Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist needs talented pixel jockeys!  (Read 8691 times)

Angellus

Re: Dwarf Therapist needs talented pixel jockeys!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 04:38:42 pm »

I was bored, and made some icons myself:

* IDLE
 * DIG
 * REST
 * DRINK
 * FOOD
 * BUILD
 * HAUL
 * ADMIN

Use them or not, it was fun enough to make them

I really like these a lot. might you want to try them for DT Chmod?
I'd like to see how they work out on the DT background (Maybe make skins possible for DT?)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 03:29:56 pm »

Yeah I like them as well, but I worry they use too much room for the dwarf head. As I was saying we only get 16x16 to show the activity, and the dwarf head is a waste of space to me.

Angellus

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:12 am »

And the markings alone?

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 12:05:12 pm »

And the markings alone?

The markings alone I think is probably the best strategy here.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:37 am »

Well I'm not exactly talented, but I am a pixel jockey, and thus I have decided to do these! I'm reasonably happy with them, except for the last two, which I'm not really sure about. I tried to make them all have distinct outlines, though I was thinking of going a little further and colour coding each item. Feel free to use and edit as you wish:
Rest
Build
Dig
Drink
Eat
Idle
Admin
Haul

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »

Well I'm not exactly talented, but I am a pixel jockey, and thus I have decided to do these! I'm reasonably happy with them, except for the last two, which I'm not really sure about. I tried to make them all have distinct outlines, though I was thinking of going a little further and colour coding each item. Feel free to use and edit as you wish:
Rest
Build
Dig
Drink
Eat
Idle
Admin
Haul
Hey I like those! Maybe put a "XXX" on the drink barrel? And eat could probably just be a drumstick or something, I don't think they use silverware :)

I like what you did on hauling, but I worry it may be too small to convey what's going on there.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »

Rest
Build
Dig
Drink
Eat
Idle
Admin
Haul
Hey I like those! Maybe put a "XXX" on the drink barrel? And eat could probably just be a drumstick or something, I don't think they use silverware :)

I like what you did on hauling, but I worry it may be too small to convey what's going on there.
I'm not sure I could put XXX and still have it readable - by my calculations the very minimum it would need would be 11x3 just for the writing. Also, I went for the silverware for just easily recognisable, universal symbols. Dwarves don't eat poultry that much either... a truly accurate representation would be biscuits made out of horrible purple mushrooms. I can see that the drumstick might have a better aesthetic though, so I may have a go at doing that.

And yeah, I totally agree with you about the hauling stuff, but I don't really know how else to easily convey it. Perhaps a single, large diagonal arrow from A to B?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:50:52 pm »

Just have a square brown box with an arrow pointing away from it, either to the right or upper right
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:19 pm »

Whoops! Previous version was 18x18

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:12:40 pm by IDreamOfGiniCoefficient »

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

That's awesome! So clearly time to get some Sewer Brew Drank on!

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:25 pm »

That's awesome! So clearly time to get some Sewer Brew Drank on!

I agree i think that's good - any chance of getting one that is centered and a couple of better contrast options? Maybe lighten the wood color a bit so the black lines stand out more  ? More of a walnut rather than cherry wood, if you will :)
Nice1 tho.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »

<- 16x16 actual

What was this for again?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:22:57 pm by lodester »
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 01:13:47 am »

Let me know if it would be useful to redo any others- these are kind of fun.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:08:28 am by IDreamOfGiniCoefficient »

Angellus

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 03:30:03 am »

Rest
Build
Dig
Drink
Eat
Idle
Admin
Haul

I'm not sure I could put XXX and still have it readable - by my calculations the very minimum it would need would be 11x3 just for the writing. Also, I went for the silverware for just easily recognisable, universal symbols. Dwarves don't eat poultry that much either... a truly accurate representation would be biscuits made out of horrible purple mushrooms. I can see that the drumstick might have a better aesthetic though, so I may have a go at doing that.

And yeah, I totally agree with you about the hauling stuff, but I don't really know how else to easily convey it. Perhaps a single, large diagonal arrow from A to B?
I think these are best exept for the barrel and the food (maybe just the silverware? Just to be recognisable to us.).

Let me know if it would be useful to redo any others- these are kind of fun.
This is the barrel we're looking for :D

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 12:03:14 pm »

Yeah Gini's barrel is a winner for sure. I think it's great. I'm thinking idle should just be a simple red dot or stopsign. Something that is easy to identify among the others. Also hauling still just isn't quite right. It's very hard to convey the A -> B thing in an icon. Maybe just a simple arrow?
Pages: 1 [2] 3