Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12556 12557 [12558] 12559 12560 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15831196 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #188355 on: December 19, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »

My name is unisex but also was a girl's name primarily while growing up. I was very large and therefore did not get made fun of, but still.

I can't do comical Australian accents. I am bad at it. However, I do have a friend who can do a nigh-perfect imitation of Mickey Mouse and Morgan freeman both. He has some serious range.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188356 on: December 19, 2018, 09:36:51 pm »

I don't have a child, but I can't shake the feeling that you're not doing your kid any favors by giving them a 'unique' name. You're just making it harder for everyone else to spell it when they need to. I work in a hospital, so getting the correct spelling on people's names comes up every day, so I'm always questioning "Why did you need to name him Dayvyd?  Why can't you be happy with David like the rest of the world?"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:38:30 pm by JoshuaFH »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188357 on: December 19, 2018, 09:59:34 pm »

That's not a unique name, that's just a dumb spelling of a boring name. Doubly uncreative.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #188358 on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

I am reminded of a news story about a woman who named her kid "ABCDE" (pronounced "Ab-city" apparently?) and got pissed when a flight attendant took a picture of the kid's boarding pass and put it on social media because of "name shaming" (and not because of the fact it included personal information which would have been a reasonable complaint)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #188359 on: December 19, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »

My name is unisex but also was a girl's name primarily while growing up. I was very large and therefore did not get made fun of, but still.
Hey, me too. Except I wasn't large. Never really had much trouble on that front, though. Mild violence seemed to cut most of that off before it really started...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188360 on: December 19, 2018, 11:19:39 pm »

My name is phonetically unisex, but spelled completely differently by gender (and from different cultures).  Which seems great for a genderfluid, but not really.  I'm too used to spelling it (and my last name) out, after being burned a few times.

I'm pretty sure I'd go by Rowan.  Might, someday.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to say Banjo with an Australian accent.
Say bay but stretch the a sound out and let your mouth kinda roll around it before cutting it short by noting that it's actually Bay 'n Joe.
Dude, this made me LOL.
That's actually perfect - a perfect description of how one might say it with a really exaggerated version of the stereotypical Australian accent.
Like, the sort of over-the-top voice my friends and I might actually lapse into from time-to-time whilst making "ironic" jokes about bogans or something. Hahaha I actually heard it quite clearly. Nice.   
It made me laugh too, because it sounds sorta-kinda right yet but with a "southern drawl" elongation.
What if Australian but Southern USA
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #188361 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:48 pm »

I am reminded of a news story about a woman who named her kid "ABCDE" (pronounced "Ab-city" apparently?) and got pissed when a flight attendant took a picture of the kid's boarding pass and put it on social media because of "name shaming" (and not because of the fact it included personal information which would have been a reasonable complaint)

Well, it’s kind of a dick move when you’re essentially laughing at a child and their identity, particularly when you should be helpful, and not a dick. Parent’s may be foolish for naming their child that, but don’t make the kid feel bad about it; it’s not their fault their parents’ want to stand out.

My nickname is hector, ‘cause I wear glasses. I had some people in school get offended on my behalf, which was most bemusing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188362 on: December 20, 2018, 12:38:18 am »

I don't have a child, but I can't shake the feeling that you're not doing your kid any favors by giving them a 'unique' name. You're just making it harder for everyone else to spell it when they need to. I work in a hospital, so getting the correct spelling on people's names comes up every day, so I'm always questioning "Why did you need to name him Dayvyd?  Why can't you be happy with David like the rest of the world?"

I agree, as long as we're not including regional/dialectal/language-specific variants of names. Mikkel, Danjel and Love is a thousand times cooler than Michael/Mikael, Daniel, or Louis.

Well, it’s kind of a dick move when you’re essentially laughing at a child and their identity, particularly when you should be helpful, and not a dick.

No. It's exactly for reasons like this Sweden has an authority that decides what you can name your children. Those parents need to be shamed into oblivion, or at least into changing their child's name.

My nickname is hector, ‘cause I wear glasses. I had some people in school get offended on my behalf, which was most bemusing.

I don't get it. Is it because glasses are so heckktin' cool?
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188363 on: December 20, 2018, 12:58:49 am »

...Sweden has an authority that decides what you can name your children.
Thas pretty fugged up. You should be able to name your spawn whatever the hell you please.
Not like they can't change it later if they're really sure they don't like it by the time they reach adulthood.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188364 on: December 20, 2018, 01:48:23 am »

...Sweden has an authority that decides what you can name your children.
Thas pretty fugged up. You should be able to name your spawn whatever the hell you please.
Not like they can't change it later if they're really sure they don't like it by the time they reach adulthood.   
No, you shouldn't. For the same reason that you shouldn't be able to abuse your kid. Because if you call your kid Hitler, or Sweaty McFuckpants, they won't have a good time growing up. M'kay?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188365 on: December 20, 2018, 03:10:57 am »

I'm pretty sure I'd go by Rowan.  Might, someday.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You'll get your name mispronounced and misspelt a LOT.  A lot a lot.  Roland, rohan, rowen or rowin at the top end and william or wayland at the far reaches (especially on telephones).  It's a good name, a strong name for strong people who, because of their endurance and inflexible will to win go from conquest to conquest leaving fire in their wake (bonus points if you understand the reference).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188366 on: December 20, 2018, 03:26:27 am »

It was discussed by my parents that a fitting name for me might be "Leif Erik", in the common Norwegian tradition of giving someone two first names (such as Billy Bob). They thankfully decided against it, as I ended up spending most of my formative years in the US.

As for naming kids weird stuff just ask the Zappas... The doctor at Dweezil's birth refused to write the name down on the certificate, but when young Dweezil came of age he immediately had his name officially changed to Dweezil in order to fully embrace it. I don't think his sisters Moon Unit and Diva Muffin went through the same journey, nor did his brother Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa.

urrn
My American grandmother has her roots in Pennsylvania, among a few other parts of the Midwest.

She's currently living out her days in Washington (as in the state north of Argon) and snacking on the occasional arnj. She's also mentioned one of her younger relatives, Irk, a few times.

Oregon, orange, Eric

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #188367 on: December 20, 2018, 03:36:48 am »

But what if I want to name my kid "Manly McBeefington"?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188368 on: December 20, 2018, 03:41:38 am »

More power to you, dude. Just don't be surprised when it grows up to become a vegetarian at the earliest opportunity. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188369 on: December 20, 2018, 04:03:03 am »

As long as it's a girl.
Pages: 1 ... 12556 12557 [12558] 12559 12560 ... 13326