Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 64123 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »

The Catholic church needs to start taking responsibility for their own atrocity's if their going to keep preaching about how immoral everyone else is.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2009, 03:12:24 pm »

theres already been one thread locked due to religious offence reasons

and that post was largly about the pope
i like this thread and dont want it locked so watch your step guys

As for catholics
something like 3rd-1/2 the world are christian (i havnt checked this stat but its alot of people) of these are large percentage are catholic (once again im to lazy to google how many) my point is you cant really generalise several million people under one banner. Historically the catholic, and other dinominations have made major errors of judgement (im christian im allowed to say this (i hope)). But you cant bracket an entire religion under the decisions of a few, unless thoses decisions are what the faith is founded or built on.

and ive read the wiki on russels teapot, and the first half of the God delusion (i had to return it to my dad), neither rug out from under my faith.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2009, 03:21:10 pm »

The Catholic church needs to start taking responsibility for their own atrocity's if their going to keep preaching about how immoral everyone else is.

All religions share that aspect even Atheism.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:13 pm »

All religions share that aspect even Atheism.

Well, what aspect are we talking about exactly?  If it's the notion of collective blame, then it doesn't seem possible that all religions (and "religions") could be the same in that aspect, since various religions are institutionalized to different degrees.  There are always divisions within a religion, and sometimes there's no single institution at all.  If two atheists devise their frameworks independently and never communicate even indirectly, is it right to blame one for the misdeeds of the other?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »

There is no central atheist authority.  It's true that individual atheists may have that charge levelled against them, but you cannot apply it to an atheist entity.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »

How many bloody sub factions of christianity are there?!
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2009, 03:52:10 pm »

We're talking about catholicism specifically, Rilder.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

I am a Communist, American-hating, Atheist.

Everything everyone hates. (From my point of view.)

But on to the religion...or lack of...
I'm Atheist mainly because I have no proof of any sort of god in any form.
Plus my brother is atheist. He gave me the term.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:21 pm »

It's much easier to blame a collective than individuals ("The Catholic church needs to start taking responsibility for their own atrocity's if their going to keep preaching about how immoral everyone else is."). Except that it's hypocritical to ask that one should only blame individuals while you yourself are blaming a collective instead of individuals inside a collective.

On a side point, Atheism isn't an island. While it's true it can form completely inside a bubble, it's ALSO true that frameworks continue outwards by the teachings of others, and there is a rich history of Atheistic thought going back hundreds (thousands in the case of one popular quote I've seen around here) of years. While an entity can't be blamed, we CAN assume that a large portion of Atheists have shared their beliefs, and can either defend themselves as never having had a part in something they should be ashamed of, or rightly apologising.

In this vein, I am going to ask the Communist Party of China to apologise right here, right now.  >:(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2009, 04:14:21 pm »

Yes, but you still can't compare anything atheism has to the Catholic Church.  There isn't a central bank account and a central figure who bosses people around.  There is no pope of atheism.  So it's fair to demand an apology from the catholic church, as an institution, for something, but nonsensical to say the same for atheism.

Note that "The catholic church" here means the central entity, not every catholic in the world.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »

So the difference is one institution with power verses several different institutions of power?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:07 pm »

It's much easier to blame a collective than individuals ("The Catholic church needs to start taking responsibility for their own atrocity's if their going to keep preaching about how immoral everyone else is."). Except that it's hypocritical to ask that one should only blame individuals while you yourself are blaming a collective instead of individuals inside a collective.

But the catholic church isn't just a group of people with similar beliefs the way atheism or protestants dominations are. Its a centralized organization with a rigid hierarchical framework almost like a corporation.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:31 pm »

Atheism is a paradox! How can we not believe in anything, and at the same time, believe that there is no god!

How many bloody sub factions of christianity are there?!
There's Lutherin, CJC/LTS, Roman Catholic, Anglican, Protestant... I've run out of steam.

Well my mother was a Roman Catholic. But she never really wanted to be, seeing as in all of the sermons, the priest stood at the podium and talked about how every other type of christian is going to be damned to hell for their sins.

If a person is baptised, are they "locked in" to that religion for life?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »

Atheism is a paradox! How can we not believe in anything, and at the same time, believe that there is no god!
Atheists don't necessarily have no beliefs.  Paradox solved.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »

Explain?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20