Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?  (Read 2985 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: why can't dwarves make wooden weapons?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:55 pm »

"Alright, I made some training weapons for 'ya..."
 "Those ain't weapons! Those be sticks! What am I gonna learn from a buncha sticks? What will my troops learn from a buncha sticks?"
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 01:17:50 pm »

Anyway, the proper solution here isn't so much to enable dwarves to make wooden weapons as it is to make sparring less dangerous so you don't need training weapons. And that's coming with the instructor system.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:23 pm »

According to the Wiki there seems to be a [WOOD] tag that allows objects to be constructed from wood, but appearently it works only for trap components (unless the wiki needs an update) so if Toady was to change this tag to allow it also for weapons or armor the problem would be solved.

I never tried using silver for (training) weapons since for some reason I find more gold then silver and right now in my heavy modded game gold and silver are both extremely rare, however another option might also be:
1. copy/paste the raw information for any given weapon with the skill you want to train…
2. give it a name for example training axe/sword/mace (whatever)…
3. give it the [CAN_STONE] tag allows to build it with 1 obsidian rock and 1 wood instead of 1 metal bar. Provided you have obsidian on your map of course.
4. make damage done by that weapon very low.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »

According to the Wiki there seems to be a [WOOD] tag that allows objects to be constructed from wood, but appearently it works only for trap components (unless the wiki needs an update) so if Toady was to change this tag to allow it also for weapons or armor the problem would be solved.

I never tried using silver for (training) weapons since for some reason I find more gold then silver and right now in my heavy modded game gold and silver are both extremely rare, however another option might also be:
1. copy/paste the raw information for any given weapon with the skill you want to train…
2. give it a name for example training axe/sword/mace (whatever)…
3. give it the [CAN_STONE] tag allows to build it with 1 obsidian rock and 1 wood instead of 1 metal bar. Provided you have obsidian on your map of course.
4. make damage done by that weapon very low.

Many players do this already since the obsidian shortswords are badly overpowered. Ideally, they will be so fragile that players will only use them until they can get their hands on metals, but right now it's just an easy route to high quality steel-class weapons.

At bare minimum, stone axes, clubs, spears, and hammers should be added to the vanilla game. They're fairly dwarven - children of stone and all that - and they could provide the player with the ability to make less powerful (or less valuable once weapons and armor start wearing out in combat) training weapons.

And I stand by what I said about the elves. Elvish wood gear should be at least on the level of bronze. Otherwise elvish weapons and armor will never be useful.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:12 pm »

Seems as though a wooden weapon would have a completely different feel and require special techniques to properly wield.

I'd rather just have training weapons.  With the new material raws, its no longer just assigning a percent to a material, and abusing the fact that a wooden weapon is pathetic seems a little exploity (though currently justified).
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 06:04:50 am »

it'll be nice when the sparring thing is figured out so you don't have to switch out weapons everytime.  that is just so tedious.  and not the fun old regular dwarfy kind of tedious.  the i really want to play but i can't stand the thought of switching out all those weapons so i am just going to walk away tedious.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 06:36:56 am »

I just let 'em spar with iron or steel. Really, in the current version all you need is about 3 Champions and a load of Marksdwarves to help them fight off clowns
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:05 am »

Just for a start

Goodness the sad part is there is probably 20 wooden weapon topics.

Some cultures didn't train with wooden weapons and why would they? Unless wood somehow gains the weight and feel of steel I don't see why they would. Prevent Injuries? Pansy talk! it builds character!

Katana were much lighter and much more expencive but even then they did train with them occasionally.
-Also lets ignore that the Japanese fought with Wooden Katana without armor with the sole intention that bones would be broken. In fact death by wooden sword wasn't all that uncommon, you would be considered foolish if you thought you were safe because you were fighting with a wooden weapon.

Once again the real solution to training accidents isn't to take them out or make them supremely unlikely (As almost everyone was bound to have a few in their lifetime) but to stop Dwarves from wetting themselves and holing themselves up in their rooms for months because they stubbed their toe. Heck even then, while someone with a broken leg can't do all the kinds of training as their kin can, they still could do other forms of training.

Why arn't there more suggestions about that?

Note: I don't mind the suggestion that allows modded in wooden weapons. Mods usually are exempt from this

Note 2: The new armor revisions should also make armor more effective. Your not likely to have peirced hearts while sparing... Though I've only have three accidental deaths max in my forts (Yay I am amazing!)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:44:55 am by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:22 am »

I think the issue is less unspecified injuries (which are cool), but the frequency with which the injuries are perminent brain or spine damage

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 09:13:13 am »

I think the issue is less unspecified injuries (which are cool), but the frequency with which the injuries are perminent brain or spine damage

With the advent of the non-squishy head and spine in the next release. Those should also be cut down.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:19 am »

if they can make giant axe blades out of wood then i think they would have the knowledge to make some just a little smaller.  and dwarves may not be the most intelligent at times, i am pretty sure they wouldn't try to make a wooden sword the same way they make a metal sword.  i think the "fire bad, wood burn" concept is within the grasp of most dwarves.

has toady ever explained why dwarves can't make wooden weapons?  i get the feeling it is more of a programming issue rather than whether or not dwarves can, can't, or don't care to make wooden weapons.

The problem here, in my opinion, is that dwarves can make giant axe blades out of wood, not that they can't make weapons out of wood.

I don't see why it would be a programming issue at all; that doesn't make sense to me, since they'd follow the exact same rules as stone or metal weapons.

The issue is, in my opinion, that dwarves just don't work with wood enough to know (or even bother trying to know) how to make effective deadly weapons out of the stuff. Sure, they apparently work with it enough to make furniture and stuff, but that doesn't require the same kind of skills as building or using a weapon. And like it's been mentioned before, a wooden weapon doesn't feel the same as a metal one anyway.

Really, nobody but the elves would bother making good weapons of war out of wood, of all things.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 01:31:46 pm »

creating a giant axe blade is easy, just take a block of wood and chop it into a wedge, a wooden sword sharp enough to draw blood or armor that still allows some degree of movement is something else entirely.

I'm have no idea how to explain the serrated disks ???
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 02:37:21 pm »

Training wouldn't be the only application of a wooden weapon like I mentioned in my similar suggestion, stone age style technology and weapons would be very cool, possibly even create a new layer of mythology to help seperate the DF dorf from the Tolkien dwarf

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_GIANTAXEBLADE]
[NAME:axe blade:axe blades]
[ADJECTIVE:giant]
[DAMAGE:220:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:160]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[METAL]

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW]
[NAME:corkscrew:corkscrews]
[ADJECTIVE:enormous]
[DAMAGE:150:PIERCE]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[IS_SCREW]
[WOOD]
[METAL]

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_SPIKEDBALL]
[NAME:ball:balls]
[ADJECTIVE:spiked]
[DAMAGE:100:PIERCE]
[WEIGHT:100]
[HITS:3]
[CRIT_BOOST:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[WOOD]
[METAL]

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_LARGESERRATEDDISC]
[NAME:disc:discs]
[ADJECTIVE:large, serrated]
[DAMAGE:120:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:100]
[HITS:3]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[METAL]

[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_MENACINGSPIKE]
[NAME:spike:spikes]
[ADJECTIVE:menacing]
[DAMAGE:150:PIERCE]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[IS_SPIKE]
[WOOD]
[METAL]

Let's all note which of these can actually be made from wood, yes?  Giant axe blades and serrated discs are not among them.

I think the only reason dwarves can make wooden corkscrews is so that we don't need glass or metal to make pumps.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4