Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7292 7293 [7294] 7295 7296 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9485622 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109395 on: December 02, 2016, 10:55:45 pm »

Birthdays make me sad. Makes me feel lonely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109396 on: December 02, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »

Bethesda just sent a cease and desist letter against DoomRL.

WTF
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109397 on: December 02, 2016, 11:22:45 pm »

Bethesda just sent a cease and desist letter against DoomRL.

WTF

Seriously.  I'm fucking pissed.  There's so many ways to describe the kind of twisted corporate dickbaggery this shit is.

Fan projects are what have kept sustained popular interest in Doom alive longer than any other PC game.  Without that, they probably wouldn't have been able to cash in on it the way they did in 2016.  Even if they tried, they probably would have released the shitty, badly-received first attempt at Doom 4 that they previewed years ago and scrapped, instead of the Doom 2016 that we got that was mainly a professional take on all the fan-made content of the last 20 years, and it would have bombed.

So they basically took a bunch of money from this fanbase by polishing their own ideas and selling them back to them.  Now only a few months later, they have the nerve to take a massive shit on that same community for doing precisely what gave them their big money-making product.  Fuck this shit.  If I could refund it, I would.

Also, to anyone who has any possible interest in DoomRL that hasn't downloaded the most recent version, I suggest you go do so now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:25:06 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109398 on: December 02, 2016, 11:39:59 pm »

Won't the PIRATES save us?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109400 on: December 03, 2016, 12:04:30 am »

Wasted a week reading a post-apocalyptic comic series. Nothing like a series that makes it clear how hopeless the situation is but still strings along hope to reel you in. Then nope, it gets worse. Fuck me, what a non-ending. Left me feeling heavy.

Also inadvertently pissing off a lot of people around me because of my lack of basic awareness or drive to do shit. I'm a fucking leech.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109401 on: December 03, 2016, 12:29:28 am »

Feels like this state's entire train system and all of its employees exist purely to make my life a misery.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109402 on: December 03, 2016, 01:02:11 am »

*pats Descan*

Hope you feel better soon.

@misko: *hugs*

@SalmonGod:Well that's massively asshatty.  Was it Bethesda proper, or a firm they engaged?

@BlackFlyme: *hugs*

You're not a leech.  You're someone looking for a purpose and learning life skills.

@Yoink: :o :( *pats*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109403 on: December 03, 2016, 01:05:04 am »

Not really. I don't do fuck all about the house except sit on my computer. No car, only a beginner's license. Not one for conversation. It's driving everybody up the wall, and I don't intend to do it, I'm just a forgetful, lazy shit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109404 on: December 03, 2016, 01:08:14 am »

It's Bethesda's "owners" ZeniMax (the companies consist of the same people). The really bizarre part of it all is that they've explicitly praised DoomRL as a fan project in the past.

It's not impossible that the legal department is going rogue on this one, and it wouldn't be the first time that kind of thing has happened, which would probably result in this blowing over soon.

More likely, it has something to do with Jupiter Hell's kickstarter, and more importantly John Carmack's endorsement of it. It is entirely possible this is an attempt at gaining (further) revenge on him instead of anything to do with DoomRL.

On the bright side, Jupiter Hell's kickstarter is likely to go viral tomorrow with how much the gaming media have picked up on this story. Even gaming journalism isn't evil all the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109405 on: December 03, 2016, 01:11:03 am »

@BlackFlyme: Driving and conversing don't make you productive, and doing neither doesn't make you a leech.

What are you doing on the computer?

What do you think you're forgetting?

Are you sure everyone's being driven up the wall, or is it more that you're frustrated with not being able to do these things you've mentioned?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109406 on: December 03, 2016, 01:18:43 am »

Fucking about on videogames, reddit, and other such.

I forget to take out the garbage, deal with the dishes, other chores. Don't call people I said I would. Including both family and driving instructors. I only really shower every other day instead of every day.

I've been getting screamed at and given stern talks to more and more, so I'm quite positive people are pissed at me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109407 on: December 03, 2016, 01:24:16 am »

Okay, so something I've done to remind myself to do things like chores is, I pick a time and I just...Set an alarm on my phone so I'll get out of whatever it is I'm doing to have to go shut it off.

And then you just do the thing.

If you need to call someone, the phone's right there, even.
Sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109408 on: December 03, 2016, 01:48:30 am »

It's Bethesda's "owners" ZeniMax (the companies consist of the same people). The really bizarre part of it all is that they've explicitly praised DoomRL as a fan project in the past.

It's not impossible that the legal department is going rogue on this one, and it wouldn't be the first time that kind of thing has happened, which would probably result in this blowing over soon.

More likely, it has something to do with Jupiter Hell's kickstarter, and more importantly John Carmack's endorsement of it. It is entirely possible this is an attempt at gaining (further) revenge on him instead of anything to do with DoomRL.

On the bright side, Jupiter Hell's kickstarter is likely to go viral tomorrow with how much the gaming media have picked up on this story. Even gaming journalism isn't evil all the time.

Yeah, Jupiter Hell really couldn't ask for a better marketing boost.  That delicious Streisand effect.

Especially since just about everyone is saying this is about the kickstarter.  If it is, that's ridiculously petty, and all the more reason to get out the pitchforks.

These things are often driven by a legal department that lives in a completely separate world from the content part of the company, but unfortunately there's no way to punish those separately.  And there must be punishment.

Yeah, these things happen all the time, all across every media industry.  But this is a special case.  Normally, it's just shutting down some overzealous fans of a property that has little precedent for fan-made content, and they try to do things like direct remakes of old games.  Still kinda shitty, but not in a way that's especially ironic or harmful to the whole fan community.  Here we have a case where this legal action immediately follows the successful revival of a long-dead franchise, and that revival is directly, explicitly built on decades of fan-made content.  Would not have been possible without it.  I just can't get over how shitty that is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109409 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52:29 am »

I only really shower every other day instead of every day.
please. when you go actual weeks without showering lemme know. I've probably gone months. I really do not like showering. I do it now, but damn is it forced. It only ever came totally regularly when my girlfriend showered with me, and not even that lasted forever.

I've been getting screamed at and given stern talks to more and more, so I'm quite positive people are pissed at me.
You wanna know my secret? If them yelling at you doesn't bother you enough to force you to get in line, you probably don't actually care about their opinions that much. Talk to someone you respect.

I'm over being sad for now: at least one person I knew managed to remember to tell me happy birthday to me after I had held them in a conversation for over an hour. *sigh* Just another birthday passing in the night, and life returns to its usual anonymity.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 7292 7293 [7294] 7295 7296 ... 8167