Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11871 11872 [11873] 11874 11875 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15805472 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: [*PEW*] All the bacon in the world can't save you now! (Happy thread)
« Reply #178080 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »

At which point things went distinctly...ah, unhappy for the Happy Thread.  No one said Yoink or other posters should stop drinking or that they were horrible people; in fact, what was originally brought up was that abstaining itself was horrifying.
I mean, maybe if you clicked "reply" right after he posted that and ignored everything posted after it.  :P
I apologize, but could you point me to where people explicitly suggested all others should not drink?  The closest I can find is a possible implication if one reads strongly into Sergarr's use of "mind-impairing drugs," but that was in direct reaction to Yoink stating that declining alcohol was itself horrifying, or Kabal suggesting that people who were congenital alcoholics declining alcohol was itself not horrifying, either (before also stating explicitly that they didn't care if anyone drank, so long as they didn't claim it was good for them, though they did state their dislike for it).  I do believe it's at least rather clear that I didn't "click 'reply' right after [Yoink]", though, especially as it's fairly clear the point I responded to was Harry's "simpler level" for Kabal, which I felt overgeneralized the matter.  It doesn't matter if it's alcohol, cigarettes, or NASCAR; it's fine in and of itself to not like something that other people around you happen to like. :P

EDIT:
Which, I should add, I wonder if it isn't Harry's actual opinion as well, that questionable statement aside.  After all, before the overgeneralization, he had limited himself to simply the virulent expression of that dislike.  The problem was simply that he stated that simply disliking something was enough to be a "fast track to exclusion" in addition to actually expressing that dislike on a constant basis. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:56:12 pm by Culise »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178081 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

I would like to respond to that, but unfortunately the only way to respond to such idiocy would also fall quite clearly outside the realm of "chill".
I can tack up a lot of what people say as idiocy and people still bother to entertain it. The difference is that I know and have seen that alcohol has nearly no positives.
Whatever you say, kid. :P
Don't be edgy. We get it, you like to drink.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #178082 on: November 18, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »

To be fair, they were forming a sort of, one could say, sobriety league (;
It's like AA, but for non-alcoholics!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178083 on: November 18, 2016, 07:10:55 pm »

And not anonymous
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178084 on: November 18, 2016, 07:38:15 pm »

Wait, what? I'm the one being edgy? Do you even read any of this guy's posts? ???

That aside, I just woke up and need coffee before I can really wade back into this argument. Then again, wading back into this argument is probably a bad idea, especially in the happy thread of all places. So, I will just point out that my main issue is people acting like there's some kind of moral superiority to be gained from not drinking.

And those who state that they have never tried alcohol and do not intend to seem especially foolish.
You haven't even tried this entirely legal recreational substance and yet you're going to mindlessly jump on the bandwagon of people saying how bad it is? Yeah, great job being an independent thinker, guys. I felt pretty much the same way when I was a wee lad in highschool, seeing (or well, hearing about at least) the douche-tacular cool kids having their parties and drinking underage. I hated those knuckledraggers so much that I began to hate the whole idea of drinking as well.

But, I kept my mind open and, years later, gave alcohol a try.
I found it to be a most beneficial experience. Heck, if I had never tried alcohol I probably would have never moved out of my mother's house in the first place. Oh gods that's a scary thought. My social anxiety might be pretty bad now, but before I discovered alcohol it was far, far worse. Interacting with people whilst tipsy or drunk is a lot easier than doing it sober, but you do in fact get to keep some of those skills with practice.

Anyway, shit. Started to ramble there. I'm still half-asleep, stayed up far too late playing... shit, I'm not sure. LCS and Avernum, I think.
Obviously, if one had a diagnosed medical condition that makes drinking a bad idea for them, drinking is a bad idea for them. My above little argument/rant applies solely to those who refuse to even try alcohol purely on "holier than thou" grounds and/or rebelliousness against the idea of doing anything popular. You goddamn edgelords.

Right, time to go get a coffee.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #178085 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »

Wait, what? I'm the one being edgy? Do you even read any of this guy's posts? ???
From what I know, when KoSS says you're edgy, he means it figuratively :P
But it's great seeing your social anxiety being worked on plus the 'nicely edgy' stuff you're doing now! :D

I however have no idea what edgy means other than imagining people being pointy and sharp. Like aesthetically pointed armor and all.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178086 on: November 18, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »

Edgy:Like, you know what a Mary Sue is, but with D: instead of 'i am the fix everything'.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178087 on: November 18, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »

Edge is sorta hard to define. The way I see it, it's like... trying too hard to be cool, sorta? Longcoats, katanas, blood, darkness—all that stuff is considered edgy, when it's used poorly.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178088 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:25 pm »

The term is kinda over-used these days. Still... there is a lot of edgy stuff to make fun of. :-\

Anyway, onto some actual Happies: my housemates have gone out somewhere and I am relishing the peace and quiet. I was in the kitchen making a cup of coffee and it was just... so, very, quiet. The window was open and a slight breeze was blowing some vague, pleasantly nostalgic scents in from afar, and it was nice.
They'll be back soon, sure. But for now, it's nice.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178089 on: November 18, 2016, 08:02:38 pm »

Longcoats, katanas, blood, darkness
Only cool when you put them all together at once in a pseudo-victorian fantasy land with werewolves and elder gods.
Or maybe I'm just edgy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #178090 on: November 18, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »

By comparison with prior years, I am in extremely good shape. I have been bicycling six miles and walking up/back down a really absurdly steep hill most weekdays for the better part of a year now, all while carrying an excessively heavy backpack, and while I remain a human stick figure, I can do lots of stuff and remain breathing and functional, and presumably am gaining some amount of upper body strength as a result of the backpack.

Also, I turned in a calculus project I've been stressing out about for three weeks now today, and got another couple days to work on a different project that I need to get done.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #178091 on: November 18, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »

Pokemon Moon is rad. Especially the writing, which is honestly surprising from a Pokemon game :V

It feels like an anime tbh, and that's pretty great. Team Skull is pretty funny, and the characters are personalized well.

Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178092 on: November 18, 2016, 08:25:40 pm »

Longcoats, katanas, blood, darkness
Only cool when you put them all together at once in a pseudo-victorian fantasy land with werewolves and elder gods.
Or maybe I'm just edgy.
Bloodborne is awesome and not edgy because it... Aah, how to put it... Right. Okay. The setting has legitimate reasons FOR these things to be there, and not only that- It's never played up just to make shit look cool, you know? It, like all Souls games, is very honest and frank on how fucked up and horrible things are.

Perhaps I'm putting this wrong. Iunno, I'm a little sleepy anyway.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178093 on: November 18, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »

By comparison with prior years, I am in extremely good shape.
That's great to hear! Keep up the good work. :)

@KoSS: Everything I've seen/read about Bloodborne suggests it has "edgy" out the wazoo. I remember laughing aloud at the trailer, let alone the full game.
From what I've played of the rest of the Souls games they seem to manage to be just... impressively bleak, without comedic edginess. Bloodborne, not so much.
Fakeedit: Hahaha, just Google'd it and saw the cover. Man that game is hilarious.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #178094 on: November 18, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »

I had a great book idea, and have been working for the past two days to flesh it out. I've drawn out maps and written notes. I'm so glad that I've finally started conceptualising my own, independent work. I mean, so far I've only done some world building and have only a basic idea of plot and characters, but it's a start!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11871 11872 [11873] 11874 11875 ... 13325