Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12220 12221 [12222] 12223 12224 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15779433 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: [wao] An uncorrectable meme threatens the squids. (Happy thread)
« Reply #183315 on: October 01, 2017, 08:40:51 am »

Lolololololll, look at the kid trying to be insightful. So cute!

;P

Pretty much this. Minus the winky face.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183316 on: October 01, 2017, 08:42:30 am »

As a guy pushing 21: you'll be legally an adult. Most people won't be consider you one until you're like 25-27.

But congrats on getting to the legal benchmark, it's important nonetheless.

Welcome to the marvelous world of second-guessing your adulthood for approximately the next decade based on arbitrary and unclear criteria!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183317 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:21 am »

Tomatoes are a fruit because seeds, rip. Also my favorite fruit, my daughter grows great and tasty somewhat sweet and firm ones I can just eat slices of all day.
Are peppers fruit then? They have seeds.

Squashes, too.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183318 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:56 am »

Peapods and beans are also fruit. So is wheat grain. :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #183319 on: October 01, 2017, 11:41:56 am »

Peppers are fruit, yes. They're related to tomatoes, even.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #183320 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:08 pm »

Basically, there are two definitions of fruit: a botanical and a culinary one.  Nuts and vegetables are much the same.  As such, a tomato is a (botanical) fruit: a seed-bearing structure formed from the ovary after flowering.  It is also a (culinary) vegetable due to its use in cooking and under tax purposes.  It also also is comprised of (botanical) vegetable matter.  There's a similar rant some people make about nuts in the opposite direction: cashews, almonds, pecans, and walnuts aren't true nuts in a botanical sense, though they're all the seeds from fruit.  Yes, a walnut and its shell is indeed a fruit, as is an almond and its shell.

However, as fun as it is to say "tomato is not a fruit" by misusing one definition to apply to the wrong context then screech about how science is "doing it wrong", to go back to how this argument started in the first place, it's really not Happy, now, is it?
Besides, why not point out that "fruit" originally meant *all* products of the soil, including vegetables, nuts, and corns...err, grains? Anyone who uses it only to refer to sweet or sour fleshy, seed-containing plant matter edible raw is obviously using it wrong.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:28:24 pm by Culise »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183321 on: October 01, 2017, 12:44:53 pm »

Forget tomatoes and watermelon, you guys are the best fruits <3
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #183322 on: October 01, 2017, 01:16:43 pm »

I guess the pumpkin soup I just made was technically a fruit soup as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183323 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »

If you had bread with the soup, then you had fruit soup with fruit bread, which sounds kinda horrible.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #183324 on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

I am Froot
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #183325 on: October 01, 2017, 03:40:02 pm »

Basically, there are two definitions of fruit: a botanical and a culinary one.  Nuts and vegetables are much the same.  As such, a tomato is a (botanical) fruit: a seed-bearing structure formed from the ovary after flowering.  It is also a (culinary) vegetable due to its use in cooking and under tax purposes.  It also also is comprised of (botanical) vegetable matter.  There's a similar rant some people make about nuts in the opposite direction: cashews, almonds, pecans, and walnuts aren't true nuts in a botanical sense, though they're all the seeds from fruit.  Yes, a walnut and its shell is indeed a fruit, as is an almond and its shell.

However, as fun as it is to say "tomato is not a fruit" by misusing one definition to apply to the wrong context then screech about how science is "doing it wrong", to go back to how this argument started in the first place, it's really not Happy, now, is it?
Besides, why not point out that "fruit" originally meant *all* products of the soil, including vegetables, nuts, and corns...err, grains? Anyone who uses it only to refer to sweet or sour fleshy, seed-containing plant matter edible raw is obviously using it wrong.

It's not culinary, it's sociological, cultural, and aboriginal - science has appropriated a word which already had a meaning and a proper and meaningful usage and then arrogantly declared the said definition "wrong" :P

Also it does make me Happy!
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #183326 on: October 02, 2017, 01:01:48 am »

EDIT: Actually, no.  I am not letting myself get dragged into this kind of stupid argument because you decided to piss in everyone's cornflakes to make yourself feel happy, especially while you decide to accuse everyone else of doing what you did to start this entire thing.  It'd be a boring world if we were all the same, but if your happiness comes from proving other people wrong, and worse, doing so by willfully blinding yourself?  You do as you wish, but I'm not going to eat those cornflakes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:17:47 am by Culise »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #183327 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:45 am »

You seem to be taking this quite a lot more seriously than Scriver. Particularly given they opened by declaring their definition of a fruit arbitrary. I don't think they're aiming to piss in anyone's cornflakes, just poke a bit of fun at how casually English (and possibly other languages, in this case) approach(es) ambiguity and redefining specific words in different contexts in a decently random fashion.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183328 on: October 02, 2017, 03:00:39 am »

The "botanic" usage is apparently older however.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fruit

Originally in English meaning all products of the soil (vegetables, nuts, grain, acorns); modern narrower sense is from early 13c.

So the sweet-fruit people are you upstart 13th century revisionists. Which is also born out in e.g. German. "Fruckt" is the botanical term, and "obst" is the culinary term.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #183329 on: October 02, 2017, 04:35:04 am »

I demand multiple, simultaneous and devastating defensive cake strikes!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 12220 12221 [12222] 12223 12224 ... 13325