Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TOKENS for a much more FUN Goblins.  (Read 795 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
TOKENS for a much more FUN Goblins.
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:22:19 pm »

I've come up with a mature fortress, and the current goblins just aren't challenging or fun anymore. I've done a little editing; adding [NOFEAR] and changing their size to 8. I've only experienced 2 ambushes that weren't particularly challenging. Is there anything else I can add to spice things up?
Yeah yeah yeah!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TOKENS for a much more FUN Goblins.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »

add [NOPAIN], [NONAUSEA] etc. include more for harder gobbos. also, you could try upping their [liTTERSIZE::] to make them more populous.

i think you can also remove some tags from trolls and beak dogs(eg [EVIL]) to make them more common, but ive never done it myself

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:29:42 pm »

I find [LOCKPICKER] makes them pretty fun if your main defense is traps or doors. Also, size 8 is nothing. Put it to 400, then they'll be extra fun. And you can add superpowered weapons (65535 damage ranged bludgeon weapons will have chunks of your dwarves making craters of fun in random places all around the world) for them to make them ultrabadass but you get awesome rewards if you can actually beat them.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:48:35 am »

add [NOPAIN], [NONAUSEA] etc. include more for harder gobbos. also, you could try upping their [liTTERSIZE::] to make them more populous.

i think you can also remove some tags from trolls and beak dogs(eg [EVIL]) to make them more common, but ive never done it myself

Does [liTTERSIZE] really work that way? I thought that most attacker goblins were generated as soon as the siege/ambush began, completely from scratch, which seems to be independent of littersize. Also, when I check the legends of races with large littersizes, they still only have one child per year.

Considering giving them extra arms or other interesting features from other races like fire breath. I don't give them trap avoid myself because it accomplishes the same thing to not make traps for defense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:50:51 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 04:52:12 am »

I find [LOCKPICKER] makes them pretty fun if your main defense is traps or doors. Also, size 8 is nothing. Put it to 400, then they'll be extra fun. And you can add superpowered weapons (65535 damage ranged bludgeon weapons will have chunks of your dwarves making craters of fun in random places all around the world) for them to make them ultrabadass but you get awesome rewards if you can actually beat them.

400 would make them literally unbeatable, except by a piercing weapon removing all of their internal organs with a single strike.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:59:48 pm »

I've tried that.  It does make trolls and beak dogs appear everywhere (and it also requires you to gen a new world), however since they now lack [EVIL], they don't seem to get used by goblins who have [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS].  I've tried genning a world with nonevil trolls and beak dogs then adding [EVIL] while in fortress mode, but it doesn't seem to work.  I haven't tried to see if adding [EVIL] before starting a fortress would work yet.  The best bet for having goblins or orcs bring mounts into battle is simply to increase the minimum evil in the world in worldgen and hoping they settle somewhere evil.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »

Making them faster can make a big difference too.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:46:24 pm »

Hell, even once you get to size 40ish things are pretty hard to beat if they outnumber you.
I made some size/damblock: 40 goblins, my cheated champions(legendary in everything) still couldn't beat them, but it was 4 to 6-8.