken legs or a bad case of dysentery or being savaged by a telephone box full of rabid ferrets or whatever.
Maybe I can get away with just not showing up...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99543 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »

I disagree. Though it may not be written into law, media is pushing a general culture of hostility against Christians. You can talk shit and bash Christians all you want and nobody bats an eye (except the previously mentioned "fundies" and "conspiracy theorists"), but if you make fun of any other religion, you get shouted down, or charged with hate speech or some other phony charge. If you make fun of muslims, you get fired because nobody wants to be blown up or shot. If you make fun of some pagan religion or nature religion, you're a bigot who's persecuting natives. If you criticize an "eastern" religion, you're an unenlightened, close-minded bigot with bad vibes. If you criticize the Jews, the government will shut you down personally.
Well, that's fair enough. My own experience has been largely otherwise, so of course I'm coming to a different conclusion. I suppose I haven't got much else to say on the matter.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99544 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

Article makes a bit more sense now that I know that Norway has a zero-tolerance policy towards "corporal punishment"... IE spanking and such.
I would call it common sense. Kids learn nothing from getting hit, parents actually have to teach them how to behave, not just force them to not misbehave. Too often stupid parents just consider shouting "just do what you're told" loud enough to be good parenting.

Is Norway also the country renowned for its overly-cushy prisons? I mean, having comfortable prisons is obviously better than some horrible dungeon where prisoners are free to murder/assault each other, but if they teach people to misbehave from childhood it seems as though they want the majority of their population to be chilling in their prison system. :P
Considering the low rates of recidivism in rehabilitating systems most nordic countries use, it's actually really smart. And cost effective.
Treating prisoners like they are proper people and are expected to act like proper people actually helps them do so, who would have thought that! :P
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99545 on: December 06, 2015, 03:29:51 pm »

You can talk shit and bash Christians all you want and nobody bats an eye (except the previously mentioned "fundies" and "conspiracy theorists"), but if you make fun of any other religion, you get shouted down, or charged with hate speech or some other phony charge.
Are you having a giggle? Baiting muslims is hilariously easy and usually yields entertaining results.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99546 on: December 06, 2015, 03:34:08 pm »

I would call it common sense. Kids learn nothing from getting hit, parents actually have to teach them how to behave, not just force them to not misbehave. Too often stupid parents just consider shouting "just do what you're told" loud enough to be good parenting.
Er, no. If you have no consequences for misbehaving, why wouldn't you?
And the alternative to a simple, light smack for doing something bad- that is to say, psychological torture as you attempt to manipulate your child in to doing/being what/who you want- is far, far worse.

You can talk shit and bash Christians all you want and nobody bats an eye (except the previously mentioned "fundies" and "conspiracy theorists"), but if you make fun of any other religion, you get shouted down, or charged with hate speech or some other phony charge.
Are you having a giggle? Baiting muslims is hilariously easy and usually yields entertaining results.
I'm not sure where Lagslayer is from, but it's certainly as he described here in Australia.
Been thinking about that a bit lately. It's... kinda fucked up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99547 on: December 06, 2015, 03:48:00 pm »

Er, no. If you have no consequences for misbehaving, why wouldn't you?
And the alternative to a simple, light smack for doing something bad- that is to say, psychological torture as you attempt to manipulate your child in to doing/being what/who you want- is far, far worse.
Because I was thought not to?
Actual parenting, being present in kids life and teaching them how to behave, is as far from psychological torture and manipulating as you can get. What you are talking about sounds more like some of the bad parenting stories people here have  posted on this thread. I would not call that good parenting, and it's certainly not the only alternative.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99548 on: December 06, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

If you say so. Seems absurdly idealistic to me but this is probably not a good topic to continue on.
I'm too sad about my current lack of coffee to give a fuck about poor parenting anyway. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99549 on: December 06, 2015, 04:17:47 pm »

* Strange throws package of coffee at Yoink
Are you in prison or something? Having no coffee should be banned by geneva convention as torture.

I'm just shocked that anyone would consider mental equivalent of beating as an option to beating. Like being decent human being isn't an option anymore.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99550 on: December 06, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »

We're talking about children here. They don't understand the concept of "decent human being".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99551 on: December 06, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »

Can we stop shitting up the sad thread, please?

Some people might have actual sads to post instead of political debates.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #99552 on: December 06, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »

I don't see how other people posting could stop them.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99553 on: December 06, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »

My battery is acting up again. :c
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99554 on: December 06, 2015, 07:39:11 pm »

There's nothing to do. I'm bored.

There's things I need to do. There's things I should do. There's nothing that I want to do.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6635 6636 [6637] 6638 6639 ... 8167