Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9485509 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #8760 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:48 am »

Seriously bro I don't even think fighting is something on the menu of life, take those small fries and be happy with them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:40 am »

I think that at least half of what you are seeing is the group's fault.

TBH I don't like the mechanics of friends' groups too much, because they tend to adopt shapes very simmilar to what you are describing, with a bunch of alpha males who decide who is cool and who is not (interesting note: the worst of them tend to be cowardly and recoil if confronted with enough contundence), and the betas behind them, ganging up on the chosen victims.

Right, that was my thought--I think it's a combination of them and him, but I'm choosing to focus on him because of his tremendous assholery in other situations.  It seems a bit like they're looking the other way, more than that they're intentionally shutting me out.  The rest of them seem like genuinely nice people.

He's a coward, to be sure.  He's a coward who was bullied for years.  As a result, he learned how to stand his ground with the best of them and pretend he has no weaknesses.

I've confronted him over and over again, in the past, and it really got me nowhere.  No amount of rage, cajoling, sweet talk, or explanation will move him.  I can't actually prove he did this--he can say any number of things about my being too whiny, too needy, just not fun enough, whatever, and that will be "the reason why I'm out of the group."  Hell, my complaints while I was dating him turned into accusations that I was bipolar, overly sensitive, needy, and evil.

Well, that is human nature. Follow those you think are stronger than you. If you don't think they're stronger than you, boss them around.

Not mine.  I guess that's the problem.

Hug him.

He throws people who do that when he hasn't given them permission.  No, I'm not kidding.

To be more serious, just follow Aqizzar's advice and turn people whom you know don't approve of him against him. The best method here is to get all of his friends to outright ignore him, or else plan a social event without inviting him to it. Get his friends to not talk to him, etc. Try not to let it slip that they're intentionally doing so, just make it appear that they're drifting away from him.

They're his friends for a reason.  That would be the aforementioned power, money, charisma, charm, whatever.

To be honest, I just don't have it in me to invite everyone but him to some social event or whatever.  I also just don't have the ability to outshoot him, because unlike him I don't happen to own some massive number of computers and games for LAN parties.  I don't have parents with an enormous house and a lot of technical gadgets.  I am who I am, and they are who they are--and they're his friends.  Taking away his main social group is not only infeasible, it's cruel.

So no, I'm not going to take it away from him, just as he tried to take it away from me.  I'm going to get myself re-included, if at all possible.  Then I'm going to pity him, and after that I'm going to pity whatever poor sap he convinces to date him.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: August 01, 2010, 01:56:20 am »

Vector, you seem to have a knack for incensing people about things. For folks proposing violence, yeah it's fun to fantasize about, but it's not generally a practical real-world solution... nor a terribly ethical one.

Anyway, though it's probably not terribly helpful to hear, I do think you are giving him more power over your emotional state than it's worth. If I had better experience with what specifically is happening in the situation, or what's causing you to feel like you're getting caught up in a Mobius Double-Reacharound Mindscrew, I might be able to provide an unbiased outside opinion on what's going on, whether he knows what he's doing, etc. Barring that, all I can say is don't give it so much weight, confront mistruth with your friends directly and let them bring themselves to whatever realization they need to, and don't buy into whatever pettiness he may want to bring you into. you can recognize it, so harden yourself against it, and don't let it mess with your head.

As you talk about this guy, though, I'm a bit saddened by the fact that I used to be, and in some respects still can be, that person. I've got a reasonable amount of charisma, empathy, and brainsmarts, and when I get frustrated, I've used it to retaliate at people before. I've never gone out of my way to ruin someone's friendships or life, but I do generally know what to say/do to hurt people the worst, and when they try to retaliate, turn things around on them. I can be a fairly horrible, manipulative, and petty person when backed into a corner. It's not something I'm proud of, and I'm kinda feeling ill thinking about it.

Bleh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: August 01, 2010, 03:24:53 am »

I would say your best solution would be to cut off all contact with him, and attempt to recreate your circle of friends independently. It's also worth saying, and keep in mind that you have more knowledge of his actions than I in regards to this suggestion, that he may not even realize his actions are sociopathic. Indeed, if he does have a level of sociopathy, than not realizing his actions hurt others could be literal, in the sense that he knows what he does and who he hurts without equating his actions to reality.  He could rationalize it as a level of actions below what is truly real. Like I said, you will be able to tell if any of that is true far more than I.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: August 01, 2010, 03:31:55 am »

I think that at least half of what you are seeing is the group's fault.

TBH I don't like the mechanics of friends' groups too much, because they tend to adopt shapes very simmilar to what you are describing, with a bunch of alpha males who decide who is cool and who is not (interesting note: the worst of them tend to be cowardly and recoil if confronted with enough contundence), and the betas behind them, ganging up on the chosen victims.

Right, that was my thought--I think it's a combination of them and him, but I'm choosing to focus on him because of his tremendous assholery in other situations.  It seems a bit like they're looking the other way, more than that they're intentionally shutting me out.  The rest of them seem like genuinely nice people.

He's a coward, to be sure.  He's a coward who was bullied for years.  As a result, he learned how to stand his ground with the best of them and pretend he has no weaknesses.

I've confronted him over and over again, in the past, and it really got me nowhere.  No amount of rage, cajoling, sweet talk, or explanation will move him.  I can't actually prove he did this--he can say any number of things about my being too whiny, too needy, just not fun enough, whatever, and that will be "the reason why I'm out of the group."  Hell, my complaints while I was dating him turned into accusations that I was bipolar, overly sensitive, needy, and evil.

Well, that is human nature. Follow those you think are stronger than you. If you don't think they're stronger than you, boss them around.

Not mine.  I guess that's the problem.

Hug him.

He throws people who do that when he hasn't given them permission.  No, I'm not kidding.

To be more serious, just follow Aqizzar's advice and turn people whom you know don't approve of him against him. The best method here is to get all of his friends to outright ignore him, or else plan a social event without inviting him to it. Get his friends to not talk to him, etc. Try not to let it slip that they're intentionally doing so, just make it appear that they're drifting away from him.

They're his friends for a reason.  That would be the aforementioned power, money, charisma, charm, whatever.

To be honest, I just don't have it in me to invite everyone but him to some social event or whatever.  I also just don't have the ability to outshoot him, because unlike him I don't happen to own some massive number of computers and games for LAN parties.  I don't have parents with an enormous house and a lot of technical gadgets.  I am who I am, and they are who they are--and they're his friends.  Taking away his main social group is not only infeasible, it's cruel.

So no, I'm not going to take it away from him, just as he tried to take it away from me.  I'm going to get myself re-included, if at all possible.  Then I'm going to pity him, and after that I'm going to pity whatever poor sap he convinces to date him.
BEAT THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF HIM!

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: August 01, 2010, 03:32:48 am »

]BEAT THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF HIM!

Well he already mentioned the martial arts so that wouldn't work either.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: August 01, 2010, 03:38:49 am »

You do know it is possible for somebody who is very tough and knows how to fight to beat somebody who knows *insert exotic fighting thingy here*

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: August 01, 2010, 03:41:33 am »

You do know it is possible for somebody who is very tough and knows how to fight to beat somebody who knows *insert exotic fighting thingy here*

Possible, but doubtful. Besides, aikido is specifically meant to counter "tough and knows how to fight" people.

Also, why is confrontation a constant option here?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: August 01, 2010, 03:43:35 am »

Actually, I was suggesting something more like 笑里藏刀,not physical violence.

United Forenia Forever!

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: August 01, 2010, 03:45:54 am »

Also, why is confrontation a constant option here?

Because even philosophicals and intellectuals get their knickers in a jimmie when anime villains act like anime villains.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:37 am »

Actually, I was suggesting something more like 笑里藏刀,not physical violence.

Xiào​lǐ​cáng​dāo​?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: August 01, 2010, 03:47:07 am »

Did Vector ignore my suggestion or was there nothing to comment on?  Is non-violence not an option?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: August 01, 2010, 04:11:09 am »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: August 01, 2010, 04:13:38 am »

Vector, you seem to have a knack for incensing people about things.

I... I know ._.  I have an odd skill for making people want to believe whatever I'm saying or projecting at the time.  I don't do it intentionally, and I don't know how it works, but it's there.  Good for making people like or hate you, in any case.

Anyway, though it's probably not terribly helpful to hear, I do think you are giving him more power over your emotional state than it's worth. If I had better experience with what specifically is happening in the situation, or what's causing you to feel like you're getting caught up in a Mobius Double-Reacharound Mindscrew, I might be able to provide an unbiased outside opinion on what's going on, whether he knows what he's doing, etc. Barring that, all I can say is don't give it so much weight, confront mistruth with your friends directly and let them bring themselves to whatever realization they need to, and don't buy into whatever pettiness he may want to bring you into. you can recognize it, so harden yourself against it, and don't let it mess with your head.

Yeah, I know.  Don't worry, I'll be over the main body of my anger by tomorrow morning.  It's mostly that I really wanted to give him a second chance, because ... well, to be honest, for any number of reasons.  Because for a while, he assuaged that old feeling I've had of being completely alone in the world.  Because, despite his difficult nature, he was also kinder to me than a good many people have ever been.  Because I feel bad for him, since I can recognize something of myself in him.

In some way, I feel deprived of the privilege of complete forgiveness.  As a naive and childish person, I want to forget everything and just have a good time out in the sunshine.  I want it to be over with, with no need for this feeling of guardedness.  I wish I could just be kind, without seeing the threads he's trying to weave me in.  I wish that rather than begging for my respect, he could feel free to just be himself and slowly earn it.  I give it weight because I wanted to be able to help, somehow.  I was hoping that through contact with a candid and open person, he might learn gentleness.  I don't want to be another woman stomping out of his life as he rationalizes the disappearance away.

He taught me a good many lessons, both positive and negative.  I learned more than I ever wanted to know about trusting people, and I would have liked to have been equally helpful.  If he keeps this up, he's going to be miserable later.  I wish I knew how to stop it, how to protect him from himself, something--because curse me, but I can't help loving every person I meet.  I don't want to abandon the poor bastard, but I don't want to enable him either.

As for why I feel like I'm being mindscrewed... well, it's like this.  He's all into game theory and mechanism design theory--i.e., the mathematics of social manipulation.  I know this guy, and I know what his profile of me is.  I showed him some fake buttons and he's been pushing them pretty hard.

The other thing is that if I were trying to make someone need me and be beholden to me, I'd do exactly what he's doing.  I'd be supportive with one hand and undermining with the other.  I'd promise "rewards" and give them only rarely, just like in the Skinner psychological experiments.  I'd take away other sources of social contact and generally look like the nicest, sweetest guy on the block, except for the parts where I wasn't--so the girl in question would feel needy.  She'd seek me out.  She'd lean on me, she'd want me, and she'd feel like I was the best thing around (especially because I'd always be showing off my best manly attributes and putting down any contenders).  I'd compliment her, get her going, and then I'd ignore her for a while, until she was hungry and attached.  Keep the cycle going until she's dependent again and willing to do whatever I want in exchange for attention when I feel like giving it.

I'd invite her to some of my parties, and I'd always let her know about the things I'm not inviting her to.  Because I already know she's a lonely, unhappy, unbalanced person, and a person who has a sort of pathological faith in humanity, I'd know I had her bagged from the very beginning.  She'd be eating out of my hand.

Fortunately, if that's what he's thinking, he's wrong.

It's also worth saying, and keep in mind that you have more knowledge of his actions than I in regards to this suggestion, that he may not even realize his actions are sociopathic. Indeed, if he does have a level of sociopathy, than not realizing his actions hurt others could be literal, in the sense that he knows what he does and who he hurts without equating his actions to reality.  He could rationalize it as a level of actions below what is truly real. Like I said, you will be able to tell if any of that is true far more than I.

No, I don't think he realizes it.  As I said in some other wall of text, he sees other people as minions--his to hurt or manipulate, because they simply aren't as good as he is.  He doesn't understand why this isn't okay, or why his intelligence doesn't give his life more worth than that of other human beings.  In general, I think it's that he has a thing he wants and hurting people to get it doesn't really bother him, as long as he's happy.  This is especially true when it comes to negligence and inaction.

Did Vector ignore my suggestion or was there nothing to comment on?  Is non-violence not an option?

Nothing to comment on... there's no way I'm going to beat this guy up >_>

BEAT THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF HIM!

"Very tough and knows how to fight."  Uh-huh.  I'm a 110-lb, 5'3" girl--and a colossal math nerd, at that.  Not exactly what you call tops in toughness or fighting.

He'd throw me, pin me, and make it impossible for me to move without breaking my own arms in seconds flat.

*bzzzzt*

Next contender, please >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: August 01, 2010, 04:27:00 am »

Good.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 8167