Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: legendary champions are not so legendary  (Read 638 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
legendary champions are not so legendary
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:36:27 am »

atm champions are pretty easy to aquire. select ten dwarfs give them armour, assign them to one squad, allow to spar. In about a year you will have at least half of the original number as legendary wrestlers, and thus titled champions.

whilst this system works, there doesnt seem to be anything particually legendary about it to me.

I suggest for a dwarf to achieve legendary status they must gain xp through battle, or intiation proceedures.

Sparing should stop improving the dorfs skills once they reach somewhere between expert and great. After this combat experience should be required.

one interesting idea might be to set an intiation for a specific skill, skill level or squad entry, kind of like the SAS have to achieve certain feats to join. So for example you could create a labyrithn and drop your soldier into it. He must kill a captured monster or enemies and then escape the maze. Whilst this idea sounds cool to me, getting the game to recognise an intiation proceedure and its charactersitcs may not be possible.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: legendary champions are not so legendary
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:05:52 pm »

This has been discussed before...  As it stands, Champions are getting an overhaul in the next release.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58:30 am »

Sparing should stop improving the dorfs skills once they reach somewhere between expert and great. After this combat experience should be required.

I'd stop the XP at Expert. The next rank is Professional so it'd make sense if reaching it through combat made the dwarf an Elite

I'd make sparring without veteran supervision only grant XP until Competent

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

Though I guess you could up it by competing in serious competitions or actual duels.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:45:21 am »

Though I guess you could up it by competing in serious competitions or actual duels.

... This would give us a real use for those gladiatorial arenas people keep talking about.

"Oh... sparred yourself to the xp cap, huh?  Guess it's your turn in the arena, Urist.  Go see if you can live through the 'Lion's Den.'"  And then he does, and BAM!  More xp.  Maybe not another whole level, but more xp.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!