Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7321 7322 [7323] 7324 7325 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9480117 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109830 on: January 07, 2017, 02:26:14 pm »

E: Edited to remove a bunch of quotes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:52:44 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109831 on: January 07, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »

E: Quotes again. Forgot this one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:42:47 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #109832 on: January 07, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »

However, you're right about the "constructive" thing...except that for a certain definition of constructive, a lot of people never did anything constructive before - never produced anything, for example - and that never stopped them from existing and enjoying their lives. Look at lawyers, for one.

You're so clever with your ad hominem. How lovely. I don't care.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109833 on: January 07, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »

However, you're right about the "constructive" thing...except that for a certain definition of constructive, a lot of people never did anything constructive before - never produced anything, for example - and that never stopped them from existing and enjoying their lives. Look at lawyers, for one.

You're so clever with your ad hominem. How lovely. I don't care.
Eh? Never meant it as one. I do not define "constructive" as "producing objects". I only meant to point out how "constructiveness" is kinda vague.
I'm... sorry about that, I guess? I couldn't resist taking a jab with my argument; I never meant that your opinion is somehow invalid because you're a lawyer, though. Sorry.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109834 on: January 07, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »

I think he thinks you were talking about him, personally. He's a lawyer, or attorney, I'm not clear on the difference.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109835 on: January 07, 2017, 02:59:05 pm »

I think he thinks you were talking about him, personally. He's a lawyer, or attorney, I'm not clear on the difference.
I kind of was, though. I never meant to imply that I think Truean is not constructive or useful or whatever - just that there are definitions of constructiveness from which even they are not.
It was kinda sketchy to do, in retrospect. I regret doing it, for what it's worth.
I try to avoid getting into internet arguments out of fear that I will be another asshole arguing on the internet... and then I do get into them and it turns out that yeah, I absolutely am another asshole arguing on the internet. That's gotta be something about the format... yeah. Let's go with that. Something's wrong with the format and not me at all.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109836 on: January 07, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »

Trying to read the new posts here is weird and confusing since Truean appears to have burned her posts down to the ground.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109837 on: January 07, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »

truean does not want posts to be quoted in the first place, actually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #109838 on: January 07, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »

Also, her.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109839 on: January 07, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »

...Well, shit. I really should start reading people's sigs or whatever.
I'll go remove the quotes, I guess.

E: What is the deal with being quoted, though?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:56:17 pm by Avis-Mergulus »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109840 on: January 07, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »

I wouldn't say that it's making everything better--heck, it's made some things a lot worse, like modern politics, for example--but on the whole, it's benefits have far outweighed the downsides, and that won't change anytime soon.

I don't think technology has made modern politics worse. Anything that is bad nowadays was already bad beforehand - - - and likely worse than today.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109841 on: January 07, 2017, 06:01:26 pm »

...Well, shit. I really should start reading people's sigs or whatever.
I'll go remove the quotes, I guess.

E: What is the deal with being quoted, though?

Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK: Truean has a life outside of the Bay12Forums. If somebody finds Truean's account, they can read what Truean has written here. In case that happens, Truean wants to be able to delete their posts, removing all trace of their personal information or stuff they wouldn't want an employer/doxxer/whatever to read. Normally, this is possible, since you can edit your post and replace it with "." or something similar. But if your post was quoted, you are unable to edit the other forumite's post; the information is therefore in that person's control. If the forumite is still active, it may be possible to contact them and ask them to delete the quote, but otherwise you'd need to request that Toady delete the quote. And Truean probably just wants to avoid all of that trouble by not having anybody quote them.

It's fine to include something like

[quote author=ChairmanPoo link=topic=43236.msg7319094#msg7319094 date=1483826280]
[/quote]

which would show as

But don't include the actual text of the post.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109842 on: January 07, 2017, 06:04:15 pm »

Plus, Bay12forum's robots.txt keeps it from being auto-archived by the Wayback Machine and similar.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109843 on: January 07, 2017, 07:52:25 pm »

I wouldn't say that it's making everything better--heck, it's made some things a lot worse, like modern politics, for example--but on the whole, it's benefits have far outweighed the downsides, and that won't change anytime soon.

I don't think technology has made modern politics worse. Anything that is bad nowadays was already bad beforehand - - - and likely worse than today.

On the morning of May 18, 2014, Violeta Lagunes was perplexed by a series of strange messages that appeared in her Gmail inbox. It was Election Day to choose the leadership of Mexico’s right-wing Partido Acción Nacional, or PAN, and Lagunes, a former federal congresswoman, was holding a strategy meeting in her office in Puebla city. The emails seemed harmless, at least at first. One appeared to come from the account of a trusted colleague. It asked her to download and review a document. Lagunes clicked on the link, but it seemed to be broken, so she wrote back to her colleague and asked him to send it again. Elsewhere in her inbox was an email from Google warning her that someone had tried to log in to her account. Meanwhile, she began to receive phone calls from PAN allies, who claimed that they had received emails from Lagunes’s account that she did not remember sending.

Now Lagunes was worried. Around 1 o’clock, she called the colleague who appeared to have emailed her. She reached him at a restaurant, where he was finishing lunch with other campaign allies. “I did not send you an email,” he insisted. A consultant with the campaign — who asked to remain anonymous in order to preserve his relationships with other candidates — overheard the conversation. He knew of other campaign workers who had been receiving similar messages: emails with vague subject lines, asking the recipient to review a document or click a link. The campaign, he realized, had been hacked.

After Lagunes’s call on Election Day, her colleagues rushed from the restaurant back to their local headquarters, a hotel conference room that they had nicknamed “the bunker.” All morning, they had been trying to reach their field network, a group of 40 Cordero canvassers who were working to get out the vote in Puebla state. But the field network seemed to have gone dark. Few of the canvassers were even answering their phones. Hackers, the team concluded, must have found the list of the canvassers’ names and phone numbers — widely circulated by email within the campaign — and begun to intimidate them.

“The day before,” the consultant told me, the field network was “motivated and eager to do this work. After the hack, it was very hard to reach them. The few who did answer said that they had received phone calls saying that their lives were at stake. They were worried that if they went out, they or their families would get hurt.”

According to another worker on Cordero’s campaign, who also requested anonymity, citing fear of reprisal, the message to the canvassers was simple and direct: “We know who you are. If you don’t want any trouble, shut down your cellphone and stop your activity.” The worker added: “It’s an authoritarian regime.”
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109844 on: January 07, 2017, 07:57:36 pm »

On the morning of May 18, 2014, Violeta Lagunes was perplexed by a series of strange messages that appeared in her Gmail inbox. It was Election Day to choose the leadership of Mexico’s right-wing Partido Acción Nacional, or PAN, and Lagunes, a former federal congresswoman, was holding a strategy meeting in her office in Puebla city. The emails seemed harmless, at least at first. One appeared to come from the account of a trusted colleague. It asked her to download and review a document. Lagunes clicked on the link, but it seemed to be broken, so she wrote back to her colleague and asked him to send it again. Elsewhere in her inbox was an email from Google warning her that someone had tried to log in to her account. Meanwhile, she began to receive phone calls from PAN allies, who claimed that they had received emails from Lagunes’s account that she did not remember sending.

Now Lagunes was worried. Around 1 o’clock, she called the colleague who appeared to have emailed her. She reached him at a restaurant, where he was finishing lunch with other campaign allies. “I did not send you an email,” he insisted. A consultant with the campaign — who asked to remain anonymous in order to preserve his relationships with other candidates — overheard the conversation. He knew of other campaign workers who had been receiving similar messages: emails with vague subject lines, asking the recipient to review a document or click a link. The campaign, he realized, had been hacked.

After Lagunes’s call on Election Day, her colleagues rushed from the restaurant back to their local headquarters, a hotel conference room that they had nicknamed “the bunker.” All morning, they had been trying to reach their field network, a group of 40 Cordero canvassers who were working to get out the vote in Puebla state. But the field network seemed to have gone dark. Few of the canvassers were even answering their phones. Hackers, the team concluded, must have found the list of the canvassers’ names and phone numbers — widely circulated by email within the campaign — and begun to intimidate them.

“The day before,” the consultant told me, the field network was “motivated and eager to do this work. After the hack, it was very hard to reach them. The few who did answer said that they had received phone calls saying that their lives were at stake. They were worried that if they went out, they or their families would get hurt.”

According to another worker on Cordero’s campaign, who also requested anonymity, citing fear of reprisal, the message to the canvassers was simple and direct: “We know who you are. If you don’t want any trouble, shut down your cellphone and stop your activity.” The worker added: “It’s an authoritarian regime.”

LOL, and you think that sort of thing didnt happen before?  You're blaming technology for an ages-old problem
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7321 7322 [7323] 7324 7325 ... 8167