Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7322 7323 [7324] 7325 7326 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477914 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109845 on: January 08, 2017, 12:08:54 am »

Truean says a lot of stuff on here that, if it were ever be connected to her in real life, could be devastating to her career and general well-being. Also, she's a lawyer, which means she knows how damaging this kind of stuff can be.

As long as nobody quotes her, she can, if need be, remove any evidence of what she said here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109846 on: January 08, 2017, 05:03:52 am »

If someone finds it and confronts her with it, they'll very likely have already saved it or printed it out, so it might be a bit late at that point to try to delete it all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109847 on: January 08, 2017, 05:07:01 am »

Plus, Bay12forum's robots.txt keeps it from being auto-archived by the Wayback Machine and similar.
Sadly, it doesn't work against more malicious spiders. Robots.txt is the equivalent of a polite note taped to an unlocked door; it only stops those who obey it. One still shouldn't quote people who specifically ask for it, though, if only for the sake of politeness and making it slightly harder to get exploitable information on the person.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109848 on: January 08, 2017, 05:32:31 am »

If someone finds it and confronts her with it, they'll very likely have already saved it or printed it out, so it might be a bit late at that point to try to delete it all.

This is the main reason why I find the 'do not quote' rule pointless. I do respect this demand (mainly by not engaging into long discussions with said people in the first place, as these are very hard to manage without quotes),  but I fail to see the point. I mean, if you are really worried about a trace from this forum, the best way to go about that is to avoid disclosing sensitive info in the first place.  Same applies to social media; you shouldnt post anything you ddont want to get confronted with. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109849 on: January 08, 2017, 05:43:07 am »

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on that, ChairmanPoo.

Back on the subject of technology and whether it has made modern politics worse, let's do a quick comparison of the Watergate break-in to the 2016 hacks of the DNC and Podesta's email:

Watergate, where the Committee to Re-elect the President broke into the DNC twice, and was caught the second time, leading eventually to the fall of Nixon and a bunch of people close to him:
Two phones inside the offices of the DNC headquarters were said to have been wiretapped.[19] One was the phone of Robert Spencer Oliver, who at the time was working as the executive director of the Association of State Democratic Chairmen, and the other was the phone of DNC secretary Larry O'Brien.[20] The FBI found no evidence that O'Brien's phone was bugged.[21] However, it was determined that an effective listening device had been installed in Oliver's phone.[22]
Despite the success in installing the listening devices, the Committee agents soon determined that they needed to be repaired.[22] They planned a second "burglary" in order to take care of this.[22]
Shortly after midnight on June 17, 1972, Frank Wills, a security guard at the Watergate Complex, noticed tape covering the latches on some of the doors in the complex leading from the underground parking garage to several offices (allowing the doors to close but remain unlocked). He removed the tape, and thought nothing of it. He returned an hour later and, having discovered that someone had retaped the locks, Wills called the police. Five men were discovered inside the DNC office and arrested.[17] They were Virgilio González, Bernard Barker, James McCord, Eugenio Martínez, and Frank Sturgis, who were charged with attempted burglary and attempted interception of telephone and other communications. On September 15, a grand jury indicted them, as well as Hunt and Liddy,[23] for conspiracy, burglary, and violation of federal wiretapping laws. The five burglars who broke into the office were tried by a jury, Judge John Sirica officiating, and were convicted on January 30, 1973.[24]

Had they been successful, they would have recorded future conversations on the tapped phones. When breaking in, they could also have photographed documents. They were, of course, caught because they were physically present.

Compare that to the hacking of the DNC and John Podesta's email in the 2016 election:
On December 9, 2016, the CIA told U.S. legislators the U.S. Intelligence Community concluded Russia conducted the cyberattacks and other operations during the 2016 U.S. election to assist Donald Trump in winning the presidency.[6] Multiple U.S. intelligence agencies concluded that specific individuals tied to the Russian government provided WikiLeaks with the stolen emails from the DNC, as well as stolen emails from Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, who was also the target of a cyberattack.[6] These intelligence organizations additionally concluded Russia hacked the Republican National Committee (R.N.C.) as well as the D.N.C. — and chose not to leak information obtained from the R.N.C.[7]

Another nation-state, on the other side of the world, breaks in electronically, to steal past communications, and catch future ones as well, in order to leak them to damage one party's chances in the election, to elect a candidate preferred by that nation-state. There is no chance of their operatives being captured, arrested, or sent to prison because they likely never even had to leave Russia.

They are similar, in ways, but they are also different. In both cases someone is trying to acquire intelligence on an "enemy," in order to use it against them in some way. But it's far easier to do now, far harder to detect and defend against, doesn't require the attacker to actually be where they're attacking, and they can likely grab a whole lot more information, a whole lot more easily. They can also more easily access all past communications as well, whereas that was impossible with wiretapping - digital communications like email and text messages have a tendency to be recorded and stick around in case you want to refresh your memory. Phone conversations and in-person conversations aren't like that. Of course you can use software that Mission Impossibles your messages, like snapchat (I have not used snapchat personally), if you trust that it's actually deleted on the servers.

Certainly Watergate proves that this sort of thing happened before, but you can also see how advancing technology has resulted in a quantum leap in the effectiveness of attackers who want to steal information from other organizations. Technology has made this problem worse.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #109850 on: January 08, 2017, 01:02:06 pm »

It seems that this universe hates my eyes. There's no day in my life where I don't get dust or eyebrow in my eye(s), it's like a running gag.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109851 on: January 08, 2017, 02:03:30 pm »

It seems that this universe hates my eyes. There's no day in my life where I don't get dust or eyebrow in my eye(s), it's like a running gag.
There was a phase in my life where that could be accurate to me, now not so much. Before however I was plagued with many bizarre occurrences that all ended with the injury of my eye, ranging from people accidentally striking it, opening doors into it, flying missiles and one particularly ridiculous case where someone let go of a rope and it swung across a room and into my eye

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109852 on: January 08, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »

My parents are upset because my siblings are jerks. Of course I am the one who gets yelled at.

Also, Truean may be gone and used to help me out with games and stuff. Shit. Hopefully she'll respond to a PM.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109853 on: January 09, 2017, 04:15:20 am »

So I had an interesting night out Uber'ing.  Posting in the sad thread, because I'm not sure where it really fits.  Probably more WTF material, really...

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DF_Silvestre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109854 on: January 09, 2017, 06:12:33 am »

There should be a separate thread for that stuff. It's actually pretty weird/wtf-y. Assuming that actually happened to you.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109855 on: January 09, 2017, 06:35:40 am »

There should be a separate thread for that stuff. It's actually pretty weird/wtf-y. Assuming that actually happened to you.
It's called the WTF thread.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109856 on: January 09, 2017, 07:04:05 am »

Also, Truean may be gone and used to help me out with games and stuff. Shit. Hopefully she'll respond to a PM.
She's still there :P (she sent a nice PM to me, I'm sending a PM back)
Stuff can appear tense though :O It'll be nice if folks didn't nitpick her statements at times. (regardless of her tone, send a polite response instead) Even if it's political in tone or impression, the theme is listening and mutual speaking; her goal (moreso towards discussion rather than declamation or anything otherwise) Most times, it's best to respond in a way you'd like to be responded to too. What I could get is that if there was anything anyone has curious about her--make it personal than making it public.

Like talking/asking about why not to be quoted rather than dissecting it. o_O (Yep, it was done, but still :P It may broach context unspoken unless better asked first)

...What's "a" Greg? Isn't that a proper noun/name? ._. I think I'm missing slang. (Online searching doesn't help much...but I think it's a localized term since I heard something like that before)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109857 on: January 09, 2017, 07:54:31 am »

"I encountered a Mister Johnson." is equivalent to "I encountered a person by the name of Mister Johnson."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109858 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:54 am »

The guy's name was Greg.  The girl's name was Ashley.  The grumpy old man's name was Mickey.  No slang.  I didn't use the other two's names throughout the story, because I didn't learn them until near the end of the whole ordeal.  They were just a girl and a grumpy old man to me through most of the night.  Keeping that aspect of the story helped emphasize how barely involved and clueless I was about the whole situation, yet having to make a decisions about what I was going to do with these two.

And yeah, it really happened.  Wrote up the story as soon as I got home, before I could forget it all.  I chose the sad thread, because of the sense of uncertainty it left me with about how I'd handled the whole thing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109859 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:24 pm »

I really want to stop being compulsively late to things.  Maybe if I go to more things more often, I'll figure out how to break the habit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7322 7323 [7324] 7325 7326 ... 8167