Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fallout 3 mods  (Read 2543 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallout 3 mods
« on: October 09, 2009, 03:14:06 pm »

I thought of making the subject "refreshing fallout 3" or "renewing...", "rejuvenating...", etc. But it didn't look right to me...

Anyways, I got to thinking recently about just how fucking awesome fallout 3 was when I started playing it, and didn't know shit about it. Where I hadn't seen everything a dozen times, and a fight was actually a struggle rather than just sniping everyone, or entering VATS and slaughtering everything with my bare hands. Of course, fighting out of VATS was problematic, as though I have good framerate through it all, weird shit happens, mainly enemies flying the air, usually over intervening obstacles, or, in close quarters, my head, and otherwise moving in glitchy ways. Kind of ruins the fucking magic of the game after it happens a few dozen times >:O . Compounded with a general understanding of the game, every fight becomes the same effortless awesome-the-first-time-not-so-much-the-thirtieth kind of thing.

Which brings me to my point: any good mods that can breathe some life back into fallout 3 (I'm assuming the combat, as there doesn't seem to be any ambitious expansion projects, at least any that have yielded anything)? When I try looking through fallout 3 nexus I end up digging through pages of "LOL FATMAN RECHAMBREAD 2 UZ 10mm RONDS LOLOLOLOL" and end up giving up :/ .

Alternatively, just any good mods in general, or, better yet, a solution to the problem of npcs moving in glitchy ways in combat.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:58:16 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:30 pm »

I feel bad for asking this but have you played the original Fallout 1 and 2. If no then I highly recommend you to force yourself though the ancient graphics and to give those two a spin. Your time will be put to better use than replaying F3 with some mods that give everyone huge tits and pink hair or whatever...

If you have played them then please disregard this post as I cannot help you when it comes to F3 replayability. One playthrough was agonizing enough for me personally.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »

Have you tried finding all the miniquests? I haven't played FO3 in a long time, but I remembered becoming a vampire in that game and listening to some agnsty poetry. I don't quite quite remember what it said, but man, was it ever agnsty.

How about replaying certain quests, but differently? The FO3 Wiki claims that you can get certain cutscenes if you do events differently. Sparing or killing the Overseer when you escape can drastically affect a quest down the line. And there is also another example as well:

Spoiler: SUPER DUPER SPOILERS (click to show/hide)

And, of course, I could always replay FO3 and decided to kill all the vampires...instead of becoming one.

EDIT: Oh, and did you meet up with the Hilliby Cannibal Family? Plunder the UFO site? Commit election fraud in the Republic of Dave?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:13:08 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »

I fully intend to play the original games at some indeterminate point in the future. But fallout 3 is a completely different game, being an fps rather than... what are they? Turn based tactical games?

I've exhausted around 90% of the quests, and played through the main storylines (counting the addons) about two and a half times. Fallout 3 has been what I played between other games since, for some reason, I didn't get bored with it, and as a result I have really played it to death. The last thing I tried was banning the use of weapons and armor. Which actually works (about as well as running into combat in power armor with guns blazing), and has the advantage of never needing to repair anything or worry about ammo (and at hand-to-hand range, a lot of guns will fire from the wrong side of you  ::) )...

Looking through the highest rated mods on fallout3nexus, I decided the fallout wanderer's edition looked like it might refresh the gameplay. So, let's just make this about mods you've all found to be good. Probably would have been a more productive topic...

You know, I blame mothership zeta. It just sucked so hard I lost interest in the game. And that the way of scaling up new enemies in the addons for high level characters was just to give them crazy dr and health, and the case of Point Lookout a magic 35 point bonus to damage that ignores armor, no matter how shitty the weapon they were using is... The resulting combat just couldn't be played straight: you go up against a lobotomized cultist who's dressed in rags and wielding a dull knife, they take as much punishment as a super mutant master, and they shred you in a few swipes, even if you're wearing 100% repair hellfire armor >:O That resulted in "fuck it, it's not worth carrying this armor around, their weapons are so shitty that I only take a few more points of damage naked", combined with sniping even more. And just how terrible mothership zeta was. It had its moments, but was mostly just annoying shit. Really, none of the addons were that good, though both Point Lookout and The Pitt were decent, and Broken Steel, while shitty, fixed the horrendous ending by making it merely bland... Good thing I didn't pay for any of them then, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:17:00 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3 mods
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:11:35 pm »

You could always use the GECK for PC users. Or ask anyone on this forum to do some adding to the game.
I'm a freeloader so I really don't by MS Points, can't tell anything about the addons.
I just wish someone could mod the game to be exactly like Fallout 1, or 2.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 12:18:52 am »

I fully intend to play the original games at some indeterminate point in the future. But fallout 3 is a completely different game, being an fps rather than... what are they? Turn based tactical games?

They're CRPGs, same thing Fallout 3 is in name.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 04:17:48 am »

It's funny, I just started downloading some F3 mods the other day myself.

I agree that if you haven't played F1 or F2 yet, you should do that first. Like, yesterday.

However, I remember Oblivion being made into an actually decent game after heavy modification. Esp Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, some creature mod, a graphic update, and quite a few others. It really changed the whole experience. I suspect many people who worked on those have also worked/are working on F3 mods. So, in conclusion, I reckon its a worthwhile endeavour. Just take deep breaths as you wade through all the installation/compatibility instructions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it should come up first on google anyway, but try http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/top/alltime.php
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 11:03:55 am »

Mods are what makes Bethsoft games worthwhile. They saved Oblivion, they make Fallout 3 enjoyable.

Try Fook2.
!!&!!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:42:46 pm »

Mods are what makes Bethsoft games worthwhile. They saved Oblivion, they make Fallout 3 enjoyable.

Try Fook2.

My only regret is the lack of mods when compared to Morrowind.

Anywho, one interesting mod I happened to find was one that turned Fallout 3 into a Quasi-RTS. Letting you start your own town anywhere in the wastes, gathering junk to make makeshift homes and walls. Creating a workshop and making beds and such for your citizens to sleep on. It's no Dwarf Fortress, but it's worth one playthrough.

It's somewhere on Falloutnexus.com, I also think it's still in Alpha, so that that into account. It's buggy.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 03:26:37 pm »

I believe it's called Real-Time Settler.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »

Have you gotten FOOK? Have you tried MMM? How about Sharing and Caring companions?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »

You know, I blame mothership zeta. It just sucked so hard I lost interest in the game. And that the way of scaling up new enemies in the addons for high level characters was just to give them crazy dr and health, and the case of Point Lookout a magic 35 point bonus to damage that ignores armor, no matter how shitty the weapon they were using is... The resulting combat just couldn't be played straight: you go up against a lobotomized cultist who's dressed in rags and wielding a dull knife, they take as much punishment as a super mutant master, and they shred you in a few swipes, even if you're wearing 100% repair hellfire armor >:O That resulted in "fuck it, it's not worth carrying this armor around, their weapons are so shitty that I only take a few more points of damage naked", combined with sniping even more. And just how terrible mothership zeta was. It had its moments, but was mostly just annoying shit. Really, none of the addons were that good, though both Point Lookout and The Pitt were decent, and Broken Steel, while shitty, fixed the horrendous ending by making it merely bland... Good thing I didn't pay for any of them then, isn't it?

Yeah, good for you.

Why did Bethesthda focus on combat? Why not instead focus on non-combat trials skills instead, since it would be rather unlikely that people would level up that, thereby making it very hard to pull off?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:35:40 pm »

Yeah, good for you.

Why did Bethesthda focus on combat? Why not instead focus on non-combat trials skills instead, since it would be rather unlikely that people would level up that, thereby making it very hard to pull off?

What kind of FPS would it be if you resolved situations through means other than combat?
What kind of Bethsoft game would it be if you resolved situations through means other than combat?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »

I installed a Mod that removes completely the carry weight limit and started playing again. Man, it feels like the first time I was walking on glass or something, so painful. This is like, bliss...

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:52 pm »

I would love to work on a mod for Fallout 3 with a member(s) of Bay12. The GECK was really straight forward and easy to understand for me, its just that I had no motivation to do anything with it. I am sure that we could compile a ragtag team of modders to build something decent for Fallout 3. The game is epic and truly deserves it. We don't even need to go as far as modelling custom weapons or retexturing. I am certain that with what is in the GECK alone, we would be able to create a mod that was actually worth playing. Personally I am good at Mapping and Code Monkeying. I think this deserves a post in creative projects... In fact I will do that right now. Thanks for sparking this idea for me!
Pages: [1] 2