Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7433 7434 [7435] 7436 7437 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9505123 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111510 on: August 31, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »

There's gas shortages and gas runs at all the local gas stations, and gas prices spiked 40 cents overnight. Thanks Hurricane Harvey.

It's surreal to be driving by and see gas station car lots packed full to the brim with cars and lines spilling out into streets.

Never realized how much I took for granted the easy accessibility and supply of gasoline until there's risk of not being able to get any, and not being able to drive anywhere or go to work or even get food. Scary realization.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111511 on: August 31, 2017, 10:23:44 pm »

It's surreal to be driving by and see gas station car lots packed full to the brim with cars and lines spilling out into streets.
And then there is just me here in Wisconsin, not seeing that

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #111512 on: September 01, 2017, 05:26:01 am »

And then there is just me here in Wisconsin, not seeing that
Makes sense considering you're not in Texas m8.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111513 on: September 01, 2017, 12:54:20 pm »

I mean... to be fair, if anything would be a good idea to have some way of connecting to the net on the fly, something like pacemakers would be it? Probably not always on, maybe not even allow for reception, but being able to set to screeching over the internet (and everything else, really) when a mechanical failure happens or the user's pulse flatlines is, like. Helpful?

That sort of medical junk is one of the primary candidates for always on, always connected. The abuses are indeed there and potentially substantial, but your doctor being able to keep actual 24/7 real-time monitoring (automated, if nothing else) on at-risk patients has a ridiculous potential to save lives.
I think having a secondary sensor that doesn't actually talk to the, you know, maker of paces is probably what should be connected. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111514 on: September 01, 2017, 03:41:56 pm »

Spent a whole year nursing a pitcher plant into vibrant life. This pitcher really hated the climate, wanted to die, I had to put in so much daily work just to keep this plant alive - building rainwater collection systems (because it could take no other water without dying), creating low-quality soil (because an minerals would cause it to die) and building it some suspension and shading which would keep it well-lit (as darkness killed it) without being in the direct sun (which would kill it). Kept it alive all the way through its dormancy phase, tending to it every single day, keeping it perfectly watered, protected, pruned and fed, managing its water reserves through all weather, and finally it got to the point where it was so large that it needed repotting. It was thriving!
Crazy thing about it was how such a thing as caring for a plant that wanted to die had such an effect on me. Because it required such daily care and management I started getting into a routine. My sleep started returning back to a normal schedule, I started focusing on my own work and progress with an eagerness I had forgotten, even in my most exhausted, anxious or hopeless days wherein I questioned why I should bother waking up I knew I still had to just to keep that plant alive. It got me through the year! :P

Now going on holiday means leaving the plant to a carer, and every time I've left it to family or a friend to care for it, it's always emerged damaged or with much of it dying or with loads of water wasted, but I never minded since the plant is admittedly a difficult one to tend to. As long as it got through alive I considered it a success to be thankful for, and any imbalances caused I could reverse in time. This one was painful though. I left it in the care of someone who was an experienced gardener, I suppose the first warning sign was that we had a conflict of opinion on how the plant should be cared for. She said it was a tropical plant that needed more sunlight to grow pitchers, I said it was a temperate plant that was just in its dormancy phase and that direct sunlight would kill it. After multiple 2 weeks of her insisting that it was a tropical plant and that she had more years of gardening experience than I therefore she was right, she promised she would not put the plant in direct sunlight.

5 days into my holiday in Malaysia she tells me she got someone to move it into the outdoors under the direct gaze of the summer sun during a heatwave. After I got a fucking heart attack and was absolutely livid they did the exact opposite of what they promised she said the next day she'd send a photo to prove the plant was all right. When no photo was sent I knew something was wrong. Three days later she sends a video showing my plant was fine, I now know that video was by then at least a week old. Finally I got my plant back and the sheer scale of the damage is nearly irrecoverable. A single leaf is in a condition I could describe as acceptable, it's only slightly dehydrated and scarred, where the others are burnt or snail-eaten. One of the buds I suspect was cut off with shears in order to stop more shoots sprouting, but I can't prove it to be sure.

They got angry at me for being upset over what was <just a plant>. They won't tell me why they ignored me and put my plant in the sun either, but I suspect they took it as a matter of pride that they knew the plant better than I did and just had to prove it :/
Looking over it further I found where someone had cut off one of the leaves with scissors and of all things, I pulled out a weed to find that it was in fact a potato growing in the pot. I don't understand just how badly they fucked up my plant this much, or how they did it.
Honestly if my plant had been killed by accident I would be accepting of it, but this greenery which did much for me was offed for such stupid nothingness, all my effort wasted... I mean, I suppose I could try and see if revival is possible, and I'm gonna start growing the surprise potatoling in its own pot, but it still gets me down. It's like samsara

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #111515 on: September 01, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »

I come back from a hiatus and see that somebody broke my gender thread. I guess I shouldn't have left it unattended, because now it is dead.

Huh. Why do I keep thinking of threads as pets?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111516 on: September 01, 2017, 05:56:34 pm »

Sorry for your thread. I guess pets and threads are similar in that if you don't pay them attention they die

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #111517 on: September 01, 2017, 06:00:55 pm »

And I can get into arguments with them, but it never quite seems that fruitful. Wait, that probably applies to arguments in general.

Sorry for your plant. That seems more like a pet than my thread, anyway, and it had quite an influence on your life as well as sentimental value.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111518 on: September 01, 2017, 06:11:21 pm »

Thanks, I've gotten over it relatively quickly. The surprise potato cheered me up, like finding a ruby in the ashes of your home which you had insurance for after it got burned down by Nvidia salesmen
Also like threads in that regard. Pets don't start flame wars nearly as much as threads

But what about pet threads?!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #111519 on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:41 pm »

Thanks, I've gotten over it relatively quickly. The surprise potato cheered me up, like finding a ruby in the ashes of your home which you had insurance for after it got burned down by Nvidia salesmen
Also like threads in that regard. Pets don't start flame wars nearly as much as threads

But what about pet threads?!!
Hail the Great Potato! https://youtu.be/XfufvCwXNc4
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111520 on: September 01, 2017, 06:30:20 pm »

Wow. I think that was the first non-ironic post I've seen LW make in a while, and it's a genuinely touching one as well.

Sorry for your loss, man. Take good care of that potato - as it says in the Good Book:

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—

A time to give birth and a time to die;
            A time to plant [potatoes] and a time to uproot what is planted [i.e. potatoes]."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #111521 on: September 01, 2017, 08:28:43 pm »

1. Take care of the potato.

2. When potato is ready, harvest potato.

3. Throw potato through window of horticultural narcissist.

4. ?

5. You won't profit, or feel better, but you know it's the right thing to do.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111522 on: September 02, 2017, 11:06:24 am »

4. ?

To avoid property damage you could just put it in their glove box with a note.

They'll find it eventually.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111523 on: September 02, 2017, 11:20:45 am »

4. ?

To avoid property damage you could just put it in their glove box with a note.

They'll find it eventually.

As someone who deals with rotten potatoes daily, I feel confident stating that this is both an epic method of vengeance and a horribly evil thing to do.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111524 on: September 02, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »

Please make sure that surprise potato is an actual potato and not an elaborate attempt to murder you by way of Deadly Nightshade if you plan on eating it, though.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7433 7434 [7435] 7436 7437 ... 8168